Pretty Sure My SR9 Lost A Hunk Of Stuff

Help Support Ruger Forum:

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer

810wmb

Single-Sixer
:cry:

crap!

i knew it, didn't want to believe it! i called right after i posted, a prepaid label is on the way - getting it by email, i'll send the gun out tomorrow

thanks

jhearne

Buckeye
What happened? Just routine shooting, or was the barrel dropped or something? Least Ruger will take care of it though.

Josh

jhearne

Buckeye
tomf":1qmuwlho said:
Alot of that is popping up on the SR9. Makes me nervous, I just bought one and have not picked it up yet.

What's popping up? Pieces chipping off of the Barrel? Please explain, this is the first case I've seen of it, but there are only a few 'major' concerns when it comes to the SR9.

Peening
Trigger Reset Issues

A 'Minor' Concern would be:
Striker Tab breaking, this is only on the list because there are a few confirmed happenings, and one recently (3 months or so).
Camblock issues (haven't seen any since the first couple of fixes within the SR9's first 6 months, wouldn't worry about this one though)

I wouldn't be too concerned about 'chipping' on the barrel lugs just yet until there are more confirmed problems, he hasn't even stated how it happened. Take the SR9 out of the wrapper, go to your local range, load up and run it some and report back. The SR9 is by no means a collectors gun as it stands unless it was one of the first 2000 made, even those are most likely shooters as well.

Josh

810wmb

Single-Sixer
jhearne":3j48mhc9 said:
What happened? Just routine shooting, or was the barrel dropped or something? Least Ruger will take care of it though.

Josh

just routine shooting...it has 1600 or so through it. i also had a trigger reset issue i posted about week or so ago.

it's been a good one until now.

ruger didn't blink, sent the label right out.

jhearne

Buckeye
Odd that it did that during shooting, there's a pretty good bit of clearance in those lugs/slots IIRC, makes me wonder if something got in and obstructed it maybe. Sucks that it happened though.

Josh

810wmb

Single-Sixer
jhearne":wbgckmkq said:
Odd that it did that during shooting, there's a pretty good bit of clearance in those lugs/slots IIRC, makes me wonder if something got in and obstructed it maybe. Sucks that it happened though.

Josh

josh - beats me - i don't "baby" my guns, but i really take care of them...ok, i kinda baby them :D

it hasn't been dropped, i know that for sure. after shooting saturday, i noticed it when i cleaned it up. i put the gun back together because i had to clean my 1911. it stuck in my mind, but i have been super busy this week. when i finally looked today - TADA!

it is weird that this and the trigger reset happened within a week of each other. i never did the polishing of the trigger pieces either.

the only other problem i have had is a mild burr where everyone's is peening.

now the really odd part - the mild burr is gone! i guess the last time shooting, it got wore off.

it has been good until now - i have kept a close eye on it since learning of peening, etc.

we'll see, i'll keep y'all posted

ggallin

Bearcat
it just looks like peening from the pics. mine looks just like yours does. when the gun went in for the recall i made mention of it to ruger and all they did was polish it smooth.

ggallin

Bearcat
it just looks like peening from the pics. mine looks just like yours does. when the gun went in for the recall i made mention of it to ruger and all they did was polish it smooth.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Pro_Angler":1ykv8dzh said:
I was gonna get one this week for my wife but it seems as though this is a POS gun.

...and that would be a totally wrong statement.

Mine has been great as far as reliablity goes, I am going on 9,000 rds and have never had a misfeed or misfire.

Jumping Frog

Bearcat
jhearne":3h9uiwcv said:
tomf":3h9uiwcv said:
Alot of that is popping up on the SR9. Makes me nervous, I just bought one and have not picked it up yet.

What's popping up? Pieces chipping off of the Barrel? Please explain, this is the first case I've seen of it, but there are only a few 'major' concerns when it comes to the SR9.
I posted a similar problem. Mine didn't chip, it gouged, but it was in the same place on the barrel hood.

See Odd Barrel Peening (picts)

DSCF1009-2.jpg

DSCF1012-2.jpg

DSCF1018-2.jpg

jhearne

Buckeye
Never saw that thread, was on my way to TN that week. Still 2 cases so far, but it looks more like a peening of some sort with those pics (clearer pics). Thanks for the link, hope that issue doesn't show back up.

Josh

brickman7

Bearcat
Are any of yall shooting reloads? Ruger states the SR9 will handle any commercial rounds....but not reloads...I keep a close eye on mine and I haven't seen even the slightest evidence of pratically any use on mine, and I shoot the #$%^ out of mine...but not with reloads....

Jumping Frog

Bearcat
brickman7":2l08s58q said:
Are any of yall shooting reloads? Ruger states the SR9 will handle any commercial rounds....but not reloads...
That is the standard lawyer mantra from all the gunmakers. None of them want to be liable for some yahoo with super hot reloads.

That said, there is no practical difference on gun impact between commercial and high quality reloads. Most pistol reloaders making target loads typically load their charge on the light side instead of the heavy side.

Whether or not reloads have a warranty impact usually comes up only when someone has a kaboom.

810wmb

Single-Sixer
brickman7":1dnfdakm said:
Are any of yall shooting reloads? Ruger states the SR9 will handle any commercial rounds....but not reloads...I keep a close eye on mine and I haven't seen even the slightest evidence of pratically any use on mine, and I shoot the #$%^ out of mine...but not with reloads....

nope