357 Maximum with a brass grip frame?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

41-44-45-48

Single-Sixer
I spotted a nice 7.5" 357 max on the used rack at my local pusher. Odd thing is that it has a brass grip frame. I don't remember seeing these before. Did they come from Ruger like this or is this one a custom job? Factory walnut fits very nice. Overall the gun looks to be about 98% condition. They want $700 for it. Good deal or is it not worth as much due being modified with the brass frame?

Oh, Coogs - serial was 01282.

I would grab it. They did not come with the brass MR3-BD brass grip frame since those were for old model guns. They could have used an aftermarket grip frame. Still $700 is a good price if nothing else to get a base gun for a long cylinder custom.

41-44-45-48

Single-Sixer
Well, I'm not really into customs, so no need for base stock. My interest is as a shooter, but truth be told I'm not a fan of brass due to weight, especially not on an already heavy max. I probably would have grabbed it if it had been standard configuration.

Shoot grab it and put an aluminum XR3-RED grip frame on it and sell the brass grip frame! You won't get hurt one bit and the gun will be lighter than factory since it originally came with a steel SBH grip frame.

After market brass grip frames are going for $200.00. BUY IT it's a good deal. Pick up a NMSBH grip frame and you got the buy of the year. They just keep going up in price. $900.00 around here.
Eric

Coogs

Maximum
I'd buy it...........if you do and don't want the brass grip frame, let me know. I've got a few frames off of some Maxi's laying around. Always wanted a brass frame to stick on something. By the way, to the best of my knowledge Ruger DID NOT brass frame a Max!

Joe S.

Hunter
I'd buy that in a heartbeat!!bet you could swap for a super grip frame (what cam on em factory) and a couple hundred bucks. I'd make that offer to you anyway. Probably.

MaxP

Buckeye
41-44-45-48 said:
Well, I'm not really into customs, so no need for base stock. My interest is as a shooter, but truth be told I'm not a fan of brass due to weight, especially not on an already heavy max. I probably would have grabbed it if it had been standard configuration.

Believe it or not, they are not much heavier than the standard framed revolvers with the same length barrel.

Prescut

Single-Sixer
No one has mentioned that the Maximum might be able to stretch that brass grip frame. Very high pressure rounds.

Cap and Ball brass frames are stretched all the time with low pressure Black Powder.

Before it could stretch the grip frame, it would have to stretch the main frame, the part that's made of chrome-moly steel. Pretty unlikely.

The brass main frames of the old percussion revolvers were another story altogether, and their brass alloys were somewhat questionable.

s4s4u

Hunter
Chamber pressure isn't going to affect the grip frame. It would take a mean kicker to bend a grip frame and an even meaner dude to hold on to it ;-)

street

Hunter
Ruger did put the Brass Grip frame on their Old Model .44 Mag. so it shouldn't be a problem with the Max.