Will the LC9 survive the M&P Shield?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

5Wire

Single-Sixer
Makes sense to me, sense you already have one. I'll probably wind up with one myself but the differences from the Shield are so minuscule I may have one those, too, or instead.

Cubby

Single-Sixer
As far as I'm concerned, if you haven't handled or fired a particular firearm, you aren't qualified to make a decision on it. It's like getting advice on how to raise children from someone who isn't a parent!

Spart

Bearcat
I don't think it matters honestly.

The trend is towards smaller, and specifically thinner. There's a reason why neither of these guns are a double-stack configuration.

S&W missed the point about what makes a single-stack great, because if they wanted to beat the LC9, they'd make it thinner, not wider.

And it is doable in 9x19, see Kel-Tec's products.

5Wire

Single-Sixer
I don't think S&W missed a thing. The difference in width is 1.27mm, the thickness of a Lincoln penny or the difference between 9mm and .40 caliber.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
S&W could have made a handgun very similar to this handgun
http://diamondbackfirearms.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=74

Striker fired
11 ounces empty
.80" wide
5.6" long
4" tall
5 lb trigger pull

Charlie

welder

Buckeye
To the OP. I think the Shield will surpass the LC9 for several reasons. Trigger, light strikes, QC issues etc. There is room for both but I will be looking at the Shield while waiting to see if it has any bugs. Most likely it won't because it is based on a solid proven design. I sold my (trouble free) LC9 and am looking to find a replacement for pocket carry. While I had no issues with my LC9 in the 300 or so rounds I fired I didn't want to learn of a light strike at 350 when I needed it most.

DWood

Bearcat
welder said:
To the OP. I think the Shield will surpass the LC9 for several reasons. Trigger, light strikes, QC issues etc. There is room for both but I will be looking at the Shield while waiting to see if it has any bugs. Most likely it won't because it is based on a solid proven design. I sold my (trouble free) LC9 and am looking to find a replacement for pocket carry. While I had no issues with my LC9 in the 300 or so rounds I fired I didn't want to learn of a light strike at 350 when I needed it most.

You sold a gun that has run flawlessly for you based on your thoughts that it might fail you in the future? And, you are endorsing a new gun that you have never used because it is based "on a solid, proven design"? Seems to me your logic is flawed.

welder

Buckeye
No, actually I am endorsing nothing. The OP posed a question and I offered an answer.

(I will be looking at the Shield while waiting to see if it has any bugs), Quote

IE: It must be proven in actual field use. The LC9 has exhibited some undesirable traits to a few on this forum.

Until then My G26 or S&W J frame will be my pocket gun. If you research the LC9 you will see that many of the problems are occurring several hundred rounds out. Metal in the channel at first detail strip, walking pins etc. Plus, I hated the trigger and mag disconnect.

The M&P design is proven. You did say you would look at it for your EDC if found by some to be favorable?

5Wire

Single-Sixer
This guy has too much fun:

LC9 (he has several videos): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeLxP6Kywzk&feature=plcp

Shield (also several): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7pmjCWSgJU

robkarrob

Bearcat
I use a LC9 for pocket carry. Saw the M&P Shield. Nice gun but is is larger all around and just a little heavier. I have the gallowayprecision trigger kit on my LC9. Trigger starts at the normal start location as the stock LC9 but has zero free play and hammer break comes in after 3/8 in of trigger pull. My trigger pull length is slightly less than the M&P Shield. The pull weight is about the same for both. Check out my video: http://youtu.be/WzXxnBqXbCY Go to the 10 minute time frame and you will see a short, sweet pull. M&P is a nice small gun but not as compact as the LC9.

Bob

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Looking at the new Shield I can honestly say I would choose it over the LC9. It appears to have the same firing mechanism as the standard M&P, plus the SRP is $449.00, meaning a real world price in the mid to high 300's. If Ruger created a Shield version of the SR9 I would certainly be interested.

area338

Bearcat
I think there is room for both. I shoot the LC9 with the quirky trigger just fine! The key to shooting the LC9 out of the box is to prep the trigger as I do on my M&P 9c. It will survive!

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
mrmike7189 said:
the M&Pc and Glock 26/27 have better capacity in a same small package.

The M&Pc is 1.2" wide, the Glock 26 is 1.18" wide, the SR9c is 1.27" wide. They are the fat boys in the group, and while compact, are not really suited to pocket carry. These handguns are better suited to IWB carry in holsters like Crossbread, or Theis.

Charlie

guidedfishing

Single-Sixer
A better question is can the Shield catch the LC9, probably not at this point. The majority of the LC9 owners that have embraced it are not likely to run out and pick a Shield. Even today, I see the LGS's moving LC9's like fresh bread coming out of the oven. As to the Glock either you love'em or you hate'em it seems, good pistol they just don't fit me, and there to chunky for me. Will the Shield gain enough ground to survive, if it proves itself out it may.

good luck
shoot straight and shoot often.

DWood

Bearcat
Leucoandro said:
mrmike7189 said:
the M&Pc and Glock 26/27 have better capacity in a same small package.

The M&Pc is 1.2" wide, the Glock 26 is 1.18" wide, the SR9c is 1.27" wide. They are the fat boys in the group, and while compact, are not really suited to pocket carry. These handguns are better suited to IWB carry in holsters like Crossbread, or Theis.

Charlie

Absolutely agree with Charlie about the Glock 26\27, they are not pocket guns.

The LC9 works fine in my front pocket and my hope is that the Sheild will also.

DWood

Bearcat
This video makes me think the Shield may not be as comfortable for pocket carry as it's just a little bigger than my LC9. I would really like to hear from someone who carries this in a front pocket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES4j0ix-NGA&feature=relmfu

Latest posts