2004 .357 Birdshead Vaquero pair value ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Engine49guy

Bearcat
Hello,
I was organizing my safe and unearthed a pair of Ruger Vaquero .357's I bought around 10 years ago but never shot.
They are both LNIB, 4 5/8" Birdshead Vaqueros, both in .357 Magnum with white Micarta Ruger grips with medallions.
One is SS , the other has a blue barrel and cylinder with case colored frame.

Just wondering what they might bring at auction nowadays.

If it is worthwhile may put them up to make room in the safe.
Thanks in advance
Best regards

roylt

Hunter
I'm no expert by any means but a current bird goes for around 500 or so. I personally would like a 357 vs current 45. There are guys that collect birds that may have a better idea.

If you do sell, I hope you post here and let us know where and when.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
I'd be very interested in the grips. Either sale or trade - I have black micartas to replace them.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
The .357mags tend to bring the least of all of the original Vaqueros. $500 would be a generous bid. I've seen stunning examples go under $400. The birdy frames would help a little, but not much, since it limits their versatility.

roylt

Hunter
You could alway auction with a reserve. I am on a tight budget but would watch for sure. A stainless white bird would be nice....

Varminterror

Blackhawk
I don't know that I believe in 3 times as much, but I should have been more clear - I'd be willing to trade blacks to not leave you without grips on the revolvers, and make the trade worthwhile financially.

Engine49guy

Bearcat
Thank you for all for the info and offer,
While I do actually prefer black grips to white going to leave them as they shipped .

I have a friend that is keen for them but he is broke and wants to do some horse trading,
Have another friend that wants to put them up for auction but not so motivated if worth only $400.

Bought them years ago and never shot them in hopes of one day doing some sort of cowboy action shooting or something,
may just bury them back in the safe for now.

Thanks again

P89DC

Single-Sixer
Engine49guy said:
...may just bury them back in the safe for now....
Eventually Ruger will make a 357 birdshead on the newer Vaquero frame and these will be worth even less. I'd put 'em on gunbroker, I bet you get at least $500 for the case hardened and ~$450 for the stainless one. Why waste the space when there's someone out there that wants them?

Engine49guy

Bearcat
Having trouble finding any .357 Vaquero Bird comps for sale,

Found one completed auction on GB , SS/black grip, .357 bird, 200 rds fired, rust specs on cylinder and muzzle wear sold for $625 buy now and blue black bird with a $1000 reserve .
None on GA,

Anybody seen any .357 Birds FS lately as I cant seem to find any.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
The fact that you can't find 357 original Vaq Birdy's for sale doesn't really drive prices up a lot - you can make any Ruger SA into a Birdshead for $150-200. So if you drop $350-400 on a 357 old Vaq, you can strap on a birdy grip frame and be all in for around $600.

Similarly, I don't personally think there will be much change in value for these if Ruger ever brings out a 357mag New Vaquero Birdshead - if someone wants an NV 357 birdy, they can build one today.

P89DC

Single-Sixer
Varminterror said:
...if someone wants an NV 357 birdy, they can build one today.
It'll run you close to $800 for the materials and even more for labor to make a new model version with a 3 3/4" barrel. Not a very good value....

Varminterror

Blackhawk
P89DC said:
Varminterror said:
...if someone wants an NV 357 birdy, they can build one today.
It'll run you close to $800 for the materials and even more for labor to make a new model version with a 3 3/4" barrel. Not a very good value....

Nobody said it had to be a new in box NV, and nobody said it had to be a better value. If you want something rare or custom, you'd be foolish to think that it would come at "factory standard" price.

P89DC

Single-Sixer
Varminterror said:
Nobody said it had to be a new in box NV, and nobody said it had to be a better value. If you want something rare or custom, you'd be foolish to think that it would come at "factory standard" price.
I'm sorry, I said it has to be a good value, otherwise it's not worth it to me. I'm not foolish, just frugal. If you want to make a old model 357 birdshead, have at it. I would just buy used for less money and better fit. Be sure to let us see it when you're finished.