3" GP100 front sight options

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jesse4rmAZ

Bearcat
I have a 3" GP100 for everyday carry. I love that revolver, but the sights can be improved. The best option I have seen is the small wonder weapon sight from Gemini Custom. Is there any other options out there? Also, does anybody know the size of the punch/drill bit I would need for the removal and installation of the front sight?

Just looked at one of mine and it takes a 1/16 inch roll pin punch to remove and install and thusly a 1/16 inch drill bit. Drill from both sides when you install, that insures that you don't go in at an angle. When you remove the old sight, clean/degrease the groove, test fit to see if anything needs to be done to get it to fit correctly, remove and put a drop of Loc-Tite on it, install it where you want it, let the Loc-Tite dry then drill and reinstall the roll pin.

hittman

Staff member
I had one of those Small Wonder sites from Gemini on an SP101 ..... it was well worth the money.

Welcome to the forum.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
RoninPA said:
Just looked at one of mine and it takes a 1/16 inch roll pin punch to remove and install and thusly a 1/16 inch drill bit. Drill from both sides when you install, that insures that you don't go in at an angle. When you remove the old sight, clean/degrease the groove, test fit to see if anything needs to be done to get it to fit correctly, remove and put a drop of Loc-Tite on it, install it where you want it, let the Loc-Tite dry then drill and reinstall the roll pin.
This is excellent advice. The pin is indeed 1/16" and drilling half way through from each side does assure a straight hole. I didn't use Loc-Tite to retain the blade before drilling but I did clamp it in place to be sure it wouldn't shift while drilling. Loc-Tite is a good method too.