10/22 Extraction problem - after market barrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

scary

Bearcat
A friend of mine brought me his 10/22 that had been recently replaced with a heavy barrel. The extractor does not grab the case rim and just rides over it. It appears to be a problem with the extractor groove on the chamber end of barrel. Almost as though it's not cut deep enough or at the right angle or something.

This would seem to be a common problem with all of the aftermarket barrels floating around.

Any suggestions on a fix?

contender

Ruger Guru
I installed a Butler Creek heavy bbl on one of my 10/22's years ago. No issues. I have added several others for friends, and again, no issues. The biggest thing I've found it the alignment of the bbl to allow the extractor to work properly.
Sometimes, a little tiny turn makes all the difference.
However, it is possible to get one that's off a bit. Since the groove is there just to allow the clearance of the extractor claw, a CAREFUL working of that groove with a dremel & a dental bit cutter can relieve the issue. Go slowly, check often, and make sure of the alignment.

scary

Bearcat
contender said:
a CAREFUL working of that groove with a dremel & a dental bit cutter can relieve the issue. Go slowly, check often, and make sure of the alignment.

If it was my gun... I might try that... but I'm going to give it back to him and advise him to take it to a gunsmith for the grinding. I've already broken two Swiss Army nail files on my Vaquero's front sight so it looks like a trip to Wal-Mart again tomorrow. :oops:

Heywatchthis

Bearcat
The new barrel probably has a tight chamber which would be desirable. But if the bullet is now engraving with the rifling, the stock extractor may not be able to pull a cartridge back out of the chamber and simply passes over the rim.
A recontoured extractor with a stronger spring might fix the issue.
All of my aftermarket barrels with a tighter chamber will do this.