32 Maggie Strikes Again

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
Callshot was saying all the Cottontails would be gone, well I waited for another snow storm & went back to my favorite spot & there were tracks every where. Rabbit tracks, coyote tracks & one set of Bob Cat tracks in the fresh snow.
I've mentioned before my honey hole is along a road where the county dumps all the road kills & there's a cow moose there, along with several deer that have been hit by cars & trucks so its a magnet for predators looking for a snack.
I probably hunted for only 45 minutes, saw 5 rabbits & got all 5 with 6 shots. One of the long shots was on a bunny that wouldn't stop running around & when he finally did he stopped on some dry ground instead of snow. With my 70 year old eyes thats a bad shot for me, I can see them until I get behind the sights & then they fade right into the surrounding cover. I held where I thought he was & hit him but it wasn't a center hit. I slipped out of the truck & Indian upped on him in the heavy sagebrush. After 3-4 minutes I spotted him facing me head on through the heavy cover. I took the only shot he gave me & hit him right between the headlights, dead rabbit. If there's a better rabbit sixgun than the 32 maggie I'd have to see it. Accurate, quiet, cheap to load, easy on the meat but as deadly as Callshot on a free cheeseburger!

Dick

sixshot

Buckeye
Keep in mind most of these shots are close, what raises the degree of difficultly is you almost never see a whole rabbit. The shots usually range from 10 yds out to sometimes 40 yds. But they hide very well in the sagebrush, lava rocks, weeds, old grasses, etc. so you seldom see much to shoot at. If I have a good back ground like snow then the stand out really good for me but if they are on a dry spot or a lava rock I am in big trouble with iron sights.

Dick

contender said:
You are worse on them bunnies than Callshot on a huckleberry shake!
Oh no Ty, you have opened a can of worms there! :p Good shooting/ hunt sixshot. You make a very good case for owning a .32 revolver especially in light of inability to find .22 LR at reasonable prices. 8)
gramps

wesm

Bearcat
I love stories like this. Makes me want to move to Idaho and take up rabbit hunting with a revolver! Great photo and writeup!

sixshot

Buckeye
Not on the 32 maggie, but I should try one just to see how it works. I hate to change anything on this gun it shoots so well. I think I could hold it upside down & hit them. I do have a peep on my 41 Bisley.

Dick