.22 short question Was there a problem?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

john lee

Bearcat
A friend gave me a large mug of various .22 cartriges. I sorted out the long rifle, longs and shorts. Last week I shot some shorts in my Bearcat. They fired fine and gave a louder report than I expected.

Today I decided to burn up some of the longs in my Marlin 39M. I loaded the tube and included some shorts to make sure the gun would feed and shoot everything. The first short didn't seem to make a sound even though the bullet had left the case. I was afraid the bullet was stuck in the barrel but looking down the barrel I determined it was clear. Shot some more longs and shorts. Every short failed to make a sound although they apparently left the barrel. The cartriages are marked with a large letter C which I think would indicate CCI.

I shot shorts all the time as a kid in a BRNO rifle and never remember silent shots. Would the four-inch Bearcat and 18 inch Marlin be the only difference? I don't think I'll put the shorts I have left through the Marlin if I have to check the barrel every time I go shooting. I felt it was a bad omen when my dog refused to get out of the car. :shock:

Snake45

Hawkeye
They might have been CB caps, which would be darn close to silent in an 18" barrel.

hawkeye

Bearcat
John,

I have fired CB caps out of my Winchester 9422 and only thing I could hear was the sound of the hammer clicking on the receiver when I pulled the trigger. They are almost silent...great for critters in your back yard.

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
Like the above posters said, they're probably CCI CB shorts.

They're pretty loud from a pistol, and nearly silent from a rifle.

They're handy to have around for taking care of pests in the garden.

Daryl

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
john lee":mmik6t8r said:
Thanks for your replies. I just had so many of the shorts I didn't think they could be CBs.

They come in 100 rd plastic boxes, like CCI mini-mag boxes, but marked differently.

I have several boxes in my supply. I've had them for several years, 'cause at one shot per varmint they last a while.

Which is probably why you have so many mixed into those you were given.

Daryl

Cholo

Staff member
"The first short didn't seem to make a sound even though the bullet had left the case. I was afraid the bullet was stuck in the barrel but looking down the barrel I determined it was clear. Shot some more longs and shorts. Every short failed to make a sound although they apparently left the barrel."

How much ear protection were you using? I've shot CCI .22 CB longs for well over 30 years out of a shortened to 18 1/4" barreled Rem 581 and the report is mild. but hardly silent. I've read many years ago :roll: that the longs were actually a little less potent then the shorts, though I never chronographed either.

If yours are silent even without ear protection, I'd toss every one of them. Your "Every short failed to make a sound ..." doesn't, um, sound right.

I've shot both CB longs and shorts in that 581 and the report hardly requires ear protection, but they are far from silent.

toyhunt

Single-Sixer
Snake45":z932q0ne said:
They might have been CB caps, which would be darn close to silent in an 18" barrel.
Snake45 ,What would be the difference between a cap & short? Neighbor fixed by naa mini & we tried it with a cap? It did make a noise.Last time I shot a short was 40 yrs ago.

Cholo

Staff member
Well I'm not Snake, but the difference between a regular .22 short and a CB short is power aka velocity. Both I believe use a 29 grain bullet. I see no need for regular shorts unless a gun is designed to use them. The CB's make a lower report and are great for pest control where noise is a problem or more power isn't needed. I use .22 CB longs for pest control around my place. The Remington's sucked as there were too many squibs. The CCI's are much more consistant, but less consistant than a regular .22.

I consider 25-50 yds the max. distance with a CB anything, though I've shot blue jays out of tree tops at near 100yds when I did my part. Don't count on it. Yup, used to be I could shoot up high way back when there wasn't anything between where I shot and where it landed. If you look you can actually see a .22 CB's flight path, whether long or short.

Latest posts