4/08 SR9 Recall

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

AZ Outlaws":2xhrkyjh said:
Jackie Treehorn":2xhrkyjh said:
I also PM'd barry c my offer. Here is his response:

"thank you but I traded it in on a Sig 226 elite"

No reason to complain anymore, Barry. The gun is gone and you've got something else. Everybody wins.

I want to see a pic or two of his new P226 Elite or it didn't happen....
If it did happen, barry c should try to get the deal undone. He stands to make a $75 profit. Cash money, barry c. Cash money.

A

Anonymous

jhearne":1cci38n8 said:
Well curse you Gustav, foiling my plans of going shooting next weekend.

I sent my SR9 out last Wed. and it should be back middle/late next week. Coincidently so is Hurricane Gustav lol. I don't want Ruger sending it out when its just going to sit somewhere and potentially get lost.

I plan on calling Ruger Tuesday (Monday's a holiday) and having them keep it til next Monday and shipping it out then if possible. I don't want my SR9 sitting at my office's doorstep while I'm stuck at home while my work is shutdown. Wish I thought about this yesterday, I would have called them then and got it off my mind. I hope I don't forget lol.

Josh
The packaging they use is rain resistant plastic and an adult signature is required. Unlike some of the tall tales and half-truths posted here, it is not going to be simply left on your doorstep.

jhearne

Buckeye
Jackie Treehorn":2rw4gzvt said:
jhearne":2rw4gzvt said:

I sent my SR9 out last Wed. and it should be back middle/late next week. Coincidently so is Hurricane Gustav lol. I don't want Ruger sending it out when its just going to sit somewhere and potentially get lost.

I plan on calling Ruger Tuesday (Monday's a holiday) and having them keep it til next Monday and shipping it out then if possible. I don't want my SR9 sitting at my office's doorstep while I'm stuck at home while my work is shutdown. Wish I thought about this yesterday, I would have called them then and got it off my mind. I hope I don't forget lol.

Josh
The packaging they use is rain resistant plastic and an adult signature is required. Unlike some of the tall tales and half-truths posted here, it is not going to be simply left on your doorstep.

Oh I know the good parts of UPS and packaging (that's my job at work :D), I also know the bad too. I've seen very carefully packaged items to things just thrown in a box with a piece of paper and a packing list, taped across the tops and that was it. I have no doubt a little extra planning and packaging goes into shipping a firearm, its not a DVD or anything, its steel, and plastic too. I'm not too worried about it since I'm pretty sure UPS won't be running when they can't get out, but I don't want to chance anything, I'm just gonna have them hold it for a few days, as I'm sure I wouldn't be able to go shoot anyways as the place I do go to has a greater chance of my house having damage to it. And I'll have more important things to take care of.

Josh

A

Anonymous

jhearne":2jcl3zib said:
Jackie Treehorn":2jcl3zib said:
jhearne":2jcl3zib said:

Josh

Oh I know the good parts of UPS and packaging (that's my job at work :D), I also know the bad too. I've seen very carefully packaged items to things just thrown in a box with a piece of paper and a packing list, taped across the tops and that was it. I have no doubt a little extra planning and packaging goes into shipping a firearm, its not a DVD or anything, its steel, and plastic too. I'm not too worried about it since I'm pretty sure UPS won't be running when they can't get out, but I don't want to chance anything, I'm just gonna have them hold it for a few days, as I'm sure I wouldn't be able to go shoot anyways as the place I do go to has a greater chance of my house having damage to it. And I'll have more important things to take care of.

Josh
You're not understanding. The gun gets shipped back to you in the very same box you used to send it to Ruger. That box is placed inside of a plastic bag along with an SR9 hat.

How in the hell is that going to get damaged by rain? :roll:

Dr. Dave

Bearcat
Jackie Treehorn":32hhhixa said:
jhearne":32hhhixa said:

No Tall tale or half truth with me, I came home and the package was on my doorstep. I contacted Ruger and Ruger contacted UPS who contacted us for more information. Granted it was probably an isolated incident but I think an email or phone call would have helped, I could have had a family member waiting to sign for the package. I was thrilled to get it back but disturbed that it could have been stolen very easily.

jhearne

Buckeye
Jackie Treehorn":2sqypikt said:
jhearne":2sqypikt said:
Jackie Treehorn":2sqypikt said:
jhearne":2sqypikt said:

Josh

Josh
You're not understanding. The gun gets shipped back to you in the very same box you used to send it to Ruger. That box is placed inside of a plastic bag along with an SR9 hat.

How in the hell is that going to get damaged by rain? :roll:

Easy JT, you're not understanding me. This is my concern if any:

I do not want UPS to drop it off unsigned at my work's office door.

It has happened before, it can happen, not saying it will, I just don't want it to. So therefore I'm making the call that I don't want it shipped out, when technically a firearm is only supposed to be in UPS's hands for one night anyways. I will make sure UPS and my place of business are working fine and make the call to send it out. I won't be able to get out until weekend after next anyways to shoot it. I don't have my CCW and I have a Remington 870 as my HD weapon right now so I'm not worried about my security here anyways.

Josh

Dr. Dave

Bearcat
Jackie Treehorn":2g4qqguv said:
Dr. Dave":2g4qqguv said:
No Tall tale or half truth with me
Sort of like a sea story, huh? Sorry, ain't buying it.

As I have no way to prove it to you now that the pistol is here, I don't think scanning the bag and posting the picture will give any proof, I will let you assume that I am a liar.

I don't quite understand why you are so eager to doubt my word, UPS who does very good work in my area, is capable of making mistakes, nuts, it could have been Ruger who labeled it incorrectly. I originally posted my situation so others would be aware and prepared.
I'm sure that in Indiana you have to get a signature for such an item, if not, it's something that needs to be changed here. I'm sure my driver didn't realize it was a pistol the packages are not marked as such.

I was reluctant to call Ruger and also to post the situation here as I don't want anybody to get in trouble with their job, however the safety of my neighborhood, and the fact that anyone walking by could have walked off with my pistol disturbed me so I contacted Ruger who quickly followed through. Believe it or not.

I have made no attempt to deceive or spread tall tales, just tried to help. bon

A

Anonymous

Dr. Dave":2wtvj89h said:
Jackie Treehorn":2wtvj89h said:
Dr. Dave":2wtvj89h said:
As I have no way to prove it to you now that the pistol is here, I don't think scanning the bag and posting the picture will give any proof, I will let you assume that I am a liar.
Post the tracking number, sport. We can look up the final delivery disposition. (Signed for, left at doorstep, etc.)

A

Anonymous

jhearne":371134av said:

No, YOU'RE not understanding. Ruger does not ship firearms back without requiring an adult signature. And contrary to popular belief, it takes more than simply affixing an "Adult Signature Required" sticker for this to happen. It's an extra cost option that has to be paid for by the shipper and is encoded in the tracking number. That's what YOU don't understand.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Not talking about Ruger here. But UPS does screw up. I sent a smith back for service. It was shipped back not even fully assemblied but that is another story. Anyway I came home to find my blue plastic smith box on my back porch for all the neighborhood to see. Guess what smith sent it Adult signiture required was paid for by smith and tracking number confirmed this. So you need to understand it does happen. UPS requirements are only as good as the last person to handle the package.Another bigger concern I would have is UPS will only make so many delivery attempts on a package. Then it gets returned to the shipper. This could make it a very long wait. If I were in this situation I would also request that it not be shipped.

jhearne

Buckeye
Jackie Treehorn":2tqvu4gx said:
jhearne":2tqvu4gx said:

No, YOU'RE not understanding. Ruger does not ship firearms back without requiring an adult signature. And contrary to popular belief, it takes more than simply affixing an "Adult Signature Required" sticker for this to happen. It's an extra cost option that has to be paid for by the shipper and is encoded in the tracking number. That's what YOU don't understand.

Easy with the caps there, I know how the 'options' work, I use UPS software at my office, I know all about the fancy labels, tracking numbers, even the fancy tablet the drivers have you to sign for stuff on.

Once it leaves Ruger's shipping dept. and is in UPS's hands I don't care what RUGER will or won't do. UPS is the medium through which we send/recieve these pistols. The UPS drivers aren't as diligent as you'd like to think. They can and have dropped off packages without the signature that was required by the shipper. What should happen regardless is that the door is tagged after a dropoff attempt is made, after 3 its automatically rejected and sent back to the shipper and further action must be taken by all parties to figure out what happened.

IF UPS were to drop it off without a signature, its basically a lost package, since the driver has no proof that it was recieved by the person specified to recieve it. And it will take a good while for UPS to refund the money to Ruger, but I'd like to think Ruger would do everything needed to try and get the pistol back or make things right with the reciever.

I know what UPS and Ruger is supposed to do, but I know what UPS drivers can do......I understand perfectly JT, like I said before, you weren't understanding me. Bark up this tree all night, I've got more important things to worry about now.

Josh

Hell I sent a package NDA (thats Next Day Air for the guys in the back) supposed to go to Florida....it hit the Kentucky hub and ended up in Europe, Denmark I believe, thats one helluva error.

Dr. Dave

Bearcat
Jackie Treehorn":1fkaktwe said:
Dr. Dave":1fkaktwe said:
Jackie Treehorn":1fkaktwe said:
Dr. Dave":1fkaktwe said:
Post the tracking number, sport. We can look up the final delivery disposition. (Signed for, left at doorstep, etc.)

1Z 257 E95 A4 4869 792 9

Look it up "sport"...no signature, but one was required, however there is an exception recorded. First time I looked it up.

I don't understand your defensiveness about this, UPS can make mistakes, the driver probably had no idea it was a pistol, probably clothing as the hat was in the bag also.

A

Anonymous

Dr. Dave":268fydml said:
Jackie Treehorn":268fydml said:
Jackie Treehorn":268fydml said:

1Z 257 E95 A4 4869 792 9

Look it up "sport"...no signature, but one was required, however there is an exception recorded. First time I looked it up.

I don't understand your defensiveness about this, UPS can make mistakes, the driver probably had no idea it was a pistol, probably clothing as the hat was in the bag also.
It's your story, tell it any way you want.

A

Anonymous

jhearne":43v6genq said:
I know what UPS and Ruger is supposed to do, but I know what UPS drivers can do......I understand perfectly JT, like I said before, you weren't understanding me. Bark up this tree all night, I've got more important things to worry about now.
I understand perfectly. You don't grasp the subject. UPS sucks. I do not and will not ship ANYTHING UPS when I'm bearing the cost. However, when a shipment uses "Adult Signature Required," that's what it means. Maybe that's new to you.

jhearne

Buckeye
Jackie Treehorn":2pa9485r said:
jhearne":2pa9485r said:
I understand perfectly. You don't grasp the subject. UPS sucks. I do not and will not ship ANYTHING UPS when I'm bearing the cost. However, when a shipment uses "Adult Signature Required," that's what it means. Maybe that's new to you.

Ok, so finally in our last spurt of genius debating.....

we have

me saying, I know what UPS and Ruger is supposed to do......
you said, when a shipment uses "Adult Signature Required," that's what it means.....

and
me, but I know what UPS drivers can do.....
you, UPS sucks....

So basically, I say yet again, that yes if Ruger has the ASR tag in the system, UPS is supposed to get one, your paying for a service, but its up to the driver to deliver on that, hehe I made a funny. How many times have you gone through a drive through somewhere or went anywhere else and had substandard service, that you paid in advance for? Same thing, except your not getting a burger with mustard/no pickles, your getting a pistol NDA, with ASR. Only thing you can do is take it up with someone who is responsible.

We basically agree to disagree through your last post, we both get it, understand it, you say po ta to, I say po tat o.

Josh

mekender

Single-Sixer
if everyone is done with their measuring contest, perhaps i can toss in an observation...

of all of the packages i have received from UPS that have said that an adult signature was required, the ONLY ones that UPS actually made someone sign for were ones that had alcohol in them and were marked as such...

other than that, i have had dozens of packages just left on the doorstep no matter what the sticker said... the UPS guys get $9 an hour or so to start... they just dont give a yugo...

JROCK

Bearcat
Got my SR9 back last week. Put 300 rds through it this past Sat. worked like a charm. I like the new trigger and mag release set up. I'm proud to be a SR9 owner!