32 H&R SSS, Why should I buy one?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

flatgate

Hawkeye
I've had these two for many years.
357573210.jpg

Both were well used when found and both now sport Bisley hammers and retimed cylinder latches. One has a "aftermarket" brass grip frame and the other sports a stainless version.

My latest is one of the early, SSM Marked, 5-1/2 inchers.....

I found it in a local shop a few months ago and it was kinda trashed by a previous owners attempt at a free spin pawl. At least it has a full circle cylinder ring and all the screws are junk... :D

I got the timing straightened out (no more ring) but need some refinishing work...... it's too horrible to show on the Forum.

flatgate

Landric

Bearcat
I really like the .32 Magnum also. The Super Single Six is a great little gun and up to the true potential of the cartridge.

One of my local gun shops actually has Georgia Arms .32 H&R 100 grain SJHP in stock for something around $20/50. I but some from time to time just to keep my brass supply up. Once Starline gets a bunch of brass in stock I need to buy 1000 or so cases.

As for handloading, the Lee Classic Turret is, IMO, the best bargin in presses today. Its solid and inexpensive, plus its significantly faster than a single stage. I do the huge majority of my handgun loading on the LCT. I mostly single stage rifle (expect .223 that I do on the LCT) and use a Dillon Square Deal B for .45 ACP. Still, if I had to pick one press for all my needs, it would be the Lee Classic Turret.

pakrat57

Bearcat
Landric":3w4rsjrh said:

As for handloading, the Lee Classic Turret is, IMO, the best bargin in presses today. Its solid and inexpensive, plus its significantly faster than a single stage.

The Lee Classic Turret just happens to be the one that I'm looking at. I found a starter kit at a pretty good price, hopefully it'll be about the same price when I get the funds for it.

jpdesign

Single-Sixer
quick question,
I have one, stainless vaquero style, with the square grip. I keep seeing the birds head come up but not the square grip, are they rear or something? I was thinking about selling it but not sure.

Jimmy

gak

Buckeye
Not especially rare, but they do seem to come in waves. For those shopping for a fixed- sight .32, the one thing you have to be careful (very) about with the plowhandled ones is distinguishing between--and getting (or not)--the ones with the "regular" (XR3-Red/large frame NM BH/Vaquero/SS) grips and a batch they made with short gripframe for women, youth and other small-handed folk. If buying from a store (or private party) they often don't know--or won't tell--the difference and which they have. For a period of time the majority seemed to be of the short variety, but sometimes they could be found right beside the regular handled ones in the gun case. Buyer beware, regardless/depending which one you might want.

gak

Buckeye
No, but a fair number of them...not especially rare (among the fixed sighted ones). They always seemed to be the ones in the case when looking for the other! Someone else may be able to chime in here with numbers or at least __% of the "Vaqueritos"--or at least of the plowhandled ones. Failing that--Ruger?

dougader

Hunter
The market seems to flooded with the little stainless vaqueritos with the birdshead grip right now. So IMO now is the time to buy 1 or 2 if you've ever thought about owning one.

I'll admit, though, handloading makes owning the 32's even more enjoyable.

WARD

Single-Sixer
I am under the impression that Ruger recently released some of these guns - perhaps a cleanup run of odd parts. I thought I'd heard that some distributors had some of these fixed sight models in stock - but that might have been a month or two ago. Whatever the case, now is certainly the time to buy if the price looks attractive!

I am up to three of these fun little guns, 1 adjustabel and two fixed sight models. I am currently toying with the idea of having my gunsmith cut a dovetail into the barrel for the front sight to give me just a little sight adjustment for the gun. Anyone tried this???

They are great fun -

Ward

FrontSite

Single-Sixer
I have to agree that the 32 and the Single Six is a great match up and
my favorite also. I was up to eight of them but just let one go and hope
to sell another. I've got four or five I shoot regular. The long grip
Vaquerito is rare.. RENE says 500 of each blued/stainless. One of the
Forum members has some of the cleanup SS birdheads for sale now for
$399 .. sounds like a deal if your looking for one.

Also ..Go for the Lee Classic Cast Turret.. you won't regret it !!
because you have to reload to get the most out of the 32

FrontSite