3-digit S26M/1B configuration in .308

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A friend of mine hooked me up with an individual who wanted to sell a 3-digit SN #1B chambered in .308. Condition wise my friend said it had some minor rust pitting on the barrel and some apparent safe dings on the wood. He said the wood was not outstanding in figure, just kinda plain. It has the original rings/sling swivels also.

I could get it for $1K, but my friend says it may not be what I am looking for, condition wise. I am currently at work and need to drive 60 miles just to see it. He rates it at about 90%.

What say you experts as to ballpark value? Thanks!

Dave

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
I sold it's sister last year for 1600. Was hunted, not beat up, full blue and a 97++ rifle, in the 6XX range. It is an uncommon gun.........See if the copper penny/Real copper choregirl with tranny fluid will clean up the alleged barrel rust............ 8)BTW: Vertical rings? If so, BUY IT!

Dantforth

Blackhawk
I can't offer any information regarding the rifle but I can regarding the surface rust. I have collected for years and the only product I will use is called "Blue Wonder". It will remove surface rust but will NOT touch the bluing and it is safe and biodegradable. A small tube is worth the price. Spread it on, let it sit a few minutes and then wipe off with 4X or 5X steel wool. Not trying to hijack here but just help. I have been lurking for some time and see references repeatedly about removing surface rust. Just a thought. Dave

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
It seems that most of the BB and AB 308s I have seen or heard of had fairly plain wood, except for the 2-digit AHS I had, which had very nice wood.