1903 Springfield Cal .22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hugh

Buckeye
While prowling a pawn shop that I frequent, I saw something that I was aware of but had never seen. A 1903 Springfield, Cal .22 training rifle. It had the original wood but had been sporterized. Small Lyman peep sight rather than the larger one we are all familiar with. Also the hammer was not what you'd expect on the Springfield, but rather one for rimfire ammunition.

I really enjoy the 1903, my dad had one, which was his only high power until the late 1950's. His was sporterized. Had one myself at one time but sacrificed it for another rifle. Now my real high power is a Remington 1917.

Back to the point. This 1903 is in great shape, bad news $999.00. I don't believe I'd buy a 1903 .22 trainer at this point in my life, in any case. But, I don't believe they are all that common. If anybody is interested in one of these beauties, it is at Sportsman's Pawn, at about 7000 South Redwood Road, West Jordan, Utah.

RugerHound

Hunter
I've never bought anything from a pawn shop at the listed price! They're usually willing to deal, depending on how long the item has been in their inventory. Never know if you don't haggle with 'em! :)

Hugh

Buckeye
Skalkaho Slim said:
Used to shoot one of those when I was on the rifle team on college. Had our very own indoor range.

Strongly doubt there's such a thing anymore. :(

Yep, it's the real deal. Just not on my agenda. For any collectors, too bad it's been sporterized. That's why I gave the location.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Are you sure it's been "sporterized"? Most (if not all) of them came in cut-down stocks that looked likes "sporters" of the day, not in full-wood military-type stocks.

IMG_0819-1.jpg

Hugh

Buckeye
Snake45 said:
Are you sure it's been "sporterized"? Most (if not all) of them came in cut-down stocks that looked likes "sporters" of the day, not in full-wood military-type stocks.

IMG_0819-1.jpg

That's what I was looking at Snake. Didn't know that's how they came. Very nice rifle.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Hugh said:
Snake45 said:

IMG_0819-1.jpg

That's what I was looking at Snake. Didn't know that's how they came. Very nice rifle.

That $999.00 price is actually pretty good. If the pawn shop is willing to deal someone could get a great bargain. I have an NRA Sporter in 30.06, made in Oct 1928 and bought by my Grandfather through DCM in May 1929 - unfortunately about 1935 or so he had a G & H side mount attached so value has been diminished, but with a period correct Weaver it still looks and shoots great.

Latest posts