.44 Carbine receiver sight adjustment

Help Support Ruger Forum:

garyhan

Bearcat
I recently acquired a 1970's vintage .44 carbine with the factory mounted receiver sight.
I'm taking it to the range tomorrow and just noticed that I have no idea how to adjust the elevation. The only screws I see are on top ad appear to be for windage. I'm sure I've overlooked the obvious. but if anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it.

gary

pete44ru

Hunter

AFAIK, only the early 1960's Deerstalker's had a factory peepsight, so yours most likely aftermarket.

The windage adjustment knob or screw is located on the outer end of the (horizontal) aperture holder bar for click adjustments, or grub screws on either side of the aperture for a sliding adjustment.

The elevation adjustment knob or screw is located atop the LH end of the (horizontal) aperture holder for click adjustments, or a single grub screw on the LH side of the sight base for a sliding adjustment.

Pics would be nice.......... :mrgreen:

garyhan

Bearcat
Exactly! Thanks so much! My range trip will be more successful now. I did recheck the manufacture date and it is actually 1964, no barrel sight slot, so I think all is original. Thanks again. I will try to post photos by tomorrow.

gary

kevin masten

Blackhawk
Gary: sounds like you have an original factory rifle with the receiver sight; especially so without the dovetail slot cut into the barrel. Hard to find piece. Picture of your piece would be great to see. Remember, these old rifles have flaws such as easily cracked stocks and action parts that are prone to breakage. There are no replacement parts, save a rifle that dies to give up its parts. Shoot it as you will. Just saying.

Regards

pete44ru

Hunter
garyhan said:
Thanks so much!

I did recheck the manufacture date and it is actually 1964, no barrel sight slot, so I think all is original.

You're welcome, Gary ! :)

You're correct, regarding the absence of a rear sight dovetail cut - so, I stand corrected. :oops:

It sounds like a nice genie... :mrgreen: