.30-'06 Ammo Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Montelores

Buckeye
Hi, all -

Can someone please give me a brief education on the practical differences in bullet weights (factory ammo) of 150 gr. vs. 180 gr. for target shooting?

Or any other weights (or brands) of factory ammo?

This will be in a bolt-action (Remington Model 30, approx. 1940 vintage), and will be target shooting only (no hunting). Peep sights.

Thanks to all for sharing your experience -

Monty

mattsbox99

Hunter
There are a lot out there!

American Eagle makes a '06 load for the M1 Garand that is a 150 grain FMJ. That is what I would be shooting in your gun, its a lower pressure load. Its about $20 a box. Federal blue box 150 soft point would be a bit higher pressure and probably a bit cheaper. I don't buy factory loaded centerfire ammunition anymore.

Most of the 180 stuff is hunting stuff and is going to recoil more than the 150 stuff.

wwb

Hunter
Operating pressure (as long as it's within SAAMI spec) won't be a problem with that old Remington.

If your only use is target shooting, you'll probably get your best results with a 165 or 168 grain load, Several ammunition manufacturers make "Match" ammo, intended strictly for target use, and invariably use a 165 or 168 grain bullet in that load.

I have a number of 30-06 rifles, but all are sporters and not target rifles. They all seem to like different ammo: one loves about anything with 150 gr bullet and doesn't like any other weight; another won't shoot 150 gr but really likes the 168 match; another likes the 180; etc. For hunting accuracy it doesn't make a lot of difference, but for punching paper it can be downright frustrating if you're not shooting the ammo/bullet your gun likes.

So, buy or borrow a lot of different types of ammo and find out what your gun likes. This is a bit easier to determine with a scoped gun punching paper, but an aperature sighted gun can also be very accurately utilized.

Nice gun - have fun with it!

Montelores

Buckeye
Thanks, guys and gals.

As I do not reload, I'll experiment with a few different weights. It isn't a target rifle, but that's how I will be using it. It has a Lyman peep sight on it.

I was not familiar with the 165 and 168; only the 150 and 180. That's all my local store stocks.

As was mentioned, one issue is the SAAMI pressures and the fact that the rifle is 70+ years old, and I don't know what it was designed to handle.

Thanks again -

Monty

I believe the Model 30 is based on the Mauser design and I wouldn't worry about factory ammo pressures in it. It is a strong action. I'd start with the cheap ammo - you will probably be happy with that, and FMJ stuff is fine for punching paper. Have fun!

pisgah

Buckeye
Don't worry -- there's not a factory load out there that has pressures high enough to cause your 30 the slightest problem.

Major T

Blackhawk
As I recall, the 30 was a 1917 Enfield - commercial version, It is a good strong action and as stated, it is at least a first cousin to the Mauser of 1898. Very nice old rifle. jack

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Whatever you do, don't sit and ponder on it too long. Grab some 150's and 180's and start making noise!! Alot of '06's shoot well with the 165 grain load, which shouldn't be difficult to find.

Montelores

Buckeye
Thanks to all for the advice.

Jack - Yes, it is the commercial version of the 1917 (changed to cock-on-open, I believe).

Ferguson, that's a no-nonsense approach. I like it!

Best to all -

Monty

Coyote Hunter

Single-Sixer
For pleasure shooting at targets, ammo cost would be a prime determinant of what I shot.

Even with my handloads I tend to run fairly inexpensive bullets for targets - 150g Ballistic Tips and 168 A-MAX as these are close to what I shoot when hunting (150g AccUBond and 168g TTSX).

dacaur

Single-Sixer
for target shooting a lighter bullet will give less recoil, while also allowing higher velocity for less drift and drop.... the other consideration is sometimes a gun might not like a particular bullet weight...

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
I have a winchester 1917 that I sporterized a very long time ago. I've found that it prefers 180 grain bullets over 150's or 165's. Not by much, but by about 1/2 moa. The most accurate factory load was the old Remington RN 180 grain load. I don't know that they are still available. That rifle would shoot 1 1/4 inch groups with that load. Back in the day, I thought head shots were the best on whitetails, and that rifle would do them year after year. I've gotten a lot smarter over the years, and the gun shakes more than it used to. I don't hunt it much anymore, but my son does.
Bfly

Trey Whitley

Single-Sixer
Given the age of that rifle I'd run at least one box of 220-grain loads through it and see how those group- lots of the old rifles do well with the heavy loads as they were set up to shoot them originally.

One of the most accurate rifles I ever owned was an open-sight .30-'03 that I loaded for using resized 35 Whelan brass (to get the correct, longer neck) and 220-grain round nose bullets. Remington and Federal still offer factory-loaded 220's and if you should ever decide to hunt with that rifle you'll likely be impressed at how well the heavy, slow bullet works.