Information on gun in Classifieds

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jgt

Buckeye
I am far from being or claiming to be an expert on Rugers, but an ad in the "classifieds" section raised red flags in my mind and I would like to know what the experts here say. The ad was for a stainless 44 special Vaquero. The seller described the item as "oddity" and made from "leftover frames" marked like the original large frame vaqueros instead of being marked "New Vaquero".
When Ruger came out with the long asked for Blackhawks and Vaqueros in 44 special guns, They said the Vaquero was marked "Vaquero" because there was no 44 special caliber Vaqueros in the first iteration. So, these were not a new model of an old design, they were the first model issued in 44 special.
So am I misinformed? or is the seller in the classified ad misinformed? To be left over frames they would have to be the larger model frames of the Vaquero model first issued in 357 magnum,44magnum, or 45 colt right? Has there ever been a 44 special Vaquero marked "New Vaquero"?

hittman

Staff member
I think Chet15 is probably the authority on your questions.

I'm not a big single action guy but do seem to remember something about Ruger marking some with Vaquero-only; even after the New Vaquero roll mark was being used.

Either way, in this case the title of his ad does say New Vaquero and "custom".

chet15

Hawkeye
I would need to look through my past notes, but honestly, I don't think Ruger marked the frames correctly, but the error was never fixed throughout the New Vaquero .44 special production.
All small size New Vaquero frames should have been marked New Vaquero.
No 510- prefix New Vaquero should have a rollmark on it that only says Vaquero, because all 510- guns are small frames. .44 Specials were especially made on the new Vaquero frame.
Large frame Vaqueros are still being made but they have a 59- prefix.
Chet15

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
You may be talking about one of these.
Older picture and a little hard to read so squint.

413739980.jpg

On the other side you can plainly see the 3 digit prefix.

413739978.jpg

I don't think they were leftover frames as stated. I think they just had not figured out how to mark them . I believe these were the first mid-frame made so they were still figuring it out.
The theory , as I heard it , was New model , old Model relates to transfer bars , Period , not frame size. There never was an old model Vaquero so there is no NEW model Vaquero. The other Mid Frames said New Model Blackhawk because they had transfer bars.
The plastic grips shown with the cast in eagle are the correct grips sold with the gun and they made some in stainless and some blue.
I guess they were not selling well as I got this one being clearanced out by Buds but they had been a Lipsey's offering .

Hondo44

Hawkeye
There was no mistake except by the seller, it only appears to be, to those unfamiliar with Ruger's model naming logic. Calling Ruger cust svc will get you different answers because they are not trained to answer collector questions about company practices/protocols.

If you search there's numerous posts on this issue although riddled with speculation, opinion (both informed and uninformed), and denial, but including the real story.

jgt,

You are exactly right! You know the real story.

Some do not realize though that Ruger terminology is specific, not generic, so "New Model" only refers to their guns that existed before transfer bars, which were changed by the addition of the transfer bar making them a new version of the old gun or a NEW MODEL.

We know there are no "Old Model" (pre transfer bar) Vaqueros, they were only made in the transfer bar era. So since there are no Old Model Vaqueros, you can't have a New Model of something that didn't exist before w/o a transfer bar.

That's why original Vaqueros are just that: Vaqueros. In 2005 Ruger made Vaqueros in a mid frame size, it's not a new size, but with a new feature, the chamber alignment system so they are NEW VAQUEROS since they existed as Vaqueros in the same calibers.

But the 44 Spl Vaquero did not exist as an original "Vaquero" so it's not a New Vaquero, it was only introduced originally with the chamber alignment system, so once again, there's no old version and that makes it just a VAQUERO. And it was introduced some years after the first New Vaqueros in the more popular calibers.

The more recently re-introduced large frame 44 Mag now has the chamber alignment system, therefore it's a NEW VAQUERO and with only a 2 digit pre fix # to the serial #. So the serial # prefix's number of digits does denote the frame size, the model name does not.

Another .44 Spl "Vaquero" with Flat Top Blackhawk hammer (large base and narrow shank) on 3 ¾" Sheriff Model. Also has Colt ejector, Belt Mtn Colt-style base pin. Ugly web behind trigger radiused. Replacement Ivory grips and lock elimination so any flat backed grips can be used.

orig.jpg