.22 Bird shot??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sturgis270

Single-Sixer
Think I know the answer before I ask the question. Has anyone seen any stores or gun shops carrying .22 shot shells. .22 ammo is becoming more available but from what I see the shot shells are not any where. Checked some online sources as well as my usual local haunts without any luck.

I personally haven't. But you are correct, I'm seeing a lot more -DIFFERENT - 22 ammo than "before." I can find 22 shorts, and 22wmr regularly. Also more of the Aguilia (sp) brand than before. And more of the 50 round boxes of the highly accurate competition stuff. I can't think of the brand right now.

But no shot shells, sorry.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I have a few .22wmr shotshells left over. Not much good for anything more than10 feet away - snakes in particular. It's still available here, but very expensive. IIRC, I paid around $20 for 10rnds a few years ago.

txramfan

Single-Sixer
Federal Ammunition has 25 grain no 12 lead birdshot .22 available on line. $19.99 for 50.

gunzo

Hunter
Good job Cholo. Thanks.
I took a quick peek on Ammoseek & vendor pricing was a buck apiece & up.

I have better results with the CCI, but at less than half the price, I buy the crimped nose Federals when I need them. My papaw called them mustard seed shells.

eveled

Hawkeye
Do any of you have a smooth bore .22 ?
I've always wanted a Remington pump garden gun. A baby 870.

I've used many hundreds of rimfire shot shells, thousands possibly
Super effective in the tiny NAA mini revolver on rodents and other problems on the ranch

I also have a smooth bore Remington, which works very well, giving more range than the revolver

Those little shotshells are useful

jdavis

Single-Sixer
Your experience may be different but I no longer use the little .22 LR shot shells with #12 shot (dust shot). In my experience they are ineffective at anything other than point blank range from handguns and only moderate improvement from long guns. Years ago, I shot a snake at a distance of about 10 feet from a 6" handgun. The result was one teed off snake after being hit two or three times. It ultimately succumbed to a large stone. Now, I only buy the .38 or .44 shot loads which are far more effective.

Dan in MI

Staff member
I remember using the dust .22's inside my uncles barn to shoot pigeons. Up there in the rafters they would just shuffle a little and move 5 feet after a hit.The only thing the shot did do was get them flying after a few annoying hits. That's when the fun started. Someone would be posted outside the "porthole" at the peak with a 12 g and just hammer them as they flew away.

The Farm and Ranch store in Kennewick, WA seems to be over stocked with all the bird shots. They had rows of 22, 38/357, and 44sp/mag last week---several rows of each on the shelf. I have a decent stock of the 22 and load my own in 38 and 44, so never even pay attention other than to notice they had plenty.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Do any of you have a smooth bore .22 ?
I've always wanted a Remington pump garden gun. A baby 870.
Yes I have a 10? Year old savage mk1 smoothbore single shot bolt action. Works great and cost me like 150 bucks at a gun show. Works great to kill English sparrows nesting in your metal farm buildings.

Last edited: