worst reloading instructions ever.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mattsbox99

Hunter
Wow, that is seriously bad advice! Never use black powder in any bottle neck rifle case. BP behaves dramatically different than smokeless powder.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Must be the same guy that built his own gun with rubber bands and twine. :shock: :?

My favorite part: Difficulty: Moderate :D :D

...jimbo[/i]

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

As much as it's overused today, this does seem a perfect place for a big OMG! :shock:

I'm not sure anybody should trust eHow for much to start with, and I'm convinced absolutely nobody should trust 'em when dealing w/ stuff that goes "BOOM!"

Rick C

demo_slug

Single-Sixer
its almost like he copied some bad instructions for shoot shell reloading and changed it for 223. there is a ton wrong it.

A

Anonymous

I love the warnings ...
Make sure you have a Remington reloading book with all of the reloading information.

Hmm ... for the life of me all I can find is a Lyman, Lee, Nosler, Sierra, Barnes, Hornady ...
:p

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
This guy might rival the 'Mall Security Guy' for stupidest Internet posts of all time. Is there more online from him? I bet he is just a fountain of firearms knowledge with that book and all. :roll: :roll: LMAO

...Jimbo

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Never trust a recipe that calls for "Black powered". (Note, this is not meant to be racist in any way; This joker actually has that listed this way under, "Things you'll need".)

LiveStrong, indeed.

-- Sam

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
That kind of insanely dangerous misinformation makes me REALLY want to make sure new entrants to the shooting sports and reloading get good information from reliable sources.

I wonder if Chuck Hawk would be interested in the fact that this yahoo has included a link to his web site. Maybe Chuck could sue for defamation.

I also note that a campaign ad for Joe Miller (The Republican candidate for U.S. Senate in my state of Alaska) appears alongside the negligent misinformation.

Question: Do other viewers from other states see the Joe Miller ad or do they see different (regionally targeted) ads?

Thanks in advance for anyone who replies to my question.

Truly scary web site which goes to prove the adage, "Believe only half of what you see and one quarter of what you hear. That goes double for everything you find on the internet ."

Lost Sheep

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Lost Sheep said:
Question: Do other viewers from other states see the Joe Miller ad or do they see different (regionally targeted) ads?

Every time I go there I see different ads, none political though. In fact that Chuck Hawks reference was only there one time. The other reloading articles (.17, 41 magnum etc.) are almost as bad. How can you do a how-to article on re-loading in two or three paragraphs? :roll: :roll:

...Jimbo

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
Making the assumption that the people at eHow and Livestrong would care if one of their members injured themselves, I sent this message through their "Contact Us" utility.

I noticed some dangerous advice on one of your contributors' postings. I thought you would want to know.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7339139_remington-_223-reloading-instructions.htm

It talks about loading black powder into a 223 Remington cartridge case and suggests "fill the case". He goes on to suggest 20 to 22 grains (weight) of powder.

Reloading is not an essentially dangerous activity, but to assemble what amounts to a small explosive device without complete understanding is to invite disaster.

Black Powder's burning characteristics is substantially different from modern smokeless powders.

This contributor has posted an encouragement for someone to injure themselves. That such dangerous information is available on your web site calls into question everything I find there. In other words, as long as that nonsense is up, it will be hard to believe anything I find on livestrong or ehow.

Wikipedia and others have ways of vetting their information. Consider this message my tiny contribution to your process.

Thanks for reading

Larry Schuller (Lost Sheep on the forums "Rugerforum.com", "accuratereloading.com", "TheFiringLine.com" and others.)

I encourage others, more expert than I am, to also send information to the web site hosts and make our world a little safer.

Lost Sheep

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
Jimbo357mag said:
Lost Sheep said:
(edited for focus)
How can you do a how-to article on re-loading in two or three paragraphs? :roll: :roll:

...Jimbo
I think it can be done. The offending article has 196 words.

Anyone who has read my posts knows how much of a challenge it is for me to fit ANYTHING into a limited number of words, but I will try it.

Anyone else want to try composing an article outlining (or detailing) loading metallic cartridges? Maybe one each for straight-walled cases and for bottlenecked?

Target audience would be a novice shooter with NO knowledge of firearms' inner workings. Only that metal round things go in one end and bullets come out the other end, very fast. Goal is to inform the reader sufficiently to

1) encourage safety and

2) cover the main points of the process such that the reader could actually

a) load a cartridge on four conventional single-stage presses (i.e. already set up with the dies adjusted and named, 1 Sizer-Decapper, 2 Case Mouth Belling, 3 Bullet Seating 4, Bullet Crimping) and

b) understand what they did.

I will try to do it in 500 words. I expect any number of my fellow denizens of Rugerforum.com could do it in 300. Maybe take an extra 75 if you explain headspace for rimless cartridges.

If I can manage to write an article (I will do straight-walled), I will start a thread next Saturday entitled "Shortest Reloading Manual in the World-Straight-walled edition".

Lost Sheep

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Lost Sheep said:
I will try to do it in 500 words. I expect any number of my fellow denizens of Rugerforum.com could do it in 300. Maybe take an extra 75 if you explain headspace for rimless cartridges.p

Hi, Larry

Anyone who has the patience or suffers enough from boredom to read thru my rambles knows I'm not one of those blessed w/ a gift for brevity.

I'd love to see how you fare: seems quite a challenge! I think the briefest instructions I've ever seen were on the little "instruction sheet" that came w/ the original Lee Loader back when it sold for $9.98 (LONG ago!) and even they might exceed that limit.

Best of luck and please share what you come up with w/ us, ok?

Rick C

Tenbore

Single-Sixer
That guy is a total IDIOT. A perfect example of why you should never use anyone's reloads.

maxpress

Buckeye
This is one of those things that you just can't stop laughing at then it hits you that he was being serious. And suddenly it's the unfuniest thing.

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
Wel, I haven't been able to boil it down to 500 words, but did find the rcbs.com has a guide (for bottleneck cartridges - haven't found one for straight-walled cases yet)

http://www.rcbs.com/guide/stepbystep.aspx
http://www.rcbs.com/guide/printsteps.html

Merry Christmas.

Lost Sheep