.44 Carbine 'new to me' and PHOTOS

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mike7mm08

Buckeye
44rugerr said:
Is your international for sale or trade?

Sorry but no. Took me many years to find it. If I had the box it would be NIB. It is without question unfired. The 96 international was my dream gun for many years. But I would could not find a stockmaker that would do it. Then one day it popped up for sale on the forum. The pictures do not do the stock justice. I am sure the stock alone cost more than double what the rifle cost. These two were my holy grail of guns.

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
hate to revive a dead thread.....but does anyone know where to find an international (Mannlicher) stock for an early .44 Carbine?

langenc

Single-Sixer
Stan in SC said:
Just remember to NOT shoot any thing but jacketed bullets in youir carbine.

Stan in SC

Does that rule apply to my carbine 77/44 not vintage. Just bought it and it don't shoot well at all. Have tried Sierra jacketed and Hornadys. Have never shot cast but am thinking now might be the times to start. Goal is to shoot some deer with this gun. Any suggestions to cure 3" to 3.5"@ 50 shooter??

I bought cause Ive read that Ruger is now making their own barrels.

Sorry for the hi jack.

se3388

Bearcat
44woman

Nice looking rifle there. I have a 77RSI in 250 Savage and it has the same checkering that your rifle has so I would bet it is factory checkering. I also have one of the standard 44 Mag Carbines, mine was made in 1980.

Steve..........

kevin masten

Blackhawk
In response to the post regarding manufacturing changes during the life of the 44 carbine. There was one big change made which allowed the carbine to be unloaded through the loading port rather than working the rounds through the action. Not certain when the change was made or serial number range.

The weak part of the rifle was the stock just ahead of the loading port; really prone to crack on the belly of the stock. I have observed several over the years.

Regards

kevin masten

Blackhawk
There was an engineering change made on the carbine. The early ones could only be unloaded by and through the action. Later models allowed unloading through the loading port on the bottom of and through the stock.

Also, the stocks were bad to split on the bottom of the stock from the loading port forward.

They also made two different bolts for the 44 Carbines. The earlier models had different bolts than the later ones. Don't know when the change took place. Mine was made in '82. It's a great little woods gun.
Tomcatt

felix cortinas

Bearcat
I got a .44 carbine the marking is simply Ruger Carbine .44 magnum cal I bought it a few months ago and someone apparently did a nickel plating job on the barrel. I have been shooting the .240 grain Winchesters only but lately having jamming problems even when chambering the first round. Any suggestions....does it just need a good cleaning? It has the tubular magazine, holds four in tube, one in chamber. I love this little carbine for hogs in the brush and I am overrun with hogs in my cow pastures. also got a new M77/44 while back, a year ago I didn't own a .44 mag carbine, now I got two. In my part of Texas longer range calibers are the norm.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
felix cortinas said:
...Any suggestions....does it just need a good cleaning? It has the tubular magazine, holds four in tube, one in chamber.
The run down on disassembly and cleaning.

http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/ig/Ruger-44-Carbine-Instructions/

dfletcher

Blackhawk
langenc said:
Stan in SC said:
Just remember to NOT shoot any thing but jacketed bullets in youir carbine.

Stan in SC

Does that rule apply to my carbine 77/44 not vintage. Just bought it and it don't shoot well at all. Have tried Sierra jacketed and Hornadys. Have never shot cast but am thinking now might be the times to start. Goal is to shoot some deer with this gun. Any suggestions to cure 3" to 3.5"@ 50 shooter??

I bought cause Ive read that Ruger is now making their own barrels.

Sorry for the hi jack.

Meaning the bolt rifle? Should be no functional problems with lead, so long as they're sufficiently hard. That being said, much as I liked the looks of mine I couldn't get it to shoot worth a darn and got rid of it. I didn't expect gilt edge accuracy but POI wandered all over the place.

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
I authored this post on my blog discussing the history of the Ruger .44 Carbine. Let me know if there is any inaccuracies or information that should be added.

http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2015/10/featured-gun-ruger-44-carbine.html

GR8_Outdoorsman

Single-Sixer
TINCANBANDIT said:
I authored this post on my blog discussing the history of the Ruger .44 Carbine. Let me know if there is any inaccuracies or information that should be added.

http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2015/10/featured-gun-ruger-44-carbine.html

It's funny that the see this post tonight. I read your article last night and thoroughly enjoyed the read. It was very well written and I learned a lot about these little carbines that have captured my attention as of late.

Aldebc

Bearcat
I have a 5 digit and a 102 model. Both are great shooters. The barrel on the 102 is about 3 inches longer than the 5'er.

GR8_Outdoorsman

Single-Sixer
Aldebc said:
I have a 5 digit and a 102 model. Both are great shooters. The barrel on the 102 is about 3 inches longer than the 5'er.

That's bizarre. They should both be 18.5" barrels. My 5 digit barrel is the same length as my 96/44 and 99/44

Aldebc

Bearcat
GR8_Outdoorsman said:
Aldebc said:

That's bizarre. They should both be 18.5" barrels. My 5 digit barrel is the same length as my 96/44 and 99/44

Sorry, I'm a dumbass. I just pulled them out again and set them side by side and the barrels are the same length. I replaced the stock on the 102 a few years ago due to it cracking. It is three inches longer.

GR8_Outdoorsman

Single-Sixer
Aldebc said:
GR8_Outdoorsman said:
Aldebc said:

Sorry, I'm a dumbass. I just pulled them out again and set them side by side and the barrels are the same length. I replaced the stock on the 102 a few years ago due to it cracking. It is three inches longer.

LOL, no worries. We all have those moments.

Regarding the replacement stock, did you go with a Boyd's?

Aldebc

Bearcat
I bought the stock from a mom and pop shop in Baytown, TX. I don't know who made it. Stocks for these rifles are at a premium. I looks great, it has a great fit and finish and it was the only one I could get my hands on. I haven't shot either one in several years. I just pull them out once a year, clean them and put them away.