1911 gas...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dakotacaller

Bearcat
I have always loved 1911's. I like traditional things, lever action rifles, revolvers, Gibson guitars and a good cabless tractor. The 1911 is just so sexy.

I have managed to hold off getting one for quite a while because the cost of ammo was a deal breaker. We constantly see $0.45-$0.60 per round for no name FMJ so I have stuck with 9mm at ½-⅓ the cost. Now I found a place that gets very affordable .45 that is only slightly more than 9mm... my one excuse to not get a 1911 is fading... damn.

s4s4u

Hunter
IDK, there is just something sweet about the sound of Uncle Ted's Gibson Byrdland

s4s4u

Hunter
It pays to handload 45 ACP, but you can buy factory 9's for about the same price as the components these days.

dakotacaller

Bearcat
pruger45 said:
I prefer the sound of a vintage Fender Stratocaster!

Blasphemy! Haha no a strat is a great guitar for sure. I grew up a les paul player and therefore find my comfort level is highest there. I have a nice strat that I do enjoy playing though.

s4s4u said:
IDK, there is just something sweet about the sound of Uncle Ted's Gibson Byrdland

Hell yeah! A Byrdland is one classy guitar but the price of them pushes it way out of feasibility for me.

s4s4u said:
It pays to handload 45 ACP, but you can buy factory 9's for about the same price as the components these days.

Yeah, I have thought about getting a reloaded at some point for multiple calibers but I don't have a spot for it yet. I found a place that has .45 for $0.26/round. I am not sure what reloading can get down to but that is much more palatable for me.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I reload for .45. If I choose to shoot lead, I can load a box of 50 for a little over $6. Takes me less than a half an hour. If I wanted to go through the hassle of casting, I could reduce that even more.

Using coated bullets, the price goes up to about $8.

That's about half of what I can get factory ammo for locally.

I can still load 9mm a couple bucks less than factory. Whether it's worth the effort is another question, but there is no question it's cheaper. Now, if you buy small bags/boxes of FMJ bullets at the LGS, then you care likely to spend more on your handloads. You have to order bullets in quantity, and it helps to stick with cast, coated or plated.

DGW1949

Hunter
dakotacaller said:

....Yeah, I have thought about getting a reloaded at some point for multiple calibers but I don't have a spot for it yet. I found a place that has .45 for $0.26/round. I am not sure what reloading can get down to but that is much more palatable for me.

As an apples to apples comparison, or in this case, FMJ loads to FMJ loads:

I haven't put a pencil to it lately but the last time I was comparing what I could buy factory 9MM/115-FMJ loads for to what it would cost me to produce them myself, the bottom line meant that I would have been working for about a dollar an hour while sitting at my press...and even less if I wanted to duplicate NATO-Spec 124-FMJ loads.

.45ACP?...yes, the difference there has always been more pronounced...but considering that I can presently buy factory 230-FMJ's for .26 per round these days (and have), I'd have to run up on a heck of a deal on bullets, powder and primers to make "rolling my own" worth my while. Point there being that unlike ammo prices, I haven't noticed powder and component prices drop any.

Like I said though, that's apples to apples, and everybody knows that bananas are cheaper...so I guess what it comes down to is what kind of pie you want. :lol: .

DGW

lostdog

Bearcat
As for reloading 9mm 124 fmj it cost me a little less than $6.00 per 50. Where I work new 9mm goes for $13.99 per box. W231 goes a long way, brass is reusable,but if you only shoot up a box per month it"s not worth buying all the reloading equipment ......

bayou5252

Single-Sixer
Just FYI to the OP as to the cost of reloading 45 acp:

Here's a quick and dirty itemization of my cost of reloading each 45 acp 230 grain RN:

1. Cost of each charge of powder (700-X): $0.013
2. Cost per primer: $0.033
3. Cost per plated projectile (I don't cast): $0.12
4. Cost per brass case: $0.00 (all range pick-ups)

Total out of pocket cost per round: $0.166

Hope this helps -

Bayou52

dakotacaller

Bearcat
s4s4u said:
I can presently buy factory 230-FMJ's for .26 per round these days

Where do you get 45's for $26/100? Best I can do is about half again more.

I am not sure if it is ok to post specific websites but if it is, I go through target sports usa. They have the best prices I have seen on almost any ammo and it is all free shipping when you buy 1,000+ which isn't tough to do if you shoot enough. They have 9mm in brass for 20¢/round and 45 for 26¢/round.

bayou5252 said:
Just FYI to the OP as to the cost of reloading 45 acp:

Here's a quick and dirty itemization of my cost of reloading each 45 acp 230 grain RN:

1. Cost of each charge of powder (700-X): $0.013
2. Cost per primer: $0.033
3. Cost per plated projectile (I don't cast): $0.12
4. Cost per brass case: $0.00 (all range pick-ups)

Total out of pocket cost per round: $0.166

Hope this helps -

Bayou52

Thanks for the run down! I think reloading would be pretty fun to get into at some point, i have helped others reload at times but not on my own.

revhigh

Hawkeye
I can't believe this discussion is based purely on cost.

What about the fact that I can load target match ammo for the same or less money than the garbage Winchester white box that you buy at Walmart that can barely hit a Coke can at 15 yards.

To me, I need far more than a bang out of a bullet ... I need accuracy that I can trust, and you can't get that in factory ammo at $.26 per round.

I can make match grade ammo in 45 caliber caliber for about $6 to 650 per box so there's far more involved and far more benefits in reloading then there is in just having a bullet go bang for 26 cents

9's cost me about $4.50 per box reloaded and the result is accuracy that can't be hoped for out of garbage $10 a box WWB or Silver Bear or some other crap ammo.

REV

eveled

Hawkeye
I'm left trying to figure out why the OP, never bought a 9mm 1911.

dakotacaller

Bearcat
eveled said:
I'm left trying to figure out why the OP, never bought a 9mm 1911.

I have been tempted a lot but the circle I am around has deemed it sacrilegious to get a 1911 in anything but .45. I know I know... silly.

dakotacaller

Bearcat
SR1911SHOOTER said:
dakotacaller,
No offense but you need a new circle.
Blackie

I have a 2 step plan for that.

1. Join ruger forum.
2. Buy 9mm 1911

Actually I can't completely blame others. I have a P226 that is my darling and I have enough guns on the wishlist that I think I would want something in a different caliber than 9mm. There is just no denying the sexiness of the 1911 and to me, they just feel so comfortable.

I hope I didn't hit a nerve with anyone with any other comments.