45 Blackhawk 7.5 Convertible--Special Run?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

trapperon

Blackhawk
A local dealer has a 45 Blackhawk Convertible in stock with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. Is this a special distributor model that anyone knows of? I have not seen this cataloged in many years in the 7 1/2. It is new production blued with lock and black plastic cheskered grips. anybody else seen one of these?

Ron

Ruber

Single-Sixer
Ron,
I picked one up 2-3 years ago that was a Davidson's run of 7 1/2 .45 convertible Blackhawks. It's pretty nice, warning on the bottom of the barrel. At the time the Davidson's price on it was so good, I'm still in sticker shock of the basic .357 Blackhawks I'm seeing in the stores now. Only hassles were the lock and the cheese grater grips. Here's mine after a few 'tweaks'....

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=112898

trapperon

Blackhawk
Ruber

Nice looking revolver. I have a hard time passing up any 7 1/2 inch big bore!! Any thoughts on the ACP Cylinder--do you ever shoot it really? I have resisted a comvertible Blackhawk forever, thinking I would only shoot 45 Colt anyways and never the ACP cylinder. Was just thinking of picking one up because its just a little different I guess. I do have a new 7.5 45 Blackhawk and it came with correct cylinder throats from the factory--shoots just great!

Ron

GaryA

Single-Sixer
I recently picked one up. It had come from:

WILLIAMS SHOOTERS SUPPLY INC.

1813 Quintron Way
Quincy, IL 62305
Tel: 217-222-4195 Fax: 217-222-1061

Don't know if they still have any or not. Note that they are wholesale only.

Ruber

Single-Sixer
Ron,
I load all my own rounds, so I typically only run my .45 Autos through my 1911 and my .45 Colts through the Blackhawk.

But the kids use the .45 Auto cylinder a lot. When the whole family goes shooting (niece, nephew, etc.), it's easy to go through 1,000 + rounds in an afternoon, so being able to pick up some bulk ammo (or have their dad pick some up) is really nice.

In other words, I wouldn't break the bank to get the convertible, but it comes in handy!!

ps. mine did come with the 'S' marked sticker on the box and I'll look up the serial number to give you a range for comparison, but I'm pretty sure it was an early 2008 gun (I joined the forum to discuss hunting loads for this particular gun...).

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
It comes up here pretty often whether or not the a.c.p. cylinder will shoot well. I have had one for several years (mine is a NM pre-warning) and I am continually amazed at the accuracy with those stubby little bullets.

trapperon

Blackhawk
Well....couldnt take it any longer. went and put on lay a way the 7.5 convertible. It did come from williams too. $469 was the price. I appreciate all the feedback as well!

Ron

Dale53

Blackhawk
I don't have a raft of experience with dozens of .45 Colt/.45 ACP Convertibles, but after I reamed both cylinders on mine (and did the same for a couple of friends) ALL of ours shoot extremely well with both the .45 Colt Cylinder AND the .45 ACP cylinder. Accuracy is amazing with both.

If you reload for the .45 ACP, like I do, it is a real advantage to use that caliber in my Bisley Convertible. No clips needed just use like any other case in the single action revolver. .45 ACP is more efficient with target loads (by far) and the Mihec #68 H&G runs really well. You can get lots of trigger time with that specific revolver with no muss and no fuss for minimal cost. I can load a box of fifty using my own cast bullets for around $2.00 per box. You sure can't beat that for big bore fun.

Further, you can use the .45 Cowboy Special cases for special fun with lighter black powder loads for MUCH fun! In fact, you can use the Cowboy Special cases to use a roll crimp on the 454424 or 452664 Lyman bullets should you desire to do so.

The rear sight on my Convertible has enough travel to allow the use of 200 gr - 300 gr bullets and shooting to the sights.

There is hardly a more versatile revolver on the planet. Here's mine with the .45 ACP cylinder:

DalesPistolsRevolvers4Selects-0386.jpg

Dale53

ftr53

Bearcat
A convertible is fun and practical. My 7-1/2" New Model is over 30 years old and still going with anything put through it. ACP is good for plinking and even more serious purposes if necessary, and is cheaper than .45 Long Colt. I had the rear face of the ACP cylinder trimmed down just enough so that Auto-Rims will chamber and function, headspacing on the thicker rims, while .45ACPs still headspace on the shoulders in the chambers. Very versatile and accurate with anything fed through it: Long Colt, S&W (Schofield), ACP and Auto-Rim.