Will the LC9 survive the M&P Shield?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cubby

Single-Sixer
I love the looks of the LC9 over the Shield. I like the melted slide. I just hate the trigger!

The Shield looks like a Glock on a diet....

DWood

Bearcat
Cubby said:
I love the looks of the LC9 over the Shield. I like the melted slide. I just hate the trigger!

The Shield looks like a Glock on a diet....

Mine has the full Galloway trigger kit and the trigger is not an issue.

welder

Buckeye
Cubby said:
I love the looks of the LC9 over the Shield. I like the melted slide. I just hate the trigger!.

I hated the trigger as well, and the mag disconnect. Yes I know it can be removed, however I choose not. I have decided to pass on any new purchase if it has the disconnect. Agree too the LC9 is the better looking gun. The difference in size between the Shield and the LC9 is insignificant even for pocket carry. I visited my two LGS's today and both were Shield less. Numerous calls per day for them and the ones they had sold as soon as they got them in.

DWood

Bearcat
welder said:
Cubby said:
I love the looks of the LC9 over the Shield. I like the melted slide. I just hate the trigger!.

I hated the trigger as well, and the mag disconnect. Yes I know it can be removed, however I choose not. I have decided to pass on any new purchase if it has the disconnect. .......The difference in size between the Shield and the LC9 is insignificant even for pocket carry................

I will believe the shield is a pocket carry gun when I put it in my pocket to see for myself. It is only slightly bigger than the LC9, but I carry the LC9 in a front pocket every day and do not notice it. I will know immediately when I slip the Shield into my pocket if it will work for me.

As far as the trigger and magazine safety, the Galloway trigger kit resolves the long trigger and removing the mag safety is easy. We all make choices.

Cubby

Single-Sixer
If I keep the LC9, I may have to look at the Galloway Kit. Is it fairly easy to install?

welder

Buckeye
Arizona Gunner said:
I am still baffled by the "live up to its potential" thing... Spart, please handle one, and better yet, shoot it.

I think that's reasonable to ask before reaching conclusions about a gun. I honestly don't know where you have gotten the idea it is somehow beefed up to handle .40. It couldn't have been made smaller as a 9 without being too small... unless maybe the LC9 is too big also. They are the simply the same size!

Ruger makes some good pistols, but Smith really got this one right. It leapfrogged past the LC9.

Try it, you will be pleasantly surprised!

I intend to try it when I can find one. The gun will be quite successful if available in quantity and in time proves to be reliable.
The better trigger alone will go a long way to insure it's popularity as well as the lack of a mag disconnect. I understand it ships with two mags as well.
There are plenty of buyers who do not wish to spend additional money on a gun that requires parts replacement to get it to where it should have been from the start or remove a safety device in a weapon that may be used in defense. YMMV

Trooper Joe

Single-Sixer
Interesting thread.

When I bought my LC9 last summer, I liked it at once. I trusted it to carry after only firing about 30 to 50 rounds including all the HP ammo I might want to carry (I of course settled on Hornady's Critical Defense).

However, all the chatter on the forums seemed to address taking off the loaded chamber indicator "flag", removing the magazine disconnect, and the goofy trigger (I now see there is some type of kit for this).

I sold my LC9 to a friend who really likes it.

Last week Monday, I saw my first Shield and really was amazed. Yesterday I found one for sale (not as cheap as some of the prices posted) but no more difference than one night at a bar.

The Shield has a great trigger, no magazine disconnect, no "flag" for a loaded chamber indicator, feeds all my hollow point defense ammo, the magazine slips into the gun very smoothly due to the shape of it and will fire +P (although not a steady diet of it).

If you check the owners manual on the Shield (available on line) you will see that S & W actually list a magazine disconnect and "flag" type of loaded chamber indicator. They state that "if your gun is equipped with these", etc. Obviously, they are making some or will make some just for places like California where I understand these are required.

I really like this gun and hope to get a chance to shoot it today.

No I will not sell either my P-32 KelTec, or my "gulp/expensive" Rohrbaugh, R9s.

This is my first M&P platform, but not my first S & W. It's kind of like buying into part of an old family again (my prior department was all S & W for 40 or 50 + years).

Just some thoughts,

welder

Buckeye
Trooper Joe said:
Interesting thread.

When I bought my LC9 last summer, I liked it at once. I trusted it to carry after only firing about 30 to 50 rounds including all the HP ammo I might want to carry (I of course settled on Hornady's Critical Defense).

However, all the chatter on the forums seemed to address taking off the loaded chamber indicator "flag", removing the magazine disconnect, and the goofy trigger (I now see there is some type of kit for this).

I sold my LC9 to a friend who really likes it.

Last week Monday, I saw my first Shield and really was amazed. Yesterday I found one for sale (not as cheap as some of the prices posted) but no more difference than one night at a bar.

The Shield has a great trigger, no magazine disconnect, no "flag" for a loaded chamber indicator, feeds all my hollow point defense ammo, the magazine slips into the gun very smoothly due to the shape of it and will fire +P (although not a steady diet of it).

Just some thoughts,

I came to the same conclusion Joe and I sold mine for the same reasons. That old flawed logic I guess. LOL. I will not buy a gun, spend additional money swapping parts trying to re-engineer it. It is what it is and there are far too many other choices for that. My ccw guns are box stock and will remain so.
I liked the looks and ergonomics of the Ruger, the price, and well, the fact it was a Ruger. But I decided to go back to my pre-lock j-frame for pocket carry.

Now the Shield comes along. It is essentially the same size and lacks the disconnect, flag and ships with two mags. As I have said earlier in this thread, I believe it will sell well IF there are no issues and Smith can get it out in numbers to satisfy the market. Well see.

Smith has offered the M&P line with or without the disconnect, buyers choice. Ruger could do the same and they could as well have deigned a better trigger from the start. YMMV

Cubby

Single-Sixer
As soon as my LGS gets one in (shield) and I get to hold it. Bye Bye LC9. My SR9c on the other hand I'll keep for a long time!

welder

Buckeye
Cubby I'm just glad I sold my LC9 two months ago. :lol: I see a market adjustment in the future. I burned a bit of gasoline yesterday looking for a shield to examine to no avail. I will wait a bit to see if any bugs crawl out though before I drop the coin.:? I was lucky, I got all my money back out of my LC9. The guy I sold it too wanted to replace his LCP and could not find an LC9. Perfect timing.

Trooper Joe, how about a range report? We'd really appreciate that. :D

Cubby

Single-Sixer
welder said:
Cubby I'm just glad I sold my LC9 two months ago. :lol: I see a market adjustment in the future. I burned a bit of gasoline yesterday looking for a shield to examine to no avail. I will wait a bit to see if any bugs crawl out though before I drop the coin.:? I was lucky, I got all my money back out of my LC9. The guy I sold it too wanted to replace his LCP and could not find an LC9. Perfect timing.

Trooper Joe, how about a range report? We'd really appreciate that. :D

Timing is everything! I'm probably in a bad spot now to unload the LC9 without taking a beating! You win some, you lose some...

welder

Buckeye
Maybe not Cubby, the buying climate is very good and will only get better. But I was clearly lucky. I had a new mag in the package too, they were scarce around here and that didn't hurt the sale.

Cubby

Single-Sixer
If I like the Shield, I'll try to sell the LC9 outright. You take a pretty good beating trading!
I do have three mags and a custom leather holster. That might sweeten the deal!

welder

Buckeye
Yeah, I have almost completely stopped trading with my LGS. Used to be able to take the lick but just can't rationalize it any longer. I'll not rule it out but will try to avoid it.
The mags and holster should go a ways in helping to move it if you choose. My gun looked new, no scratches or dings and I sold it to a co-worker who was with me when I bought it. He knew the gun, had fired it and just happened to be in the market. The stars aligned I guess but that's not usually the case for me.

Cubby

Single-Sixer
My LC9 doesn't have a mark on it and about 100 rounds throug it!

welder

Buckeye
It should sell easily especially with your extras. I am fortunate in that I work with about as many gun guys as anyone. Always some trading or buying/selling going on.

Trooper Joe

Single-Sixer
Shot the Shield this afternoon. As expected, it was great. Fed any type of hp/defense ammo I fed it.

Love those tapered mags. They feed like glass into the gun.

This new Smith Shield is going to be the hot gun for 2012 and beyond.

Trooper Joe

Single-Sixer
welder said:
Was the trigger as good as you expected Trooper Joe?

And did you try some plain ole Winchester white box?

Alan

The triigger was great. It is sort of a crisp release rather than the typical pull of most striker fired pistols.

I did try some plain ball ammo (not Winchester) with absolutely no problems.

One Shield report I read commented on the difficulty of fully loading the magazines. They are tight (the 7 rounder slightly tighter than the 8 round one) but I had no problem. Also, fully loaded, they fed hp ammo with no problem (in contrast to some other pistols which seem to nose dive the top round of a "tight" magazine).

I sort of like the 7 rounder more than the 8 round magazine. Will call Smith tomorrow and get my name on a list for a couple more 7 rounders.

welder

Buckeye
Excellent.
Thanks, that's good to know. I have a train load of WWB and generally use it to break in new pistols. Good to hear the trigger is crisp.
The mags will loosen up a bit after use. I had a Para LDA once and it had the tightest mags I have encountered. A few days left fully loaded and they were much easier. It nosedived the first round several times before they loosened up.

Latest posts