357 Max 10.5" in a international metallic silhouette association box

Help Support Ruger Forum:

twriggen

Single-Sixer
I purchased a Ruger 357 max in the 10.5" that came with a copy of the old mahogany box for the Super Blackhawk. I bought the gun but didn't factor in the value of the box. Any info on the set up and what I should pay for the box that came with it? I bought it with the Ruger decal double side taped to the box and didn't see the IMSA sticker until I pealed the Ruger badge off it.

Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_6501.JPG
    IMG_6501.JPG
    474.3 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_6503.JPG
    IMG_6503.JPG
    494.2 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_6504.JPG
    IMG_6504.JPG
    427.4 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
The case was for 10.5" Super Blackhawk .44 Mag IHMSA guns that were rollmarked with IHMSA logo on the topstrap and numbered on the butt, 500 made with 100 of those sold as 50 pairs by RCA in double size cases.

IHMSA-106-7.jpg

IHMSA-106-6.jpg

Several editions, the ones with cases were the 3rd series

1686489993266.png

I have the first RCA double gun pair #401 & 402 but can't find any pics of those. I got them second hand over 20 years ago from a fellow who was selling off his single action collection to concentrate on the .22 auto pistols. The one in the pics above was a single that came and went, it was #106.

IHMSA-106-8.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
Troy,
from what I can glean from the pictures,, your box may have been modified to fit the .357 Maximum. Look closely at the wood cut-out,, of what WMG posted, & the un-even cuts on your box.
The .357 Maximum was also a bit longer in the frame than the SBH.

Just a little info from looking at the pictures.

I'd be leery of paying too much for that box.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Good point about the Max having a longer cylinder frame.

Another bit of info is that the 10.5" .44 Mag IHMSA guns were the S410N base model with the tapered barrel and ramp front sight. There were not all that many S410N and even fewer stainless KS410N guns made before the switch was made to the bull barrel guns with the hooked front sight models S411N and KS411N. The 411 guns also got a longer ejector rod & shroud.

twriggen

Single-Sixer
I had looked it over and couldn't see where it had been modified so I pulled out a Super Blackhawk to see how it fit. The ejector rod is longer on the Max. After a closer inspection of that section, it appears, maybe, to have been modified but the Super Blackhawk fit perfectly, other than the barrel length as I don't own a 10.5" Super, into the cut out while the Max was a very tight fit. Looking at your picture versus mine it appears to be cut out for the longer ejector housing.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I dug out the case for my pair, it is easier to get to than the guns which are buried deep.

Reading the enclosed RCA letter refreshed my memory about the doubles. Out of the entire run of 500 guns, there were 50 pairs available. The RCA guns 401-500 included 10 of those 50 pairs, making the total of 100 guns dedicated to pairs, The cashier's check receipt for $880 indicates there was a $30 premium for the pairs over the cost of two individual guns since the above specifies $425 included shipping.

I'm not sure what to make of the RCA certificate that states the range started at 83-80000 for a total of 501 guns. Maybe 83-80000 was retained by Ruger as one of their "cabinet" guns. The RCA letter and the certificate conflict regarding that first number and the total.

IHMSA-DoubleCase-1.JPG

IHMSA-DoubleCase-2.JPG

IHMSA-DoubleCase-3.JPG

IHMSA-DoubleCase-4.JPG

IHMSA-DoubleCase-5.JPG

I would see who was there when showing up and wait to see who was shooting what. If factory teams were there they were either pushing Stock and Unlimited leaving Modified fair game for me. If it was just locals I would usually run Unlimited. Also having one grip and trigger makes training easier because everything is the same.