4" .32H&R SP-101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Single-Sixer
Saw a 4" SP-101 in .32H&R today at 429.00. Used but excellent with box and papers. Wasn't a price that made me weak in the knees, so I decided to think it over. Any opinions? Might be a good candidate for a .327 conversion or maybe just shoot it and enjoy the H&R for what it is.

Lo-Bo

Bearcat
I have the sp 101 .32 mag. in the 3 1/16 barrel. Rear adjustable sight. I had it for sell for a few months locally at $400 with no interest at all. It was a NIB gun. Value on the .32 mags went away when the .327 came out. I would pass on the 4" gun unless you really want it. I love .32 magnums but always grab one the single six .32's when I want to shoot.

Landric

Bearcat
I'd get it if I had the money and found it in a local shop. I think the .327 is a good idea, but the lack of ammunition, brass, and a lightweight (Airweight or LCR) has kept me from one so far. I think the .32 H&R is a fantastic cartridge, and as I wouldn't carry the 4" SP anyway, just use it for a range and fun gun, I don't see any "need" for the .327 on that particular platform for that use.

I'm considering a 3" SP in .327 now that I have finally gotten my department to approve that cartridge for off-duty/BUG, but what I really want is a lightweight version for a BUG and a 2 1/4" DAO SP for off-duty.

gak

Buckeye
Landric":39v54gc2 said:
I'd get it if I had the money and found it in a local shop. I think the .327 is a good idea, but the lack of ammunition, brass, and a lightweight (Airweight or LCR) has kept me from one so far. I think the .32 H&R is a fantastic cartridge, and as I wouldn't carry the 4" SP anyway, just use it for a range and fun gun, I don't see any "need" for the .327 on that particular platform for that use.

I'm considering a 3" SP in .327 now that I have finally gotten my department to approve that cartridge for off-duty/BUG, but what I really want is a lightweight version for a BUG and a 2 1/4" DAO SP for off-duty.

You might look at the new Smith (not the ported Pro introduced two years ago) J-frame. Still steel, but to me that's a good thing with the .327, and I would think should still be a skosh lighter than the SP? Pricey though.
I'm seeing far more .327 on the shelves these days than the H&R ammo.

dougader

Hunter
For a trail gun, the 4" barrel is perfect. If you want it for that purpose, I'd grab it and have it reamed out to 327 by a good smith.

Ruger doesn't offer a 4" SP101 in any caliber anymore AFAIK.

If its going to be for concealed carry, I'd wait for a 3" model.

gak is right about the s&w. it looks nice, but man do they want the $$$ for them.

Single-Sixer
I had a 3" SP in .32H&R and had Alan Harton ream it out to .327, so I've been down this road before and have been an H&R fan for years. I was just curious if the $429.00 was far off the mark.

I thought at the time that a 4" would make a better .327 but couldn't find one. I've got a Single Six conversion in the works for the .327 and just can't convince myself on the SP-101.

s4s4u

Hunter
I was just curious if the $429.00 was far off the mark.

That is a new price for a used gun. Value is in the eye of the buyer, but that is too much for me.

Landric

Bearcat
gak":20yuanhg said:
You might look at the new Smith (not the ported Pro introduced two years ago) J-frame. Still steel, but to me that's a good thing with the .327, and I would think should still be a skosh lighter than the SP? Pricey though.
I'm seeing far more .327 on the shelves these days than the H&R ammo.

Yeah, that is a neat looking revolver, but Smith wants a fortune for it. I'd much rather get a 2 1/4" DAO SP101 .327 for belt carry, which is what I would use the 632 for if I got one.

I've shot a S&W 340PD with full power 158 grain magnums. Its not what I would call pleasant, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The 327 would have less recoil, and I wouldn't be buying it for a range gun anyway. A M&P 332 or a LCR in 327 would be perfect for that use.