480 at 150 yds

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
I've been wanting to check out my Alan Harton Bisley 480 to see where the single gold bar he installed would zero. I had a hunch, because of where it shot at 100 yds that the gold bar would be very close at 150 yds.
Setting up the 25 yd pistol target & then walking back to 150 yds, the target looked the size of a BB, not much to hold on with iron sights, that & I still don't have my glasses back so for the second time in 3 days I had to shoot without them.
Using the same proven load of 20 grs of 4227 & a 350 gr LFN (perhaps 1050 fps) I settled into my chair (Elmer Keith position) & slipped my now famous Pittsburg Steelers Crocs onto my foot stool. As I started to load the gun one of first rounds showed a split in the case, I had just reloaded these before leaving the house, perhaps this was the load that had shot high 3 days earlier, at least I'd like to think so!
So I ended up shooting a nine shot group, as you can see 8 of them are in the target, one was in the head of the IPSC target just above the paper.
They ended up being 8 shots in 16" at 150 yds, thats perfect for this gold bar in my eyes. A nice brisk 12-15 mph wind, the sun hard on my right shoulder & old eyes with iron sights, I'll just have to live with it.

100_2333.jpg

Dick

americal

Hunter
THAT is not bad shooting :) I bet you can bring it in some, not bad first time out--- I would not even attempt to shoot that kind of load :lol: my old hands would suffer to the max--the glasses WILL help--still deadly at 150 yds :!: I sure would not stand down range at 150 yds & give you a shot at my BIG fanny :wink:

contender

Ruger Guru
Doesn't surprise me one bit,,,,,!
I'd try a few things next. A bigger target with a orange 10" center dot,, get your glasses back,, and assume the position,, and it will probably tighten up a bit.

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Dick, I know you could shoot better if callshot wouldn't move the target around so much while holding it over his head :lol: . Tell him to settle down !

callshot

Blackhawk
Well, Dick, at least you got out and know about where it is sighted in for. I would post one of my targets, but they are still in mint condition. No bullets holes to mess them up. I can use the same target all summer long. Less expensive that way. As Fermin would say Can'tshoot. I wouldn't ever dare to wear any crocks like that, because you would say that my hammer toes look like blackhawk type hammers instead of the Bisley type. You would probably mention the holes in my socks and misshaped toe nails. I was going to get things straightened out when my ship came in, but I was at the airport and missed it. You should wear your running shoes just in case you miss the bear and it comes to eat your lunch. :lol: Have a good time hunting. Steve

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
Nice shooting Dick but I'd like to see the target after you get those specs back also.That has got to be tough shooting without them.I don't where prescription glasses but do use reading glasses a lot and even use a 1.5 diopter pair for shooting when I can.They really make the sights look crisp but they blur out the target.I can shoot to 100 yds with them but I'm not sure I'd dare try 150.

The sights are so fuzzy these days that I don't like to take shots past 50 yds without them.

I think you found where that bar shoots but I bet with your glasses,that group will shrink dramatically.That's a serious hunting gun.I like it a lot.If I had to pick the perfect hunting revolver for everything,that probably would be it.