327 Fed Mag dies and loads....questions???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
I'll be shooting a 4.20" GP-100 and a 5.5" Blackhawk in the 327. I will also be shooting a 15" Thompson Center Encore in the 327 as soon as I talk them into making one. Anyway, I'm new to 32 caliber revolvers and I have some questions about ammo. Of the several other rounds, that these guns can shoot, which rounds are the best to reload for (brass avaiability, fun factor etc)?

I want to reload for the 327 but I'm not sure what size dies will work best. I don't want to "shoot myself in the foot" by getting the wrong ones. Do I look for 32 H&R dies? One of the other sizes? I'm somewhat new to reloading. So, please excuse my ignorance in advance.

Also, what are some good loads for the 327? I'm looking into eventually casting my own pills and would like some suggestions as to which molds and grain weight would be good ones to look for. Thanks again in advance for your inputs.

Rainman

Blackhawk
I use RCBS dies that will handle 327 Federal, 32 H&R mag, 32 S&W long and short. All you do is just adjust the die out as the case length increases with different cartridges. I use the Lee Factory Crimp die for the final crimp for everything I load.

Hornady XTP bullets in 85 and 100 gr both work well.

Dan

BenT

Bearcat
I would go for the heaviest grain weight in the 327, which is usually 115 gr to 120 gr. You'll loose a little speed but get more punch.

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
BenT,

I would have to agree with you about the heavy weight rounds being a good choice. I just watched a video (online) where they were comparing the 85 grain Federal Personal Defense round to the 115 grain Speer Gold Dot hollow point offfering, out of the SP-101. I can't seem to find where I saw the video to post a link. Maybe someone can help out, with that, if they have the same info handy.

Anyway, they both performed well. However, when shot into ballistic gelatin, the 115 grain Speer ROCKED the gellatin with noticably more force. Penetration was 15 inches for the 115 grain Speer and 13 inches with the 85 grain Federal. Expansion was awesome with both rounds with the edge probably going to the 115 grainer.

Now, it really wasn't an "apples-to-apples" comparison as the Federal 85 grain Personal Defense round is considered "low recoil" or "lower velocity" but the 115 grain Speer looked like the clear winner as far as thump-factor is concearned.

Either way, I'm really starting to like the concept behind this somewhat new cartridge.

32magfan

Blackhawk
BearHawk 357,

32 H&R brass is the easiest (not easy) to come by. I ordered 1,000 from Starline and they came in 4-5 weeks. I highly recommend their brass. :D They are not making 327 and have no plans for 2010 since they are so busy with current products. :?

You can buy the Federal American Eagle 50 round boxes of 100 gr. softpoints for $28-35 / box and shoot them up and reload. 327 brass is a bit hard to find. Someone mentioned Freedom Arms having some but I have not checked on their status.

I cast two bullets for 32's. One is an RCBS RN at about 90-95 grains for plinking loads. The other is a Lee 115gr RNFP made for the 32-20 but works great in the 32 Long, Mag & 327. Wheel weights work ok - usually add a little tin to make the bullets fill out better.

I have not done much load development yet on 327. Here's what I have tried so far:
3.5 gr of Clays behind that 115gr RNFP was quite accurate and CLEAN. 3.5 gr Red Dot was pushing 1,000 fps and accurate as well.
3.0 gr Titegroup was the accuracy winner and still quite clean. :wink:
None of these loads are heavy, just plinking and target loads that I play with.

Good luck with the new 327's. I have the same two guns and I like them both alot. I wish I had tried the GP100 sooner on 357's - another gun I gotta try and buy.

P.S. Watch out for the 32's - they can be highly addictive. My next one will be #10.

Thanks,

32Magfan

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
I load the 327 using Lee 32H&R dies. Works great. I wanted a light bullet going fast, and bought a BUNCH of 71 grainers. Long story, but my little SP101 does not like a bullet that light apparently. Got some weird results when going to the heavier powder charges. So I got some 100 grain LRNFP's, and although they of course won't go as fast, they shoot well, and give expected loading results. I don't like publishing my recipes, but I've done quite a bit of experimenting with the 327 loads, and have chronographed them all. If you want, PM me and I'll send you my data.

I think you'll like the little 327; I sure do. Brass is available from both FA and Midsouth Shooting; (the latter I hear is temporarily out, but will get more). I paid FA $23/100 for brand new primed cases. Midsouth listed their prices at about $20/100 unprimed.

I have found the Federal American Eagle 100 grain soft point ammo for around $25-$26 per box of 50. When you realize that buying two boxes of it, costing around $50 also gives you 100 empty cases to reload, (which would cost you aroung $20), you are shooting the original cartridges for around 30 cents a shot. Not bad at all!

P.S. Ditto on the use of the Lee FCD; wouldn't load without it!

38-55

Bearcat
New here. Have been playing with a 327 in a Charter Arms Target Patriot, 4", adjustable sights. I've tried light and heavy for caliber and find that heavy is much more accurate. I also find that slower powders work better. I cast a Lyman 311316 and size .313, weighs 115 gr. and over a healthy charge of AA#7 it is impressive. I'm working up to try AA#9 with the cast bullet.
Great fun cartridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts