HEADS UP- Old Vaqueros on Gallery of Guns

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Be interesting if these have been sitting, made from parts or using new parts with different rollmark locations.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Well that's interesting.

I had been thinking of building a BH gun. Couldn't decide on converting a .44 Lipsey's vs. a .45 Colt Vaq. Hmm...

-- Sam

Rainman

Blackhawk
andyo5:

Here's the link. You may be right about the Vaquero / New Vaquero. Yesterday they also had 44 mag stainless Bisley Vaqueros as well so I know those were original models. Chet15 or somebody more knowledgeable than me can tell if Ruger is now offering New Model birds heads.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/defa ... =BNVBH-453

It shows they have 26 left. Also one of our members is selling the same guns (original Vaqueros) in the Classifieds here at a better price delivered.

dan

(No dog in this fight. Just giving folks a head's up on a discontinued model.)

chet15

Hawkeye
Whoever gets any of these, please send a PM to chet15 or email [email protected]
I assume these are more cleanup guns (with rollmark on bottom of barrel), but don't know that yet.
You guys have an opportunity to buy some rare guns....lets make them more desireable by getting them documented in the Ruger references!!
They won't increase in value if nobody knows about them.
Chet15

conder0289

Single-Sixer
If you go to this link

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/defa ... =BNVBH-453

You will see the Birds Head in question, now copy and paste BNVBH-453 and Google it.

The first and second links on the page will take you to Ruger's Site and precisely to the page for this gun....

Normally, with a discontinued Ruger Model, you won't and will not find any information about it through a normal product search of their site but most early stuff is still available if you know how to find it...

If you click on the Instruction Manual tab you will notice that is says that this model is discontinued, as is the case with the Single Six SS 32 Magnum Birds Head Model, but many of these also appeared on Davidson's recently (Rollmarked on the underside of the barrel)

It is impossible to tell if these Vaquero's are clean up's because these sites use Stock Images on New Guns and this one is in fact from Ruger's site and only shows the right hand side.

The only possible way to find out for sure is to contact the distributor (?) and ask about the barrel markings... As I am sure the local dealer that would accept shipment for a purchase would not have any clue about this or that there was any difference at all....

Terry T

Buckeye
Ordered mine yesterday - should be in the local shop by Friday. I'll let you know about barrel markings and ser. no.
Terry T

princeout

Blackhawk
Ordered mine from my favorite local spot - Tomball Pawn in Tomball, TX - on Friday evening. Arrived today and I picked it up after work. Large frame Vaquero (not New Vaquero) with the barrel surgeon general's warning on the bottom of the barrel. Very nice! Best part was Friday I was quoted $519.95 and when I picked it up today he said it was going to be $499.95 instead! The store has one more 'cause he went ahead and ordered consecutive serial numbers in case I wanted two. Love to have two, but after a week of buying batteries for two diesel vehicles, tires for another vehicle and a multitude of other surprises, I had to say no.
Tim

chet15

Hawkeye
princeout tells me these are "cleanup" guns. Warning rollmark on bottom of barrel. Production now in the 58-99xxx range.
Old Style Vaqueros with the rollmark on te bottom of the barrel should prove to be among the most collectible.
Now I wonder how many different models Ruger has put out in that 3,000+ gun production. We know about the earliest .357's and the four .44 models, and a BNVBH-453, but what else is out there???
58-96020 is the earliest of the "cleanup" Vaqueros I know of.
Chet15

Terry T

Buckeye
Mine came into my dealer yesterday. I guess I got too excited about it - the State says I have to leave it at the dealer for 10 days and 'cool off'. :shock:

Ser. No. 58-99085
SNVBH-456, model no. 00511, 45 Colt.
Spent shell date: 09-14-2009
Color Case, Vaquero (not NEW Vaquero).
Warning on the underside of the barrel.

So -- what do we say? 1 of 40? :D Chet?

Terry T

Terry T

Buckeye
Picked up the 'clean up' Bird's Head today.
Couple of more points:

'Warning' has the Southport, Conn, USA address on it. (My earlier standard Vaquaro has no city on the 'warning'.)

Plastic box has the new logo with just the 'R' and not the intertwined 'S' & 'R'. Mold date in the box is 8/09.

Grip medallions have the old style logo with the intertwined 'S' & 'R'.

Frame is the now discontinued 'Color Case Hardening' (CCH) finish.

Do we agree that the production total of these clean up Bird's Head (old) Vaqueros is no more than 40? :D
Thoughts anyone?
Terry T

chet15

Hawkeye
Terry T":19p4s9v3 said:
Mine came into my dealer yesterday. I guess I got too excited about it - the State says I have to leave it at the dealer for 10 days and 'cool off'. :shock:

Ser. No. 58-99085
SNVBH-456, model no. 00511, 45 Colt.
Spent shell date: 09-14-2009
Color Case, Vaquero (not NEW Vaquero).
Warning on the underside of the barrel.

So -- what do we say? 1 of 40? :D Chet?

Terry T

Terry:
Sorry for the long delay there.
SNVBH-456? Really? If so, Ruger really messed up there! The Ruger model 511 is a BNVBH-453. Your gun does have a 3-3/4" barrel on it doesn't it? If not, a 6-1/2" would be quite the gun!!!
Yes, 40 would be a pretty reasonable guess (were all of these blue/CCH??)...probably no more than that, that is until the next round of cleanup guns gets shipped. Really, it is kind of surprising that Ruger has had 3,000 sets of old Vaquero parts laying around there since 2004...like, why not get them out of inventory then.
Anybody get any sn info off the .44 Mag. Bisley Vaquero's? Were those two guns blue or stainless?
Chet15