10-22 dry fire

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake45

Hawkeye
mikld said:
I can full understand why a gun owner would double check anything, any practice that might do harm to his gun, and coming to a forum entitled "Ruger Rimfires", he might get an honest answer, rather than an azz chewing. Had he known the reaction to his question by the forum gurus, I'm sure he would have gone to RimfireCentral...
You missed the point completely, which was, if he didn't believe the Appleseed guys on the topic, why on earth would he believe anybody here? :? :? :? :?

I think he wanted someone to tell him that he was right and the Appleseed guys were wrong, that you should never, never, never dry-fire your 10/22, it can ruin it, etc. Then he'd have been happy!

BTW, page 22 of the current 10/22 manual, which can be viewed by anyone online, free, says "The rifle can be 'dry fired' for practice as long as it is empty and pointed in a safe direction." So there you have it. :wink:

bobster

Bearcat
Some people just have to get the last word in. Usually because they don't know what they are talking about.

Kyberz

Bearcat
Snake45 said:
mikld said:
I can full understand why a gun owner would double check anything, any practice that might do harm to his gun, and coming to a forum entitled "Ruger Rimfires", he might get an honest answer, rather than an azz chewing. Had he known the reaction to his question by the forum gurus, I'm sure he would have gone to RimfireCentral...
You missed the point completely, which was, if he didn't believe the Appleseed guys on the topic, why on earth would he believe anybody here? :? :? :? :?

I think he wanted someone to tell him that he was right and the Appleseed guys were wrong, that you should never, never, never dry-fire your 10/22, it can ruin it, etc. Then he'd have been happy!

BTW, page 22 of the current 10/22 manual, which can be viewed by anyone online, free, says "The rifle can be 'dry fired' for practice as long as it is empty and pointed in a safe direction." So there you have it. :wink:

Smokndav asked an honest question and I'm sure he expected honest informative responses/opinions. Not smug condescending ones. Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer. In other words, I suggest you look up the words tact and decorum.

mikld

Blackhawk
When you say you "think" you know what he meant/wanted and not what he asked you made a huge assumption. A giant leap to a WAG. And you know what they say about one that assumes...

Precision32

Blackhawk
smokndav said:
Just being me, I questioned this for the obvious reasons (to me) They assured me and everyone that it would not harm the 10-22 and that they had checked with Ruger to confirm this. I opted not to dry fire mine (SR22) so they brought me a loaner to use for the exercise.
Thoughts on this please.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I believe Kyberz post was directed at me. Could be wrong, that has happened before.

I don't see smokndav's "obvious reasons" for questioning the Appleseed Instructor, other than the fact he did not believe the Instructor was being truthful about dry firing and having checked with Ruger. He was more than willing to run the rifle of someone else, but not his?

Kyberz said:
Smokndav asked an honest question and I'm sure he expected honest informative responses/opinions.

He got "honest informative responses," it was the opinions he did not like. He may not have meant it as calling the AS Instructor a lyre, but that was how it was taken. How else could it be taken?

Now, tell me about "tact and decorum" please. :?

Snake45

Hawkeye
Precision32 said:
He may not have meant it as calling the AS Instructor a lyre, but that was how it was taken. How else could it be taken?
That's the way I took it. It was pretty clear. :wink:

New member here. Hello everyone!

I have been an observer of this forum for some time now. I have found it to be very informative to learn about Ruger products. I also go to Rimfire Central as well as Rugerforum.net. I have seen posts like this one here before. It is sad to see this thread. Those that have taken what appear to be shots at others on this thread when someone was only trying to learn and get assistance does not speak well for this forum. The knowledge of the members of this forum has impressed me for a long time. I do not wish to rankle anyone's feathers, but I hope if I have a request for assistance it does not receive the type response this gentleman has received. My knowledge of guns is greatly lacking---that is why I am on these sites trying to learn. If I get responses like some of those on this thread, my membership participation on this forumwill be shortlived. I hope to be a member for a long time. You guys are extremely knowledgable about Ruger and I hope to learn from you. Again, I don't wish to offend anyone with anything I have said, but the folks on this forum are better than what is represented by some comments made on this thread. I know----I have been reading this forum for a while. :)

I would say you are correct. In general the people on this forum are gracious in sharing their kmowledge. Even people in this thread. Speaking personally I have been in bad moods before and this shows in my posts if I am on the forum at the time. I too came here originally looking for information about a new purchase (GP100) and since then, mostly because of this forum 8 of the last 10 guns i have bought have been Rugers.

Welcome to the forum and stick around. I think you will learn something and I also think this thread is an exception.

Precision32

Blackhawk
The OP would have gotten the same response on RFC as he got here. I post there all the time and there have been several heated debates on various subjects. You don't even want to ask which way the hammer strut "C" clip goes on a 10-22. I teach people how to fix their firearms, not just how to buy parts from the sponsors. That wizzes some people off.

IMHO, the question should have been asked "Is it OK to dry fire a 10-22?" He could have asked the question with out even mentioning Appleseed. He would have gotten an informative and polite answer. It was his implying that the AS Instructor for some reason lied to him that brought on the negative responses on my part.

I've been instructing with Project Appleseed for over four years now. These people, who give of their time for nothing but the satisfaction of seeing their fellow Americans learn how to shoot and learn of the true events of April 19, 1775, are closer to me that some members of my family. I know for fact that if the SHTF, these same people would be there covering my back, as I would theirs. So yes, I take offense when someone challenges their integrity. If you have not gone to a Project Appleseed event, find an one in your neighborhood and see for yourself.

You'll always get a polite and hopefully a helpful response from me, just don't frame your question with an attack on the integrity of others. I really don't think that's asking too much.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Precision32 said:
IMHO, the question should have been asked "Is it OK to dry fire a 10-22?" He could have asked the question with out even mentioning Appleseed. He would have gotten an informative and polite answer. It was his implying that the AS Instructor for some reason lied to him that brought on the negative responses on my part.
EXACTLY so! It was a legitimate question and deserved an honest answer. But the OP as much as said that he didn't believe the (correct) answer he already had to the question. That was the source of whatever "problem" there was in this thread. :wink:

Precision32 and Snake45, I understand your points you have made. If I ever have a question, rest assured it will always be framed in a polite manner, it's the way I was brought up. Perhaps the OP could have framed his question in a different manner. I look forward to learning from all on the forum. As I earlier said, my gun knowledge is not what I would like it to be. I am impressed with the experience of others on this forum as well as other forums. Precision32, I appreciate you taking the time to teach others on your own time as part of that Appleseed program---I realize it takes time from your own family to do so. Ya'll have a great day.... :)

Precision32

Blackhawk
rodsanlsutigerfan said:
Precision32, I appreciate you taking the time to teach others on your own time as part of that Appleseed program---I realize it takes time from your own family to do so. Ya'll have a great day.... :)

Find a Project Appleseed event near you and GO. You'll learn how to make shots out to 500 yards using a service grade rifle and surplus ammo.

Most of the training is done at 25 meters using 22s. Distance is simulated by using reduced targets. We teach you to shoot standing, 3 setting positions and prone; the 6 steps of making the shot, how to calculate where your groups are and how to adjust the sights to make your rifle hit where you point it.

You'll also learn about the true events of April 19, 1775, the day of "The Shot Heard Around the World" and the heritage of marksmanship in the founding of this nation.

Go to www.appleseedUS.org to learn more.

smokndav

Bearcat
looking back at all this, you are correct that I should have ask if it was ok to dry fire a 10/22, period. I tried my best to explain that I was not calling anyone a lier, just trying to get information as to which was correct. You ask why I ask the question to this forum. It says at the top of the page, Rugerforum.com. I figured that was the place to get an answer and never thought twice about telling the whole story. I could care less if I am right or wrong, just want an answer from the socalled experts, which I am not. As I said several times, I do not take everything I am told or everything I read as gospel. Just following up trying to get the facts, not some smart ass response. Some on this thread understand and some do not. Thanks to those that do.

Fox Mike said:
To answer your question go to this site and then scroll to page 17. https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/1022.pdf

Correct. Ruger would be the right and logical place to go, not RugerForum or any other for that matter.

JMO and I'm sticking to it...... :wink:

Dennis.

Ol'Freak

Bearcat
If you push on the back end of the firing pin, same spot the hammer smacks, until its forward travel ceases from having bumped against the firing pin stop pin then you could observe that the firing pin tip cannot protrude beyond the bolt face, unless something's really wrong needing fixing.

smokndav

Bearcat
Sgt Garcia said:
Fox Mike said:
To answer your question go to this site and then scroll to page 17. https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/1022.pdf

Correct. Ruger would be the right and logical place to go, not RugerForum or any other for that matter.

JMO and I'm sticking to it...... :wink:

Dennis.

I did eventually go to Ruger and they did confirm that it is ok to dry fire a 10/22. The instructors were right and now I don't flinch every time I accidentally dry fire my 10/22.I am not devastated that I was wrong but actually glad to find the correct info from the experts (Ruger)
Ain't it wonderful when we learn something. Should have went with Ruger and avoided this forum and all that has transpired. Again, thanks to all that saw that I was just trying to get the correct info.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Just out of curiosity, smokndav, did the Appleseed instructors tell you anything else that you didn't believe or disagreed with? Not trying to start a fight, I'm genuinely interested in the answer. :? :? :?