1911compact

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1rebel

Bearcat
Any chance ruger might come out with a compact/officers model?
Maybe a lightweight even? :)

dakota1911

Buckeye
Haven't heard anything. Of course the latest is the 5 inch rail gun they came out with.

s4s4u

Hunter
I thought they might be headed in that direction when they came out with the lightweight model. It wouldn't be that much of a change to take 1/2" off the bottom of the handle and keep the commander length barrel/slide.

1rebel

Bearcat
I'm sorry I should've been more clear I would like to see a lightweight officers model

s4s4u

Hunter
The CCO has a 4-1/4" barrel and officer (compact) frame. I wouldn't want any shorter of barrel on a 1911 pistol.

loaded round

Hunter
I can't see it the foreseen future since Ruger has running at full capacity manufacturing the various 1911 models now. However, no one can ever outguess Ruger. I'd like to see one also.

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
1rebel said:
Any chance ruger might come out with a compact/officers model?
Maybe a lightweight even? :)

1rebel ... If Ruger comes out some day with an 3" barrel LW 1911 compact (doubt they will), I'd be interested :D.

COLT_45

Single-Sixer
I opted for the all Stainless Steel CMD. Just not crazy about aluminum framed 1911's, but would consider one if a compact officer's model came out. Maybe the LWT CMD coming out is a sign of a smaller compact 1911 which might be on the R & D drafting boards. When I looked at the CMD's, ( which I prefer over the regular SR1911 due to balance and the like ), I wondered about the titanium feed ramp insert on the LTW and how was it exactly installed to adhere to the aluminum frame. A great idea I'll admit, but what about the rails and other internal parts. I would think they are more subject to wearing as well on the LTW aluminum frame model versus the stainless steel CMD model, especially with a lot of use and range time. Now if a compact officer's model were to ever come out, then the use of a aluminum frame would make much more sense. Not knocking the current LTW, but when it comes to a 1911 give me steel. Yes, I realize it's a cast steel frame and not forged like some, but Ruger is clearly number one in their casting technology and is tour proven in that department. Over the years one must admit to hearing various problems with other aluminum framed 1911's and I guess it spooked me, maybe only use and time will tell.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
The shorter the barrel in a 1911 the harder the manufacturers have to work to get it to cycle properly. Commander is the shortest I would go.

bigbore45colt

Hunter
I know that Ruger has been experimenting with different calibers, barrel lengths, sights, etc... They are indeed pretty full in Prescott but they aren't done expanding their SR1911 line...

BB45C

Let's see if we can clear this up a bit with pics.

First pic is comparing a Ruger CMD with 4 1/4" barrel to a Colt CCO Gunsite with 4 1/4" barrel and Officers grip frame. Same barrel length, different grip length.

Next is the same Colt CCO LW 45 ACP with a Springfield LW Compact 9mm. The difference here being that the Colt has the 4 1/4" barrel and the Springfield has a 4" Bull barrel. Grip lengths are identical. The Colt and Springfield are my favorite configurations for conceal carry 1911's because of weight and grip length. For deep carry I like 'em all! :D I would welcome a Ruger CCO LWT. :D

Hope this helps.......

Dave :D

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
TELL MIKE FIFER :!: ...........HE DOES NOT REPLY TO MY REQUESTS AND QUESTIONS(SHAME ON YOU, MIKE) :roll: BUT MAY TO YOURS(GOOD LUCK)............WOULD APPRECIATE THE COMMON COURTESIES, MR FIFER..WHAT ABOUT THE DEMISE OF THE SERIAL NUMBER SUBSCRIPTION PGM?......YES'M I HI-JACKED THIS POST AND STILL LIKE THE IDEA OF A SMALL FRAMED SHORT BARRELED ACP...........HAVE AT IT FROM............... all points of the compass :wink:

Ruger's R&D division must be working O/T to try to keep up with market demands and user wish lists. Just wish they would remember to keep tabs on quality. Make sure it's right before marketing the compact. Just sayin....

Dave

Heliman said:
Ruger's R&D division must be working O/T to try to keep up with market demands and user wish lists. Just wish they would remember to keep tabs on quality. Make sure it's right before marketing the compact. Just sayin....

Dave

Couldn't be worse than the last few Kimbers I've seen...

Mike J

Hunter
If they were to add anything smaller than what they offer now I would expect it to be a CCO model before anything else. It only makes sense due to the fact they already make commander length slides. All they would have to do would be make some different frames.

Jim Puke

Hunter
If Rock Island can make a compact work flawlessly, certainly Ruger can.

I have never had a compact that gave feeding trouble...Colt Defender and Kimber UC ll...have worked without issue.

Jim Luke said:
If Rock Island can make a compact work flawlessly, certainly Ruger can.

I have never had a compact that gave feeding trouble...Colt Defender and Kimber UC ll...have worked without issue.

Had 2 Rock Island Sub Compact Tactical. 9mm. 1911s had to send both back. They came back, fixed 6 months later after getting "lost" in service. One accidentally got shipped back to a different customer. They got it back and sent it to me. Delivered both directly to my door. Found both waiting on my porch when I got home after work.

I promptly sold both guns as used at our local gun shop.

Never again.