357 SIG-opinions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TRanger

Blackhawk
This cartridge seems to fly just below the radar. It has been adopted by the US Secret Service and several state police agencies who report good results with it. Would like to hear the experiences of those who have used it significantly regarding your results and any problems, if any; particularly regarding functional reliability.

Al James

Hunter
Ive never owned one but have always been intrigued by the idea. 125 GR JHP 357 magnum ballistics out of an auto pistol sounds like a good idea to me. Regarding reliability-one would think that it would be very reliable due to its bottleneck design. You are limited to platforms however but the ones that are out there are solid designs [ie Glock, Sig] Writing this makes me think I want one!

TRanger

Blackhawk
The bottleneck design should contribute to positive feeding; but I have heard rumors of case splitting. Would like to know if this has a real basis or any other issues with the cartridge.

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
Hello TRanger,

I have always been a big proponent of the Sig .357. The idea of near .357 Mag. capablity from a service size semiauto interests me. I did have a chance to fire a Glock in .357 Sig. some years ago. Function was without flaw. Follow up shots (for me) were not as quick as with a 9mm. But I surmised, with enough practice quicker follow up shots could be attainable. In situations where optimum bullet penetration is required, is where this cartridge seems to stand out. I would care to see Ruger adapt this cartridge, perhaps in the P944 or maybe the P345 platform. Furthermore, because of this cartridge's wedged design, feed reliability is enhanced. It's a round worthy of consideration.

A.W.

Rat76

Single-Sixer
Anthony Williams":25pve3da said:
Hello TRanger,

.... I would care to see Ruger adapt this cartridge, perhaps in the P944 or maybe the P345 platform. Furthermore, because of this cartridge's wedged design, feed reliability is enhanced. It's a round worthy of consideration.

A.W.

Should be pretty easy to do. All one would need is a barrel blank for a .40cal Ruger. Bore the barrel for 9mm & ream the chamber for the .357 Sig.

Kel Tec had a .357 sig barrel for the P40. Used the .40 slide assembly & the .40 mags.

I know a Ruger would handle the pressures. :wink:

that's kind of an odd way to go about it, isn't it?

.40 cal barrel bored down to 9mm.... why not just start with 9mm in the first place and then ream the chamber... or is that possible...

you'd think some one would have done either by now.... I presume all you would need is a new barrel as described and the right recoil spring and rod...

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
I have been in an indoor pistol range and this fellow was shooting on the first station in a line of about 20 stations. No matter where I went, every time he touched that thing off, everyone jumped. It's one loud cartridge.
Not for me. I suspect it's formidable and that it feeds well and I'd hate to get hit by one.
Sonnytoo

Glupy

Blackhawk
Kuna, Idaho - a sparkling jewel in a park-like set
Yosemite Sam":3p3lgur1 said:
Sig builds pistols in all three calibers on the same frame. All that's needed are barrel and mag changes.

-- Sam

I have a Sig 2320 that came as a 40 S&W. I bought a conversion barrel in 357 Sig as Sam mentioned.

I don't shoot it much in the 357 Sig configuration but I have the following comments:

1. The recoil is snappy! It's maybe 15% more than the 40 S&W.
2. The noise is greater than the 40 S&W, maybe equal to a 357 mag. I wouldn't want to shoot it inside unless I want to be blind and deaf. So it may be less desireable (useless?) as a home defense weapon.
3. My chrono shows 1400+ fps with Winchester white box ammo.
4. The ammo is more expensive and there are fewer options. I reload but not in this caliber.
5. The 357 Sig uses the same magazine as the 40 S&W.
6. I am no longer sure why I bought this, other than to be different.
7. It's a hoot to shoot.

Dave

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
EFK Fire Dragon used to make 357 Sig barrels for the Ruger P944. They no longer do, but you might see if they will make a custom one for you.

If they will do that, then I might be interested in a P944 to go along with my P94 9mm.

Charlie

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
HELLO CHARLIE!

Graf'? I hadn't been there since the late 1960's. I bought my first handgun at the Rod & Gun Club there. I was with the 3rd. Armored Division. Stationed at Ray Barracks, in Friedberg from '65 to 68'. Memories.

A.W.

Rat76

Single-Sixer
blume357":1pcg5zjs said:
that's kind of an odd way to go about it, isn't it?

.40 cal barrel bored down to 9mm.... why not just start with 9mm in the first place and then ream the chamber... or is that possible...

you'd think some one would have done either by now.... I presume all you would need is a new barrel as described and the right recoil spring and rod...

You are probably right. Particularly with a Ruger. The KT had to use the .40 platform as the 9mm did not have enough extra material in the chamber area. The 9mm barrel is smaller than the .40.

I'd imagine that the Ruger does have that extra material available. KTs are NOT "built like a tank". More like "just enough but no more" to get the size & weight down to minimium.

I would like a .357 sig barrel for my KP91DC. Hmmmmm? Maybe I should get a spare barrel & give it a try. :wink:

Edited to change my mind;
Last nite it hit me. The controlling factor is the slide. The 9mm slide won't accept the .40 cartridge rim. Maybe could modify it but then it wouldn't work with the 9.

pyth0n

Buckeye
Leucoandro":m1g4j4fy said:
EFK Fire Dragon used to make 357 Sig barrels for the Ruger P944. They no longer do, but you might see if they will make a custom one for you.

If they will do that, then I might be interested in a P944 to go along with my P94 9mm.

Charlie
I have one of those. I bought it years ago, and works fine. Ammo is expensive, as already pointed out. I'd like to find an adjustable sight set up for the 944. The sig round shoots abit low when using the standard sights. At sd (10 yds)ranges though it wasn't far off and grouped well.

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
The caliber has intrigued me since I first heard about it. Finally shot one one day at a range. Snappy recoil, as mentioned, but not bad. I, too, LIKE the idea of 357 Mag ballistics in a semiauto. I would have one already except for the fact that the pistol that I had picked out came in 357 Sig, but NOT in the 'compact' size in that caliber, and that is what I wanted. No one makes a 'conversion' barrel for my 40, which is a Beretta Px4, (what I finally decided on), or I'd have one.

There are, reportedly, several DISadvantages to it: first, the penetration is so extreme that it can be a problem in a SD situation. Innocent bystanders.....
Second, it is a 'bottleneck' cartridge, so although you would probably have to reload for it, due to its hard-to-find and costly attributes, it would be a substantially harder cartridge to reload. Not impossible, I'm sure, but certainly not like a straight-walled pistol case. I've read of some difficulties in this regard, but have no 'first-hand' knowledge or info on it.

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
I haven't shot one, but almost bought one in a used Glock. I went with the new SR9, instead (ammo price and slide on the Glock had a slight "catch" sound). But, I know people that own them, and love them. It does seem to be a specialized round, though. Great for LE, just home defense. I don't think it'll disappear, just never be too popular with the civilian crowd.

BTW, a guy I used to work for carried a G31 as his CCW. We were discussing it one day and his reason for having a .357 Sig; "if somebody's going to try and carjack me, they can't run and they can't hide." He always wa a little overkill. LOL

dondavis3

Bearcat
I ashamed to say I own a Sig P229 in .40 / .357

I have shot hundreds of .40's through it and have never mounted the .357 stuff.

I even bought 1 box of .357 ammo, but have never felt the need to shoot .357

:oops:

Shame on me :lol:

Lateck

Single-Sixer
dondavis3 said:

I have a P226R in .40 and I will be looking for the .357 barrel for it.
So, don't be ashamed. :oops:
Some of us would like that caliber to survive.

Lateck,

ncvikingfan

Single-Sixer
Lateck said:
dondavis3 said:

I have a P226R in .40 and I will be looking for the .357 barrel for it.
So, don't be ashamed. :oops:
Some of us would like that caliber to survive.

Lateck,

I own a Sig P229 in .357. I keep looking for a good deal in a .40 cal. barrel for it. I, too, was intrigued by the idea of the 357 Sig caliber. However, .40 cal. ammo is cheaper. I have not shot it much at all.