30 carbine 3-screw issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mo58

Bearcat
Recently picked up a ruger blackhawk 3-screw in 30 carbine at a gun show. It seems like a good gun overall.. a little wear thats looks good, locks up tight n shoots dead on...but one chamber seems to be cut too deep. Firing pin leaves a dent but cannot fire 99%of the time. Shot some rimmed stuff ..32h&r cowboy loads... the fouling from doing so was enough to get that chamber to shoot. ..so its close but may as well be a mile off.

Appreciate any advice :idea:

veeman

Single-Sixer
Mark that cylinder and use it for your empty chamber, load the other 5 only. Sorry, that's all I got. Might have to find a different cylinder.

sixshot

Buckeye
Shoot 32/20's in it. You will have to shorten them a bit. I trim mine to 1.190" but mine's a new model, you will have a recessed rim so your trim length will be different than mine but it works great using a rimmed case.

Dick

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Sixshot , interesting. So after fire forming the brass in the .30 chamber you reload using a .30 carbine die set, yes/no? Please share your methods tart to finish. I have tons of .32-20 brass but have not bought a BH .30 carbine due to the ammo issue. It seems to be even hard to find brass for it although I have a die set and bullet molds.

sixshot

Buckeye
Mine is a NM & Ale could be right because of the recess. I never tried 32/20 brass when I owned a few old models so you'll just have to trim & see if it works. I know is works great in my gun & many others are doing the same thing. I use 32/20 die's & also am having good luck with cast slugs anywhere from .309" to .312". Actually the 312" size with a GC is shooting best for me, well under an inch at 25 yds.

Dick

5of7

Hunter
If it was mine, I would put a longer firing pin in it. It would only need to be .015" loner that the existing one. Maybe you can find one that is an after market item.

Also I would remove the firing pin and make sure that there is no debris that interferes with the movement of the pin. That could also be part of the problem. 8)

sixshot said:
Mine is a NM & Ale could be right because of the recess. I never tried 32/20 brass when I owned a few old models so you'll just have to trim & see if it works. I know is works great in my gun & many others are doing the same thing. I use 32/20 die's & also am having good luck with cast slugs anywhere from .309" to .312". Actually the 312" size with a GC is shooting best for me, well under an inch at 25 yds.

Dick

Every time this come up I drag out my OM .30 Blackhawk and try some .32-20 in it. Nope . . . no way. The ammo drops into the chamber nicely, but I cannot even begin to turn the cylinder.

And it seems like such a good idea. I've considered buying a New Model just to try it, but . . .

:mrgreen:

sixshot

Buckeye
Ale, have you tried a trimmed case? Just wondering if the case is bumping the stop in the chamber & causing the problem or if its a head space problem against the recoil shield. Seems like they've talked about this on Paco Kellys site but can't remember the outcome. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Dick

sixshot said:
Ale, have you tried a trimmed case? Just wondering if the case is bumping the stop in the chamber & causing the problem or if its a head space problem against the recoil shield. Seems like they've talked about this on Paco Kellys site but can't remember the outcome. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Dick

Man, they drop in there right up to the rim like they were made for it. It's not a "bottoming out at the case mouth" thing.

I've seen talk of counterboring the chambers for the rim thickness or just facing off the entire rear of the cylinder, but that's not worth it to me.

I'd guess you'd call it a headspace situation . . . there just isn't room for all that rim thickness.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Mo58,

5 of 7 has the solution for you. It's simple and safe. But you don't need to search for a longer firing pin. Just remove athe pin, and cut back the shoulder .015" so it can travel forward further.

Or better yet, just pick up a new model .30 carbine cyl, could be a drop in or might need some minor fitting; timing won't be a problem. Solves your problem and you can shoot 32-20 as well, it does work in all new model .30 carnine cyls.

mo58

Bearcat
Yep thats the first thing I thought after I marked the cylinder ...it has no transfer bar ...its a five shooter. But, I hate leaving things "broken" when they can be fixed.

Great advise regarding the firing pin. I was thinking..if only the firing pin could reach just a bit further! 8)

Funny thing about trying out 32-20. I bought some loaded with Starline brass a bit back...neither this OMBH .30 nor my NMBH .30 will close up or rotate with it loaded. :?:

Thanks for all the replies!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Starline's thicker .32-20 brass is a real improvement on the original thin cases still used by the other ammo makers. Unfortunately as you found out, it doesn't work in these unorthodox uses in the .30 carbine, unless it's reloaded (and resized) once.

If you work on your guns, the firing is simple to remove and reinstall and just takes basic common sense. Drive the retaining pin out thru the loading gate trough. Then drive the firing pin and recoil plate forward thru the hammer channel.

Before reinstalling the retaining pin, shoot the bad chamber to verify the mods to the firing pin will discharge the cartridge in that chamber.

When replacing the retaining pin, orient the left end tip that was polished to the contour of the recoil shield, so it matches with the recoil shield again, when pushed in. I use a plastic toothbrush handle to drive it back so the contoured end isn't deformed.

mo58

Bearcat
Starline's thicker .32-20 brass is a real improvement on the original thin cases still used by the other ammo makers. Unfortunately as you found out, it doesn't work in these unorthodox uses in the .30 carbine, unless it's reloaded (and resized) once.
Had a feeling the fact that it is Starline brass was the reason they wont chamber.
Curious...where exactly are they binding things up?

Before reinstalling the retaining pin, shoot the bad chamber to verify the mods to the firing pin will discharge the cartridge in that chamber.

When replacing the retaining pin, orient the left end tip that was polished to the contour of the recoil shield, so it matches with the recoil shield again, when pushed in. I use a plastic toothbrush handle to drive it back so the contoured end isn't deformed.
8) Thanks ...I seem to be better at taking them apart than putting em back together.. :mrgreen:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
In new models with chambers that do not enclose the .30 Carb case heads, the fatter Starline 32-20 case doesn't chamber deep enough for the case rim to fit tight against the rear cyl face. The case heads bind on the upper half of the recoil shield where the headspace is regulated by the machined surface.

In the old models, the chambers are longer, enclosing the .30 Carb case rim, so the rear cyl face does not allow headspace for the rim of the 32-20 case. By recessing the chamber mouths for the larger diameter 32-20 case rims the cyl will shoot both cartridges.

And because the 32-20 headspaces on it's rim, your one extra deep chamber will not hinder ignition of the 32-20 round. Just recessing the 6 chambers is a 10 minute process if you can borrow a 32-20 reamer or find a local smith that has one.

veeman

Single-Sixer
The OP was using 30 Carbine rounds, one of the cylinders was bored too long apparently, causing the misfires, because the case fell too far into the chamber for the firing pin to reach the primer properly.

27 Man

Bearcat
Dug out my OM .30 carbine to see if .32-20 ammo would chamber. It does but won't clear when the cylinder rotates. My biggest pain is having to trim the .30 carbine brass back after most every firing so the cylinder doesn't bind.

Latest posts