22LR, at $0.44/round

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vito

Hunter
I was at MC Sports today, and just thought I would see if they had any 22LR ammo (I don't think they have had any at this store in several years but I thought I could just ask). Much to my surprise the clerk said that did, indeed, have 22LR. I asked the price and he said $21.99 for a box of 50! Now maybe this is some high quality competition grade ammo, but I cannot imagine that I would ever consider spending that much for 22's. $0.10 a round, yes, but not $0.44.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Was it Ely Tenex or something of the kind?

If not, someone has put the price for a brick of 500 on a box of 50.

Yeah that is some pricey ammo. Both Dicks and Cabelas around here are flush with .22. The white box of Federal Match is $21 for a box of 333 rounds. I've gone through quite a few boxes this summer with very few FTF's.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Remember that some folks will happily spend thousands of dollars on "just a .22" just as some will spend thousands their AR. The difference is those 22's will shoot and not just be done for a look. They're shooting multiple shots into one little hole. You're paying for the finer quality control and consistency with the GOOD ammo. Look at the Weatherby and Kynoch ammo prices at $8-20 per shot. It's all relative.

exavid

Hunter
I have a box of Federal Ultra March in my safe that has a sticker price of $21.99 that I bought a couple years ago. Federal UM has always been pricey.

Pal Val

Buckeye
As long as I can reload .38 special for 50 cents a round, I won't buy .22lr for 44 cents. It just doesn't make sense.

Mtneer

Single-Sixer
Pal Val said:
As long as I can reload .38 special for 50 cents a round, I won't buy .22lr for 44 cents. It just doesn't make sense.

"reload .38 special for 50 cents a round"? Did you add an extra zero after "5" Pal Val? Even using my own cast bullets, I'm not sure I can reload .38 special for a 5 cents a round, but I can sure reload it for less than "50" cents a round. "50" cents a round is $25.00 for a box of 50. You can buy a lot of good, .38 Special factory ammo for less than that.

toroflow

Single-Sixer
I must've got lucky at Wal-Mart the other day, as they had the crap Remington 525 pack for $28. Works just fine in 10/22s.

toroflow

Single-Sixer
sliclee said:
Hang.on.to.your.hats.I.remember.paying.5.cants.a.box.of.50/when.I.was.a.kid.there.was.a.choice..22short.or.22long.Lee

Were they blackpowder loads?! HAHA, sorry, I just HAD TO! :D

Cholo

Staff member
sliclee, I think I need to send you $5 towards a new keyboard :mrgreen:

I'm running low on .22's but havn't looked at retail in awhile. I might go 6¢ per round for bulk, more for quality.

Pierow

Blackhawk
You sort of need to state what the ammunition is for the price to have any relevance. MC Sports in Rockford Illinois is currently selling Federal Premium Ultra-Match for 21.99 per box of 50. Brownells is currently selling at $17.99 per box so not all that out of line. My office is basically directly across the street from the store Vito referenced.

Pierow

sliclee

Single-Sixer
Cholo-I.cant.get.a.keyboard.like.mine.is.8yrs.old.is.my.daughters.first.laptop.special.to.me,dont.want.to.carry.a.external.I.have.a.new.appleair.next.to.me.Tried.for.2months.