10-22 Magazine release

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Is anyone else here "disappointed" in the new magazine release on the 10-22?

I just got one today to use for Appleseed (ordered the Tech sight to go with it) and find it at least disconcerting. I think I'll call Ruger and see if they have the "old" style in stock (or at least available) and change it out.

I found that if you pry at the top/front of the magazine as you push the release, it comes out fairly easily. But then again I never had a problem with the "old" style.

I guess I'm just too picky. :roll:

9x19

Hunter
I've had no issues with the new style release causing the magazine to hang up. I just push forward on the release and the mag drops out... perhaps your release has a burr? I've also seen some of the synthetic stocks with under-sized/poorly shaped magazine wells and those can cause the magazine to hang up. While you have the action out of the stock try a mag and see if it still hangs up.

The new style release closely resembles the Eagle and Ram-Line after-market releases, and I have been using them for a long time as well. The original release never worked well for me with gloves on.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Post a request for the old style in Classified, got to be thousands of them guys will next to give away.

98_1LE

Single-Sixer
I was hesitant, but the Kidd extended mag release, the one that goes under the trigger, works awesome! I updated my other 10/22 with one.

ErikO

Bearcat
98_1LE said:
I was hesitant, but the Kidd extended mag release, the one that goes under the trigger, works awesome! I updated my other 10/22 with one.

This is a planned part of the Liberty rifle build I'm doing after the AR pistol is 100% completed. Kidd can become addictive from what other 10/22 wrenchers have told me. Their stuff is top notch.

96/44

Blackhawk
I love the new mag release. I find it way easier to manipulate than the original style, and I think the Kidd unit is too akward. Mine drops the mag free every time.

Precision32

Blackhawk
If your mags are not dropping free it's your stock. Lightly sand the sides of the mag well until the mags drop free.

The best release I have found is the Christie & Christie. It's only about $7. Gives you plenty of room to work the bolt hold open. I find mag changes are faster with it that the 'level action' style. YRMV

You need to mark your two mags for an Appleseed project so you can tell the difference between the one with 2 rounds in it and the one with 8.

I agree, it is most likely the mag well not the release.

Ladobe

Single-Sixer
Know not what the "new" relese is. I did "relieve" stock mag wells (and barrel channels) though as a matter of course up front when I bought a 10/22, but still didn't like the factory releases. So one of the mods done to every 10/22 I've owned was an aftermarket mag release.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
blume357 said:
I agree, it is most likely the mag well not the release.
One of my problems is that sometimes it just drops free and sometimes it has to be "wiggled" to get it out, and I'm using the same mag each time.

I'm also having the devils own time getting the front sight drifted out. I made sure to follow the directions of "Left to Right" but I have hit it more than twenty times (with the recommended brass punch) and it has moved less than a 1/16". Oh well, I'll just keep trying. Oh, I also am using a pine 2x4 to support the sight band, so the rifle and/or barrel do not absorb the impact. Sigh.

Update: Some WD-40 soaking for three hours and still had to beat the (delete your favorite expletive from here) out of it. Did manage to get it off, cleaned up the WD-40 with Hoppe's #9, twice, and got the new sight on. Now to the range!

'nuther Update: After inserting and removing the magazine about fifty or sixty times it has freed up. It now comes out much easier.

Also added a Volquartsen bolt release. Hard to get the bolt closed . . . . unless . . . you have the magazine inserted. Then it works fine. I think I'll modify the Ruger part to look like the Volq. part. Nice feature.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
blume357 said:
You need to mark your two mags for an Appleseed project so you can tell the difference between the one with 2 rounds in it and the one with 8.
I presume that is to accommodate the H.P. Rifle sequenced to the Garand M1 (8 round enblock). If so, since the H.P. Rifle competitions use the command of "with two or five, load", why not just load two 10/22 magazines with five? That way you do not give a rusty rip which one you grab first (or second).