357 practice loads

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
WESHOOT2 said:
I load dangerously over-pressure ammo quite regularly, in numerous chamberings, for numerous guns.
I follow my own safety practices.
I own two sets of LEE dippers.
My ten powder measures dispense by volume, but I know what those charges weigh, because I use my scale and check weight set.
I use 38 Special cases on occassion for excess-+P ammo (I admit I use new sized cases ONLY when doing so).
I own my own range.

But I come here, to this Forum, to learn from others.
Ay?
...And folks like me come here to learn from people like you that have lots of practical experience that share their knowledge freely and that are friendly and helpful. Thank You. :D :D

...Jimbo

I'm shooting .38 Specials in my .357 Blackhawk

bathroomduring005.jpg

357010jpg.jpg
reloaded with 148 grain bevel based wadcutters and 3 grains of Bullseye and small pistol primers. I've got some spent .357 brass that I reloaded with the same 3 grain load because the only data I could find said that was about it.
reloadingstuff047.jpg

Fine with me for now since the factory .357 loads make a sharp, loud unpleasant noise that I suspect annoys my neighbors. I've been told that a fast burning powder like Bullseye isn't that suitable for .357's , and that the BBWCs have all the aerodynamic properties of a beer can and pushing them beyond 900fps doesn't make any sense anyway.It does seem to burn on the dirty side.

I have 1000 primers and..... oh..... a lot of bullets

reloadingstuff038.jpg

But, still, in the future - what kind of bullets, powder and primers would you use in a .357? While I'd like a little more oomph - I am still more interested in accuracy and being able to comfortably shoot a lot of rounds than asserting my masculinity. I will always use factory loads for self defense( it's my nightstand gun). I want something commonly enough used that I can access a wide variety of reloading data on.

2400? Universal? Unique? Trail Boss? For some of them I have to use different primers? It's all very esoteric and confusing. I love it.

ACM73

Bearcat
Thanks for the help, those of you who listed loads and gave advice. I really do appreciate it. I will be looking back at those when I get enough brass to start reloading. It may be hard to find those posts unfortunately due to all of the "other" posts that have shown up on this thread... oh well...

Andy

Rclark

Hunter
when I get enough brass to start reloading
That's easy enough! Just order up a 1000 (or 500) from www.starlinebrass.com .... You'll be in business in just a couple of weeks!

Rclark

Hunter
2400? Universal? Unique? Trail Boss? For some of them I have to use different primers?
I use standard primers for all those powders. My way of thinking is 2400 hot loads, Unique/Universal medium loads, and Trail Boss for the light loads. Now it is up to 'YOU' to load some up and see which suits you better or what is most accurate in your gun :) . Part of the fun!

catfish621

Single-Sixer
Just thought I'd give you my practice load. I use 7 gr. HS-6 under a bulk lead 158 gr. semiwadcutter. I use a Lee dipper but can't remember off the top of my head which one. I did check it on my electronic scale and it was accurate. I use 357 cases and standard primers. Well below max and pleasant to shoot.

DGW1949

Hunter
California Kowboy said:
I'm shooting .38 Specials in my .357 Blackhawk......

.......But, still, in the future - what kind of bullets, powder and primers would you use in a .357? While I'd like a little more oomph - I am still more interested in accuracy and being able to comfortably shoot a lot of rounds than asserting my masculinity. I will always use factory loads for self defense( it's my nightstand gun). I want something commonly enough used that I can access a wide variety of reloading data on.

2400? Universal? Unique? Trail Boss? For some of them I have to use different primers? It's all very esoteric and confusing. I love it.

I mostly shoot .38's out of my .357-Blackhawks too. My powder of choice is Unique. 4.6-4.7 Grns under a soft-cast 158 SWC is almost as accurate as any Bullseye load that I ever concocted, is plesant to shoot, duplicates the power of the old .38/158-Service Load, and aint apt to disturb your neighbors.
If that it still a bit stronger than what you had in mind, Speer says that 4.3 Unique can be used as a starting load under a 158 SWC and 4.4 for a 148 soild-base WC.
Standard primers work fine with any Unique load that I know of and the powder itself has been around so long that you'd be hard pressed to find ANY loading manual that don't have several 38 Spl loads listed for it's use. Far as that goes, I can't think of a single pistol/revolver caliber that I've loaded over the years that didn't have several Unique loads listed for it.

Hope this helps.

DGW

RugerSP101

Single-Sixer
WESHOOT2 said:
I load dangerously over-pressure ammo quite regularly, in numerous chamberings, for numerous guns.
(walks quickly in opposite direction :D )

I guess Im far to afraid to get risky with reloading.
One reason I decided to not buy a scale is that means I CANT start pushing the limits because I can weigh the powder more accurately.
I dont want to go down that path because frankly I love my eyes and hands being intact :D
The two loads I have could likely be double charged and my Ruger might have a good chance of not blowing up in my face.
Id just prefer, personally, to have the easiest, simplest, least likely to fail set up possible.

When Im working on my car, or working with my woodworking tools I always get a routine going and I stick to it so that safety can be a part of that routine.
I didnt get into reloading to get risky, but simply did for cheap range ammo. I only need one recipe for that and the Lee dipper that came with the Lee 38 die set is perfect for that (.5cc) with Unique powder.
I dont see any reason to toy around with it either heavier or lighter because its absolutely perfect where it is.

I did decide to use the .7cc dipper with the 125 grain Hornady bullets because of the wife and wanting a little more power than the commercial ammo I tried, but not as obnoxious as the 357 magnums for her sake.

The two recipes are great for me/us and the cost per box of ammo has already paid for most of the stuff I bought to reload.

I respect most of the folks here, you all have been very helpful with information, but I just dont see myself getting into 'tinkering' with reloading or getting anywhere near max loads and especially anything even remotely near dangerous.

:)