#1A 308's are starting to ship.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rangerbob

Buckeye
My distributor called today and offered me a chance to get the #1A 308( they had 2 come in). I should have it tomorrow. I broke out the Bushnell 3.5 x10X40 3200 I was hoarding for this application and installed a set of #4 rings on it so I can set on the rifle, adjust, and tighten the screws. I hope it has nice wood like my 6.5x55 and 257 Roberts. I suspect that they will be showing up elsewhere as well. If the weather and my health holds. I may be able to shoot it by Sunday. Bob! :D

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
Great news, except I hoped it would take a month in case they sell out too quick! I really need to dig in the safe and post a couple guns for sale as I really want one of these in a bad way!

chet15

Hawkeye
If anybody gets any of these new 1A chamberings, be sure to PM me the sn info for the reference. I don't think any of them will be around long.
Chet15

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
chet15 said:
If anybody gets any of these new 1A chamberings, be sure to PM me the sn info for the reference. I don't think any of them will be around long.
Chet15

Why don't you think they will be around long if I can ask? I saw through Davidson's it will cost me just over $1k with taxes and fees so just looking to figure out how to get one. Hope to list a couple extras this weekend as a fund raising event!

rangerbob

Buckeye
I just checked Williams Shooters Supply in Illinois, they have one 308 #1A in stock and Jerry's Sport Center has 8 listed. It appears that they are trickling out of the factory and I've never seen #1's listed more than a handfull at any given time. I'm fixing to go get mine at UPS. Bob! :)

rangerbob

Buckeye
The #1A has a 22" barrel with iron sights and the Alexander Henry forend. Bob! :wink:

picketpin

Buckeye
Just an "A". Out here they won't sell. Too many 30-06 shooters and no advantage in a #1 from a 30-06 versus 308..

As for why they won't be around long? Ruger has chambered the 308 at least 4 times in the #1. Every time they have been discontinued due to poor sales. Look at the Stainless/laminate "B" 308s on GB at wholesale right now.

My personal speculation is that Ruger has gone from a large number of calibers and configurations in the #1 with the occassional uncataloged short run of something to simply cutting the number and configurations including cartridges and just changeing the catalog every year or so to reflect production. Lots easier to print new catalogs than store a bunch of rifles that haven't sold.

So they make 300-500 in 308 "A"s and when those are actually sold they'll drop it and put something else in it's place.

It won't take long to exhaust the demand for 308 "A"s 2 years at the most. We are talking NEW rifle at or near MSRP. The secondary used market doesn't make Ruger a dime.

Ross

rangerbob

Buckeye
Picketpin, you're probably right, so I got mine while I could. I've never cared for the #1B version, only the A & S models. I'd like to see a #1A in 7mm-08, 338 Federal, or 358 Winchester and a #1S in 8mm RemMag. I suspect that Ruger sells at least one of every other rifle they make for each #1 sold. Most shooters don't know it exist and don't care. Bob! :wink:

picketpin

Buckeye
Bob: No truer words were ever spoken. The #1 in whatever caliber/configuration fill a very very small niche.

I will be interesting if we now see changes in the catalog every couple of years to reflect small runs.

I actually have/built a 8MM Rem Mag #1 "BH" many years ago. Sadly I think it's run it's course and would be AMAZED if it were ever offered.

Ross

I prefer the "S" or "B" with the 26" barrel, increased ballistics and it balances better for "ME" Most of my "hunting" #1s are a cross between a "B" and an "S". "B" configuration, no sights, but with an Alex Henry forearm and barrel band sling attachment.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
Yea, around here you sure never see anybody hunting with a single shot as around here it's bolt actions, lever actions, or pump rifles and some of these fools can empty a gun remarkably fast and not a drop of blood to show for their speedy shooting!

Around here, in Pennsylvania I mean, the biggest critters we have are deer and black bear and I am looking for a lightweight classy gun in 308 for a fun gun to carry for deer. When I hunt bear, I have a really nice thick old swamp I like to hunt and the 12-gauge with 3-inch slugs is my choice for that game. Just hunted the area enough over the years that I learned that bears like to cross that thicket when the hunters show up and any shooting I get will be well inside 100 yards and I am not fond of tracking a bear in thick brush without something like the 12-gauge anyways :wink:

I am going to dig through my safe and post some guns up for sale this weekend to get the money together to get one of these 1A's in 308 as I am committed to the 308 round and I think this 1A would make a good starter gun for my kids to start hunting with too as I can load it with modest charges and bullets for them and with the single shot they will have to learn discipline on just when to take that shot and make it count. I have also always wanted a Model 1, just never really found one I had to have as when I shoot varmints I like a repeater (ever sneak up to a field and pick a varmint off a several stand up - I have!) but very few deer I have shot required more then one shot and the 308 is certainly enough gun for the job.

Anyways, I am anxious to hear a range report. I would be heart broke to want one of these so long and it tends to pattern as opposed to group.

picketpin

Buckeye
Of all the places that a single shot SHOULD be plenty is the hardwoods forests of the East. Dense cover and either still hunting or from a stand waiting for the critter to come into range/field of fire. Given that I just can't understand why the choices seem to be thing you can shoot a bunch of times, fast with.

Out here in the wide open a guy might actually get an aimed second shot but even then not often and if the first shot doesn't do it, subsiquent shots are less and less likely to connect/work.

Oh well.

I've got mine. ;-) Don't need/want a 308 anything other than my HK and Fn FAL so I can spend THAT money on something else. I'm waiting for the last run of 264 Win Mags to hit.

Ross

rangerbob

Buckeye
Picketpin, Ive seen the 264 B listed but haven't seen any in stock. If I do I'll post it. I have one of the Hawkeye 77's in 264. As far as the 308 is concerned, I have a M1A, AR-10 Carbine, Remington 700 Classic, M7, M70 24" Sporter, and a tang safety M77RS. Being retired LE, I often get access to once fired FC 308 brass shot in sniper rifles. I'm what John Barness calls a "churner" and I have a FFL. Bob! :wink:

picketpin

Buckeye
I have a couple of 264s including one of the short run of 77MKi tang safety guns. I built a 264 Win Mag #1 years ago but would get a factory one to replace it and either make the wildcatted one into something else OR maybe just return it to whatever it started life as. I'll have to check my recordrs and see what it was BEFORE it became a 264. Heck, it's a real early 130 serial gun, it might have started life as something "interesting".

I did see a new one on GB last night in the 134 serial range but it had crummy wood. :)

The best

Ross