44 Special Project

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lee Martin

Hunter
Finally got the 44 Special to the range. Here's a better photo of the gun:

44Special117.jpg

Initial loads were 7.0 of Green Dot and 14.5 of 2400 (both under a 250 grain Keith):

44Special118.jpg

I sight all of my revolvers at 50 yards. Here's the best group I got at that range off the bench:

44SpecialTarget.jpg

Just under 2".

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

BigBoom44

Bearcat
I really love the .44 Special. I used to be a machinist and you brought back a lot of great memories. You are very fortunate to have the the skill to work metal the way you do. Not just anybody can do that. Congratulations.

jhearne

Buckeye
Never been a wheel gun guy, but I work in a Machine Shop and can appreciate the skill it takes to do that. Very nice work sir! Beautiful gun.

Josh

gunman42782

Hunter
Thanks, Lee, for one of the most informative and interesting threads I have ever read. I appreciate you taking the time and effort to post all those pictures. You are truly a master craftsman. The gun is just beautiful.

Greebe

Single-Sixer
Awesome Lee.

It has been fun watching this project.

I was wondering what the relationship between the bolt stops and the ratchet cogs is. So if the cylinder is in your dividing head or 3 jaw chuck in the rotary table, what would be the offset of the cog from each bolt stop? Obviously the spacing on the cogs and stops is 60 degrees, but I was just curious as to how you get the two in proper orientation to each other.

Thanks again for the great post.

Greebe

zipdog

Bearcat
I just found this wonderful thread with its excellent photos and description of the process. I just today received my OM .44 spl conversion back from Alan Harton. Now I've got to find some new grips, but I probably can't afford any after blowing my stash on the conversion.

Beautiful job!!

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
But can he make a spice rack?

Hmm.......

Didn't think soooooo...................... :wink:

Makes me want stuff..........(sigh)......

reuben....

ian03

Single-Sixer
I think you've done an amazing job on this project.

Just wanted to post the before and after pics next to each other so people can see the amazing work you've done.

before2.jpg

after3.jpg

before.jpg

after2.jpg