.32 H&R Single Six at Davidsons

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gak

Buckeye
I'm sorry if late to any discussion of this - did search and the system said .32H&R too common a term ?#/? Adding Davidson's to the query didn't get me to the .32....

Anyway, available in stainless adjustable sight, but of more interest for me for the first time ever availability of a 5.5" in the fixed sight Vaquerito (my term). Just picked mine up as companero to my stable of earlier 4-5/8 models. Nice gun, but sans the faux case coloring I admit it begs to be antiqued and/or given a Harton, Turnbull etc "CCH" treatment to give it some more character these "cowboy" configurations seem to "need" of late, especially given the stark ultra black "bluing" Ruger imparts to its revolvers these days. Haven't even cocked yet, awaiting a tuning appointment which will have the side benefit of eliminating or reducing future drag line. I had a first run 5.5" adjustable back in 1984 and loved the thing - to me one of the best gun/combos ever, but I let it go at a cash-poor moment I've regretted. Love my 4-5/8s but the 5.5 to me was the missing link and balances the gun perfectly while giving it a bit more presence in the Single Six.
Pics to come when I get it back.

Forewarning, Davidson's says these will ship (to your local Davidson's outlet) with either the black "hard rubber" OR wood laminates and they mean it--and I don't believe you have much if any say in the matter. Mine came with the black plastic fantastics, but I'm glad 1) while nice, I already have a set of the rosewood (?) laminates and, I'm sure I'm in the minority here 2) I actuslly like the black plastic fantastics - make for a good workin', trailin' grip, especially after my "aging treatment" of a dose of 00 or 000 wool over a wastebasket, not to smoothness but just enough to knock some of the aggressiveness down to more closely approximate the Colt feel. These grips also will put me more in the mood for some nice customs, elk or woods, for the times the gun isn't out working but just being admired--and probably all the more important (a plus of the laminates) on a sixgun without CCH or antiquing to set it off.

Thankfully no confusion this time around about whether you're getting the "short XR3 Red" or regular XR3 Red--which ran concurrent for awhile during the Vaquerito's first run years ago. No such complexity now - it's the regular grip only.

toroflow

Single-Sixer
I procured a stainless one on Gunbroker a couple weeks ago for $499. I really don't think many of them will be made.

chopperdoc

Bearcat
I bought one of the adjustable sight stainless 32's from a dealer in AZ .it is one of the Davidsons guns with Williams green fiber optic sights.

Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but I hope to remedy that this Saturday after our monthly rimfire match.

I had the stainless 327 but the seven shot cylinder was a PITA to load. The six shot is much easier. Just like the blue one I have.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
gak said:
I'm sorry if late to any discussion of this - did search and the system said .32H&R too common a term ?#/? Adding Davidson's to the query didn't get me to the .32....

Anyway, available in stainless adjustable sight, but of more interest for me for the first time ever availability of a 5.5" in the fixed sight Vaquerito (my term).

Thankfully no confusion this time around about whether you're getting the "short XR3 Red" or regular XR3 Red--which ran concurrent for awhile during the Vaquerito's first run years ago. No such complexity now - it's the regular grip only.

Vaquerito is actually a Ruger term, used in their marketing:
VaqueritoBrochure.jpg

Almost all the original Vaqueritos had XR3-RED Short grip frames. Only 500 each of stainless and blue had the standard XR3-RED grip frames.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
JLarsson said:
Did Ruger ever make an adjustable sight stainless .32 H&R that did NOT have the fiber optic sights?

They never made any Stainless .32s with adjustable sights period, except for a prototype or two in 1984 for the SHOT show. And only 99 of the current issue are reported to have been produced.

JLarsson

Single-Sixer
How hard would it be to swap out the fiber optic sights for a set of regular sights? Is that even possible?

Thanks for the help.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
It's as easy as taking the grips off and putting another set on. One screw for the front sight and one screw and push the pin out for the rear. Available from Brownells besides Ruger. Be sure to get the front sight for the .32, it's taller than the .22 single six sight.

JLarsson

Single-Sixer
Thanks. That's good to know about the sight height. I've got 3-dot fiber optic sights on my Glock, but not sure I'd like them on a Ruger single action.