44 Mag cylinder for a 44-40 Vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
couldn't figure out how to message you on this forum.
Probably covered in Rules

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
The fitting of an extra cylinder on the 44 mag. was easy. I bought an unchambered cylinder from Brownell's and gave it to a local gunsmith for boring and fitting. There is an easier way to do it, here you can buy a drop in cylinder. http://rugercyl.com/

On my 44-40 Vaquero it was easier and less costly, I just bought a used 44 magnum cylinder and put it in. I was lucky in that the length and timing were correct and no fitting was needed. All the cylinders 44-40 and 44 magnum are set up to use the .430 diameter of the Ruger barrel. It aids accuracy and more importantly, I only need to stock 1 size bullet diameter. As I use my vaqueros for cowboy action shooting, I use 44 magnum for smokeless classes and 44-40 loaded with black powder for black powder classes. I can decide what class and what kind of powder when I get to the shooting venue, I just keep both types of ammo and bring rifles in both chamberings with me.

Last edited:

PartsGuy

Bearcat
Thanks, rugercyl is out of cylinders and a number of cowboys had no success using them. Hondo 44 talked about reaming a 44 Mag to 44-40. That's what I want to find out about.

Last edited:

loaded round

Hunter
I'd like to put my two cents into this discussion if I may. I bought a like new 44-40 Vaquero at a gun auction some time ago. Bought dies, cases, bullets etc and started loading for it. It was an excellent shooter in 44-40 and then I got curious. After two phone calls to Ruger, I found out that both their 44 mag and 44-40 Vaquero barrels had the same specs, So then I decided to make my Vaquero a convertible if I could find a 44 Mag cylinder. After a short period, I found a 44 mag Blackhawk cylinder on Gunbroker, and immediately purchased it. The front bearing on the cylinder needed to shortened several millimeters, and it was then a drop in. Timing was perfect and it shot 44 Spec loads about the same as my 44-40 loads, Approx. 11/2'' groups at 25 yards.. Haven't tried, nor do I intend to try, 44 Mag loads. It was an easy conversion for me and I assume it would be the same for our inquiring friend..

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
If I was going to chamber a cylinder, I would look at buying a .357 cylinder to start with, I think it would be less expensive for the cylinder and easier to find. Otherwise, it would pretty much be the same process.