3 Screw Blackhawk, 357 Mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Likely shipped late in 1958. At serial number 17253 it could be either a Type 2 or a Type 3. The Type 2 has the "offset" ejector rod housing while the Type 3 has the "straight slot" housing. Can't quite see the full length of the housing on the left side of the barrel.

There was a mixture of both of these from about 17000 to about 18600 . . . give or take a few. ;)

There's no factory record of which style housing was shipped on any particular gun, and they are easily swapped out . . . thus dubbed by Bob C as "screwdriver variations". :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
The forcing cone could use some love from a Lewis Lead Away tool (no, sonny, those aren't screens for my pipe!), and the sight pin needs a tap back in from the left side. The ejector rod housing screw snugged up fine, and besides some edge wear at the muzzle (and the spot on the cylinder as noted), that's where it's at. Oh, and it was $449, not 499, I forgot. S/N: 17253…. HOLY CRAP 1958???? Seriously? This thing's older than ME? Oh, and it's "un-modernized".
that would be a Birth year gun for me ,, Very Nice catch

OMCHamlin

Single-Sixer
When changes are made they are different types. Ejector rod and trigger changes are 2 of the different things changed
Well, I'll have to see if I can find some good chronological info on changes on these now. Finding some random thing like this (I'm not a Ruger collector, but I KNEW this one was a find), I like learning about stuff like this. A chance deal on an M1A, and old single barrel 16 and this tired old Enfield No 4 led me to find that that "tired old Enfield, with the funny looking steel blocks screwed and pinned to the left side and a couple of holes in the comb of the stock", turned out to be a 1942 Savage that had been selected for sniper rifle conversion at Holland & Holland, and got far enough along in the process to have the scope blocks and raised comb installed. I wore out a handful of bronze brushes and finally got a decent bore out of it, cleaned it up, got checking into the cost to "finish what H&H started", and auctioned it off instead, bringing enough to pay for all three (and the old spam can of 30.06 that mysteriously came with it!?) You can't necessarily follow every thing down the rabbit hole, but that "adventure" was fun and I learned a bunch about that old Enfield. I WILL learn more about early Blackhawks out of this deal...

hittman

Staff member
Well, I'll have to see if I can find some good chronological info on changes on these now.
(y) Yes! Buy the books and immerse yourself. Dougan wrote a book. I think Huddleston (sp?) did too. And there's this:

And use the search feature for other threads here:

And keep picking the brains of members here. Congrats on your excellent start.

OMCHamlin

Single-Sixer
(y) Yes! Buy the books and immerse yourself. Dougan wrote a book. I think Huddleston (sp?) did too.

And keep picking the brains of members here. Congrats on your excellent start.
Yep, I read a good bit last night, and you can see I have no problem asking questions, either.

Hey, so this is how my day went, after checking those two out and putting $ on that 3 screw, I went over to the Flea Market (quickly becoming "El Mercado de Fleas", to get some... (wait for it, Mr King Red Neck went for....) bacon flavored pork rinds....! Them durn things is goot, I tell ya! Anyhow, walking past any number of junk knife hawkers, towards bacon nirvana, I stop and see this pearl among the poops: (he wanted $10 for it.)
thdfumbnail.jpg
qw.jpg

So at THIS point, I thought about lottery tickets, but I know MY luck only stretches so far.

ETA: Dang, I just checked these on flea bay, if this was "mint in the box", I'da covered near half of that Blackhawk!

Last edited:

hittman

Staff member
BTW …. There's a Knife Forum section on down the page a bit too if you wanna talk more knives and such. Your knife story may be a good thread starter there too!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Okay, come on? That means???
The Types are established years later by collectors, not by Ruger. It's how we keep track of the many minor factory variations and parts design updates. By using the serial numbers to provide the volume of guns with each change it determines the relative scarcity of each variation. These are all documented in books about Ruger's firearms. The best is Reference of Ruger Firearms by Chad Hiddelson a member of this forum.

Last edited:

southernbuck101

Single-Sixer
If you plan to put stags on it anyhow, I'd like to purchase the black factory grips it currently wears

Attachments

• 169915258839858877457963386158.jpg
    169915258839858877457963386158.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 43

Sgt Duncan

Bearcat
I agree wit mrs50sls56 above. This 1959 flat top .357 was acquired by my dad around 1960 and passed to me around 1970. The only thing I've changed on it was the grips and grip frame. Never really cared for the aluminum frame so a few years ago I swapped over to a Power Custom Colt style two piece steel frame with one piece walnut grips. For me, it balances much better.

Attachments

• IMG_2148.jpeg
    IMG_2148.jpeg
    326.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Hankus

Blackhawk
Yep, I read a good bit last night, and you can see I have no problem asking questions, either.

Hey, so this is how my day went, after checking those two out and putting $ on that 3 screw, I went over to the Flea Market (quickly becoming "El Mercado de Fleas", to get some... (wait for it, Mr King Red Neck went for....) bacon flavored pork rinds....! Them durn things is goot, I tell ya! Anyhow, walking past any number of junk knife hawkers, towards bacon nirvana, I stop and see this pearl among the poops: (he wanted $10 for it.)
View attachment 32652View attachment 32653

So at THIS point, I thought about lottery tickets, but I know MY luck only stretches so far.

ETA: Dang, I just checked these on flea bay, if this was "mint in the box", I'da covered near half of that Blackhawk!
Nice- I love my Benchmade autos, fell in love when I was issued an original AFO in the 90s. It was stolen out of my Jeep more than 20 years ago so I bought an AFO 2 Tanto and more recently picked up the smaller one for "only" $120 at a show.

Attachments

• IMG_5897.jpeg
    IMG_5897.jpeg
    325.9 KB · Views: 35

Latest posts