.30 Super Carry again..!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
I guess we shooters and reloaders are proving we won't buy any new caliber being "sold to us" just because the writers say it's great... I just got the latest issue (September, 2023..:) of Shooting Times where Lane Pearce says (paraphrase) that it's the third time he 'reports' on the .30 Super Carry and he hopes the "third time is the charm". It seems that it's not taking off like the creators and writers had hoped. He goes on to, again, to make a case for it, but, evidently, we're smart enough not to be influenced, and, we've fought off our esteemed writers pushing yet another "not really needed" new cartridge. GOOD FOR US ... (y)
IMHO of course,
J.

gunman42782

Hunter
I know some will disagree with you, but I couldn't agree more. I think there are enough cartridges to fill any niche you could possibly think of.

Yeah but by thinking like this, we also have enough movies and music to fill several lifetimes. Or books, who needs more new books? A new fusion restaurant? New car technology?

Im not buying one, but that's only because I've slows down buying more guns. I wouldn't shoot one enough to justify buying reloading dies and components for another caliber.

But for new shooters new to the sport? I hope it catches on.

I don't think members of this forum are the caliber for this target audience of this new product. Yes a weak attempt at a double pun…sorry. But you get my drift.

Xrayist

Single-Sixer
I agree with the OP. Also, manufacturers are putting out new cartridges, but not providing for us reloaders. Did a quick search and 30 Super Carry brass seems to be up there with 32-20, 30-40 Krag, 480 Ruger and several others. Instead of creating a new cartridge/caliber, why don't they just keep up with demand for ammo/components for those calibers that have been around for many decades, and probably several hundred thousand firearms chambered for the "old" calibers.

JCK

Single-Sixer
I hope everyone keeps feeling this way.
Same response to the .356TSW back in late '90's and early 2000's.

Nowadays, a S&W Performance Ctr .356TSW brings $2500+ on auctions.
If my .30SC does the same, it'll be money in the bank.
Besides, it's an unbelievable tack driver and consumes precious little in lead and powder.
I'm considering buying a half dozen and squirreling them away in case they do become collectors items.
I've bought enough ammo/brass to last a lifetime.
I remember when a certain caliber got the same treatment.
I think it's called a 10mm!

noahmercy

Blackhawk
Naming it "30 Super Carry" is part of what they did wrong. It uses the same bullets as the 32 caliber handgun cartridges. "320 Auto Mag" would have sounded better. If they had really wanted to include the word "carry" in the title, "320 Carry Mag" would still have been more impactful. (And yes, I am aware that the bullets are actually closer to 31 caliber than 32...)

to give credit where due, it is a great cartridge...the 32 calibers are inherently accurate, and performance should be the same as a "Ruger level" 32 H&R Mag, which is nothing to sneeze at.

But I agree wholeheartedly that until the ammunition and component manufacturers can keep up with existing cartridges, they should abstain from creating new ones.

The A Team

Bearcat
With 9mm taking increasing share of sales in recent years they needed another ' not 9mm' cartridge for those with deep pockets to buy. 9mm has a become the standard for young adults on a budget. The manufacturers want more diversity to maintain price structure and profit margins vs the many companies making 9mm.

It is interesting that the largest ammo manufacture conglomerate has been pushing the 30 super carry. It's obvious they are concerned about losing market share to lower priced competitors. 9mm is so common that prices keep falling over time as production catches up with demand. Most niche cartridges maintain a high price structure over time, as most competitors decide not to take the risk of entering an uncertain market.

Gary Lee

Not a Fudd
My curiosity and creative imagination keeps me interested in innovative technology, so I recently purchased a S&W Shield Plus in 30 SC for testing the new ammo and to compliment my Shield Plus in 9x19, which I now carry.

After firing fifty rounds of the few available brands of 30 SC ammo that is currently available, I decided to send the pistol back to S&W to have the sights repaired. It consistently hit left of center at 15' and the drift adjustable front sight wouldn't budge. Should get it back this coming Monday. :)

The 30 SC is a loud and snappy little high pressure round, but felt recoil is lighter than a 9mm.

As far as I know, only three different pistols and a Hi-Point carbine are currently offered in 30 SC.

One size never fits all! Just take a look at all of the opinions here:

Some new cartridges make sense for one purpose or another, or one group of users or another. Anybody remember the 9mm Federal (9x19mmR, picture a 9mm version of the .45 Auto Rim)? It might have been the ideal round for what @Hvymax called the "perfect carry revolver", because you could shorten the cylinder & frame, which would reduce size and weight, while maintaining performance. The .327 Federal Magnum was another great round that hasn't taken off. The .30 Super Carry may be a similar cartridge for autos; whether it sticks around or not, only time will tell.

In many ways, I think, success or failure isn't determined by cartridge design or performance - it's determined by whether there's enough general economic prosperity ("buying power") to overcome inertia among manufacturers and gun owners. Obviously, arbitrary legal restrictions can also influence outcomes.

As always FWIW, YMMV, IMHO, etc., etc.
:)

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
The .327 Federal Magnum was another great round that hasn't taken off.

The .30 Super Carry may be a similar cartridge for autos; whether it sticks around or not, only time will tell.
Not taken off ????? I guess location is part of it but around here it certainly has. Any 327 (or 32mag) that hits the shelves for a reasonable price is sold in a matter of hours. Many still looking for one or more.

If the 30SC is not selling, instead of beating a dead horse, perhaps the writer (Lane Pearce) should be asking why the manufactures are determined it is only a self-defense round? I don't need another self-defense round.
I would love to see it in a svelte 5 or 6 inch barreled semi-auto target/field gun. Think MK4 on steroids.
Look at the cool 22mag semi's they are coming out with these days.
Hunting/target/field guns is what it took to breathe life into the 32mag/327 after the manufactures almost killed them by trying to corral them as snubby self-defense guns.
The cartridge itself has a purpose ,,,,,,, they just have to find it.

Last edited:

Rclark

Hunter
With .22LR, .32 H&R Mag, .357 Mag, .44 spec/Mag, .45 Colt, I just don't see the need for any other cartridge. If I can't get 'er done with these, then one is living in a different world than I am :)

Gary Lee

Not a Fudd
After waiting a month, I received my S&W Shield Plus in 30 SC a few days earlier than anticipated.

Apparently, the S&W techs claim the sights are on. As far as I can tell, they didn't adjust them. :rolleyes:

Also, the front night sight no longer glows in the dark. This is probably due to all of our failed attempts to adjust it. But it's still a clearly visible orange sight for daytime use, so I think I can live with this aggravation.

At least they sent a new 16 round magazine back with it. :)

Gary Lee

Not a Fudd
30 SC ammo is currently limited to 100 and 115 grain FMJ and HP bullet loads. I think adding a 90 grain monolithic HP bullet providing a much higher MV/E would pique some interest. I know I would probably adopt it for carry. 🙂

JCK

Single-Sixer
30 SC ammo is currently limited to 100 and 115 grain FMJ and HP bullet loads. I think adding a 90 grain monolithic HP bullet providing a much higher MV/E would pique some interest. I know I would probably adopt it for carry. 🙂
I agree! Underwood loads a .327Fed load with a 95gr Xtreme Penetrator load to 1,500fps.
Personally, I prefer my load of a 113gr Lee .309" FNGC (mold aluminum taped to throw .315, sized .314") over 6.1gr of LongShot with a CCI SRP.
Gets 1,200fps and no primer swipe…
Cost pennies, not DOLLARS to shoot. ACCURATE!

Gary Lee

Not a Fudd
Just returned from a local indoor range where I put 80 rounds through the Shield Plus. Functions great all around. And the techs must have done something to correct the sight problem, because it hits where I aim now. :)

As for defense ammo, the Hornady FTX has proven to be the most consistently accurate brand of 30 SC for me.

I let the RO shoot it. He and I are both .40 S&W fans, and he said it reminded him of a mild .40 load.