Will it void the warranty?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WolfePack01

Bearcat
I like the loaded chamber indicator on my SR40 but it sticks up too high. Do you think if I were to shave off 1/16" off the part of the indicator that contacts the loaded bullet it would void the warranty? The indicator would still come up, just not as high.

roylt

Hunter
Personally I think any gunsmithing that is done to a gun would void the warranty. Of course if you had an issue with another part that was clearly not touched by anyone other than the factory I would think Ruger would back you up.

How many times has someone bought a used gun and sent it in to Ruger for work and got some if not all the work for free.

Ultimatly if you want to do it to your gun why not.

Also why do you think it sticks up too high? Maybe it is messed up and needs to go back to Ruger?

I don't have a SR40 or have I ever seen one first hand but maybe that is the real question. Is it in spec now?

good luck,

A

Anonymous

Ruger is very particular about modified guns. If you send a gun back to them with custom or modded parts, you don't get those parts back, Ruger replaces them with factory parts.

Certain mods could give them reason to refuse a repair that would otherwise have been cheerfully done for free.

If you want to modify a part, buy a second part to modify, saving the original to put on the gun if it were ever sent back.

Big Stu

Single-Sixer
Technically, there is no real warranty from Ruger, but they will repair your defective gun at no charge even if you have modified it. That of course is if the problem is NOT due to the modification but due to a manufacturers defect. They will however remove any modified parts and replace them with factory parts at your expense. I would suggest that if you do any modifications, make sure you keep a replacement part or the original parts just in case you should ever need to return the gun to Ruger.

By the way, does the LCI get in the way of your sights, or do you just not like the look of it when it is raised? My SR9c has the same LCI but it is completely invisible when sighting a target, but is is very visible (as it was meant to be) when just looking at it.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
I've read a lot of posts on the forum about doing this and issues getting service. Not just with the SR series guns but also with other Ruger models and what I've been able to glean is this:

Ruger tries to be as fair and generous with their repairs as they possibly can. They try their best to make their customers happy. Even if someone has modified a gun, from what I've read here at Rugerforum in the past year, Ruger does its level best to fix that gun at the lowest possible cost if it ever gets sent back.

I agree with royalt in other words. It's a case-by-case thing, but I can't see why Ruger would refuse to fix other parts of the gun if that was the only thing you touched.

I do have a question: why? Why do you think it sticks up too high? Is it just a purely cosmetic thing, or has it actually influenced your use of the gun? My SR9s LCI doesn't interfere with the sight picture or handling. You cannot see it looking through the sights any more than you can see the ejection port before the gun comes level. Do you just think it looks "dippy?"

WolfePack01

Bearcat
It's purely "cosmetic". In no way does it interfere with the sight picture. I was a "Glocker" for a long time and I'm just now warming up to all the extras that my SR40 offers. With a SS slide the orange LCI could come up only 1/16" and be easily visible. I just thought it sticks up rather high as it comes stock.

pisgah

Buckeye
What warranty?

From the SR40 instruction manual (and all Ruger manuals):

"Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. has elected not to
provide any written warranty, either "limited" or "full", rather than to
attempt to comply with the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Act and
the regulations issued thereunder."

9isFine

Bearcat
order a spare LCI, rework it and replace the original for any service work your gun may require in the future....Is it worth purchasing a spare LCI?

mattsbox99

Hunter
As noted, there is no warranty, but we all know that Ruger takes care of their customers better than any other gun company.

I've taken a bit off the edge of the LCI on my MKIIIs and it doesn't hurt anything. That way I don't leave a gap from removing the LCI and I don't have any feed problems because its in the way.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
WolfePack01 said:
It's purely "cosmetic". In no way does it interfere with the sight picture. I was a "Glocker" for a long time and I'm just now warming up to all the extras that my SR40 offers. With a SS slide the orange LCI could come up only 1/16" and be easily visible. I just thought it sticks up rather high as it comes stock.

Well that explains it no mendacity or insult intended. It *is* a little different cosmetically from a lot of other guns, particularly for Glock owners. I can understand why. The only thing I worry about in filing it down from the bottom is maintaining the slant cut of the front edge of the pawl and making sure it doesn't hang up in reverse and become a "second extractor", which it's not supposed to be. The LCI is basically a pawl like the extractor but it's a little different because it's *not* supposed to lock up on anything, and instead just move up and down with as little force as possible. It's cut at about a 45 degree angle so that it slides easily up and over the cartridge rim as the gun goes into battery and comes off just as easily. You don't want to alter that critical angle much. So if you file it down from the bottom, make *sure* you preserve the angle of the original cut and go slowly and test-fit it back into the gun.

It's a pretty close-tolerance part and you can feel when you move it that it's supposed to move with very, very little force once it contacts the cartridge. That's why it's a relatively long lever arm with a spring that doesn't exert much force and you can move it with the tip of your finger with almost no effort. Above everything else you don't want to increase the amount of force it takes to push the lever up, and you don't want it hanging up on the cartridge rim, either, like some kind of "secondary extractor." It's designed to move super easy, on and off, every time.

Gizmo42

Single-Sixer
I've thought about taking a little bit off of mine. My feeling is, as long as you just take a little bit off so its not quite so high but sill operates as intended they probably wont even notice. If they do and end up replacing it (should it ever need to be sent in) then so be it.

cruzerlou

Buckeye
It's not an auto ,but I'll tell y'all my Ruger Repair story anyway .I have a cria 1973 SBH with a 7 1/2" bbl .It had a recessed cylender and I've been told by folks here that know that when Ruger was going from the old model 3 screw to the 2 pin with the transfer bar saftey guns that a few were made this way with the recessed cylender .I started having light hammer strikes and ftf's .I sent it back to Ruger and they replaced the cylender and all the internals ,basicaly they rebuilt the gun and didn't charge me a dime .So I have a brand new SBH except for a reblueing job .Not bad consedering that I bought the gun used .
Lou