2016 Ruger # 1

Help Support Ruger Forum:

El Numero Uno said:
I'm voting for a 44 Mag 1S with a 20" barrel this year; who would buy one?CLN

Now that sounds like a great idea !!

I would be like white on rice for any of the magnum pistol calibers in the RSI configuration !!

BRASS FRAME

Single-Sixer
Put me down for a No.1S in .44 MAG! In Ohio we can only use straight wall pistol cartridges or the older black powder calibers in a rifle, for white tail hunting. I took two nice bucks this winter with my No.1 in .357 Mag. I have one of the over run guns from the CHP production. I much prefer the .44 Mag. to the .357 with the obvious better down range energy.
brass frame/Lee

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Come to think of it, I recall an RSI in the current configuration is only able to handle up to 30 cal. 1A biggest I know of is 35 cal. Probably the 1S is the best choice for a 44 cal.

billpoole

Bearcat
Since we're all just dreaming here....

I want a No1S in 8x57 Mauser!
That, 200gr Ballistic Tips and an Elk tag...

a 1A marked .275 Rigby would be cool
as would a K1A (walnut) in 7x57
a K1RSI (walnut) in 7x57 or 6.5x55 would be nice

Poole

Cordite

Single-Sixer
BRASS FRAME said:
Put me down for a No.1S in .44 MAG! In Ohio we can only use straight wall pistol cartridges or the older black powder calibers in a rifle, for white tail hunting. I took two nice bucks this winter with my No.1 in .357 Mag. I have one of the over run guns from the CHP production. I much prefer the .44 Mag. to the .357 with the obvious better down range energy.
brass frame/Lee

A bit of Google-fu yielded this list of legal rifle calibers for deer hunting in Ohio:

.357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .450 Marlin, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110 and .500 Smith & Wesson

Opens up a few possibilities for a 1S.... .45-70 would be nice IMHO.

Cordite

Cordite

Single-Sixer
Yeah it is goofy.

The Ohio Administrative Code 1501:31-15-11 deals with deer hunting regulations. Section C-2-iv-a calls out that exact list of calibers.

Some states use a minimum and maximum straight wall case length to determine legality for hunting but for some odd reason Ohio does not.

Cordite

Rocdoc

Buckeye
billpoole said:
Since we're all just dreaming here....

I want a No1S in 8x57 Mauser!
That, 200gr Ballistic Tips and an Elk tag...

a 1A marked .275 Rigby would be cool
as would a K1A (walnut) in 7x57
a K1RSI (walnut) in 7x57 or 6.5x55 would be nice

Poole
Ok if dreaming, how about the K1RSI in 275 Rigby? A K1A in 275 Rigby would be nice as well.

BRASS FRAME

Single-Sixer
We are lucky to even have hand gun hunting in Ohio. For many years we were limited to shotgun slugs, black powder and bow. Cross bows are a fairly recent addition too. Our rifle rules are a compromise from no rifles, to mostly the listed hand gun calibers and many black powder calibers, all straight wall cartridges. I have hunted with a Ruger Hunter Bisley for as long as they were allowed. Now I would like a cartridge in the same .44 Magnum, but in a No.1 rifle. My hope is for a
No.1S with a 20" or 22" barrel. I think a walnut stock with SS action would be sweet? Brass Frame/Lee

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
BRASS FRAME said:
We are lucky to even have hand gun hunting in Ohio. For many years we were limited to shotgun slugs, black powder and bow. Cross bows are a fairly recent addition too. Our rifle rules are a compromise from no rifles, to mostly the listed hand gun calibers and many black powder calibers, all straight wall cartridges. I have hunted with a Ruger Hunter Bisley for as long as they were allowed. Now I would like a cartridge in the same .44 Magnum, but in a No.1 rifle. My hope is for a
No.1S with a 20" or 22" barrel. I think a walnut stock with SS action would be sweet? Brass Frame/Lee
Is this because of a lot of people or a lot of idiots in State Gov. I think it would be time to pack some bags.

ohiosam

Bearcat
Another Ohio deer hunter here for that would like an A or RSI in .44 mag, .444 Marlin, or .454 Casull. However my understanding is that the o.d. on the barrels on those models is too small for those chamberings.

Some more realistic requests. RSI in .308, S or B in .264 win mag., A in .22 hornet, A in .22lr,

Cordite

Single-Sixer
There is some hope for a straight wall chambering in a Number 1 ... On 13 Jan 2015 Jason C. of Lipsey's wrote this in the forum:

------
First, these are the "cataloged" items for 2015. We still can do some "special" runs like we have done in the past. Caliber selection is not as easy as it sounds mainly because proof ammo has to be sourced for any caliber we do. Finding proof ammo in the ultra obscure rounds or wildcats is near impossible and not worth trying to pursue for the small amount of interest in them. Another factor you have to take into consideration is if we want to keep Number 1's alive, we have to make them marketable enough that a gun store will actually stock them and not just special order when someone happens to come in and want one. For Number 1's to be viable, we have to offer some mainstream stuff that dealers feel comfortable bringing in knowing there are way more people looking for 223's or 30-06's than 225 Winchesters or 308 Norma Mags. This is not to knock any one's favorite round and dream Number 1, heck I like the obscure stuff too, but as a whole we have to be realistic in what sells.

Pistol caliber Number 1's are something we have talked about. There is a good demand for them in the states that allow them for deer hunting. Those would probably be candidates for special runs.
-------

Looks like something good could be done here.

Cordite

I'm still waiting for a No. 1 in 35 Rem. or 41 Mag. I'll probably never see either from the factory. So a couple of years ago I had a RSI re-barreled to 35 Rem. with a factory contoured barrel. Looks and shoots great.

SHOOTER

Buckeye
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/07/08/ruger-lipseys-introduce-6-new-ruger-no-1-rifle-configurations/

Sorry - I just saw this thread.

Any dealers here that can reserve a few 2016
Models??

WCM

Bearcat
Just for the record, I have a 2015 Lipseys #1 in .30/06
The rifle has very nice fit and finish.
The wood is nice, though nothing fancy.

I am getting the best accuracy with the Hornady flat base bullets in 150 and 165 grs.

I am using IMR 4350 with the 150 and IMR 4831 with the 165.
I have tried many other powders and this is what works best in my rifle.

I use Norma brass and Federal Gold medal match primers.

I very much like the 24" barrel and the weight .
They got it right with this one.