.303 Woodleigh bullets

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Peacemaker

Bearcat
Anyone who re-loads the .303 British ever use these bullets? They get quite rave reviews.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/746084/woodleigh-bullets-303-british-77mm-japanese-312-diameter-215-grain-weldcore-round-nose-soft-point-box-of-50

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Are you gonna shoot them in a rifle, or for a purpose, where the extra cost is justified?

For example, I shoot a well worn No. 4, Mk II Enfield which ranges from "battle field" to "minute of Bambi" accurate w/ mid-range bullets from Hornady, Speer and Sierra. Pricier bullets aren't gonna make it much more accurate like someone shooting a tighter rifle might experience (didja look at that one fella's target?), but if hunting something big, tough, thick or ornery, those heavy Woodleighs oughta earn their keep. 215 gr bullets have been popular in Canada for moose and other big stuff for decades... and I've never seen any reports where someone complained the .303 was "underpowered" w/ 'em.

Of course, there's only one way to know, so we'll watch for range/hunt reports!

Rick C

Peacemaker

Bearcat
Thanks, Rick. Actually I was just posting for info to you guys who , like me, really enjoy shooting the old battle axe. I can remember when I was a teen Remington used to sell factory 220 grain ammo for the Enfield. Now you can't find any factory ammo over 180 (at least I haven't) and up til now only found solid lead over 200 grains. I kind of stumbled on these Woodleighs and thought I'd share.