1962 Deerstalker Rear Site

Help Support Ruger Forum:

XenaRB

Bearcat
I just found this site. Maybe someone has a suggestion for me. I have a 1962 Ruger Deerstalker in .44 magnum. The rear site is missing the elevation adjustment blade and one screw is missing and the other was broken off. Does anybody have a suggestion for perhaps a period replacement or a gunsmith that can fix the site? I've had it for a few weeks and bought it used.
Thanks

hittman

Staff member
Welcome to the forum. (y)

I'm sure others will be along shortly to help you. I don't know but it doesn't seem like a difficult fix.

XenaRB

Bearcat
Thanks for the welcome. I think you may be right about this being a challenging fix. Looking forward to any suggestions. I'm really looking forward to using it with the iron sights.

Air-cooled

Single-Sixer
First thing you need to do is post a pic of the sight that is missing parts. I am fairly well acquainted with Deerstalkers, but I can't really help without a pic, which should not be too much of a problem to post.

XenaRB

Bearcat
FA7CF6EB-93ED-4D4A-A4AF-9D4313464D20.jpeg

Air-cooled

Single-Sixer
It is available with the link above. You can also get the screws to fill in the holes in the barrel.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-13 at 4.26.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-13 at 4.26.48 AM.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 53
  • d.png
    d.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 57

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Not long ago I ordered and received the receiver/ barrel screws and mag spring for my Deerstalker from Numrich. They're a great company to deal with.

JCK

Single-Sixer
That sight is a standard Lyman product and is still in production.
OP needs to measure the height of the sight folded up.
MidwayUSA as well as others carry those as catalog items.

I would have an experienced, qualified person to replace the sight. It's not as easy as it appears.
Numrich is good for some items, but parts and shipping alone will cost more than a complete replacement sight.
Personally, I'd replace the sight and add a suitable receiver sight. I'd love a "Deerslayer" but the last one I saw (day before yesterday) was in distressed condition and asking price was $1,300! I passed!

Last edited:

XenaRB

Bearcat
Thanks for the link JCK. To be clear I will need the total height of the site from the bottom of the base to the very top when it is in its shooting position.

Appreciate the info. I'd probably purchase the lever model next. I have my dad's rotary clip model in .44 mag.

Air-cooled

Single-Sixer
That sight is a standard Lyman product and is still in production.
OP needs to measure the height of the sight folded up.
MidwayUSA as well as others carry those as catalog items.

I would have an experienced, qualified person to replace the sight. It's not as easy as it appears.
Numrich is good for some items, but parts and shipping alone will cost more than a complete replacement sight.
Personally, I'd replace the sight and add a suitable receiver sight. I'd love a "Deerslayer" but the last one I saw (day before yesterday) was in distressed condition and asking price was $1,300! I passed!
All he has to do is buy the Lyman sight for $19.95 and take the central piece off it and screw it into the sight that is already mounted to his gun.

XenaRB

Bearcat
That's what I'd love to do however one of the screws was previously broken off leaving a really tiny piece in the sight. Im guessing it's rusted in place. I think a gunsmith would have to extract the broken off threaded portion by drilling it and running a tap through the hole.

Air-cooled

Single-Sixer
That's what I'd love to do however one of the screws was previously broken off leaving a really tiny piece in the sight. Im guessing it's rusted in place. I think a gunsmith would have to extract the broken off threaded portion by drilling it and running a tap through the hole.
Then just have the gunsmith install the whole new sight. 3 minute job

Reactions: JCK

JCK

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the link JCK. To be clear I will need the total height of the site from the bottom of the base to the very top when it is in its shooting position.

Measure from the barrel. In other words, the blade.
The screws are VERY TINY! Avoid completely removing them unless you are equipped and prepared to deal with them. There's a reason they're gone! Use a proper hollow ground screw driver if loosening them to adjust the blade.

Use a vernier caliper, not a measuring tape! To measure.

Likely, the dovetail (on the sight) will need to be fitted to the barrel. (In other words, honed on an Arkansas stone to fit the dovetail on the barrel.
A hammer and a steel punch are a quick way to destroy the sight and damage the $$$$ rifle barrel. A good gunsmith will charge for 30min to 1hr for the repair.
Well earned pay! I use a brass punch, a 8oz ball peen hammer, and some 320grit wet/dry sand paper.... and cold blue to touch up the bottom of the sight dovetail. Also a little antisieze paste on the sight base...

The base is tapered! Remove to the right. Install, right to left...

Last edited: