OM Blackhawk cylinder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

zacharoo

Bearcat
Can a cylinder for an old model blackhawk(45 ACP) be made to fit a new model blackhawk? I have a good deal working on a 45 ACP cylinder. The seller said it won't fit his new model blackhawk but it will slip into an old 3 screw 44 mag. blackhawk. What would have to be done to make it fit?

Zacharoo

G2

Hunter
I don't know if it will fit, but a OM .45ACP Cylinder is worth ~$100, and there allways seem to be somebody wanting one.

If you want to know if it work's, a few careful measurements would let one know.

Yea, I know probably not much help and not a direct answer, but it did bump it up. One of the pro's will be coming along.

J Miller

Blackhawk
Tolerances. Some Old Model cylinders will fit and work in the New Models, some wont. Some New Model cylinders will fit and work in the Old Models, some wont.

My Old Model BH has New Model cylinders in it and they fit and function perfectly.

If the cylinder is too long at the front it can be shortened. But if it's too short it's a whole nuther ball game.

All you can do is buy it and try it. If it fits and times up, your good to go. If not sell it in the classifieds and try again.

Not much help am I?

Joe

its a question of "off-set", the New model cylinder, the case rims are "exposed" ,not recessed, into the rear of the chamber, like the 'old models', which also , have a firing pin groove as well..., thus the stud ( ratchets) in the rear will be deeper or vice verse, also in the front, the barrel stem may be 'set back, thus this calls for a LONGER 'stud' ( gas seal) up fronts to maintain the barrel/cylinder "gap",,,,,,then of course there is the actual "fitting" ( timing) of the hand ( pawl) to the racthets to make the cylinder "turn" when you cock back the hammer........ALL has to be in its "proper" place and sequence ( timing) lock up and bore alignment...............not rocket science, but all still critical for safe firearms operation..........won't know till one "tries" but should have all the proper measurements BEFORE you go out and pay cash for just any old cylinder, ( pig in a poke......) :roll: