For anyone experiencing the LCP Max shooting low or way off - read this before sending it back to Ruger.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

None of the 'mouse guns' are target pistols. It was suggested to me to practice getting 5 shots into a 5 inch circle at five yards as rapidly as possible, which is equivalent to 'COM".
Most subcompact, compact, revolver's are not target guns either. I would say on the pocket gun start at three yards. Learn and practice drills, move up to 5, then 7 then 10 yds and up etc. It is up to the shooter how far he wants to go how much he wants to put into it. When I started shooting them, my idea was, Hey, if I am going to carry one, might as well become proficient. Just like most things in life. Get into some competition with some friends. Challenge yourself. Get competitive with yourself. I find them addicting. That said, they are not for every one. And I would never start a young shooter or inexperienced shooter with one. And anyone that does not train diligently is just wasting their time.

unodemo

Bearcat
Picked up the Max and a 10 round mag after ignoring it for several months. Warmed up with a few dry fire reps to recall the fundamentals, and then I got to work.

3 yds 5 shots of 100gr FMJ using a Dead on Hold. The Max will do its part when you do your part.

IMG_1408.JPG TargetHolds.jpg

poconocho

Bearcat
Picked up the Max and a 10 round mag after ignoring it for several months. Warmed up with a few dry fire reps to recall the fundamentals, and then I got to work.

3 yds 5 shots of 100gr FMJ using a Dead on Hold. The Max will do its part when you do your part.

View attachment 34314View attachment 34313
Very true in my experience.

Another piece of data for those having issues:

I put in the galloway precision trigger which is just a piece of plastic that changes the angle of the trigger pull, lowering the amount of travel, which resulted in even better shooting for me.

As others have said, I would summarize by saying: very likely if you are having issues getting rounds on target, the issue is the shooter not the gun.

Put in some time at the range working on fundamentals before jumping to conclusions and sending the gun back to Ruger.

unodemo

Bearcat
And if you still think the Max POI is low, then you'd be correct (up to a point) because the Gun Data org people helped me out with the ballistics estimation. Here we go.

Monarch 94gr FMJ does ~825fps from my Max. It has ~0.10 BC. The Max sight height is .57". Zero range is 10yds for this estimation.

Gun Data worked out the POI to
3yds will be .34" low (3/8")
5yds will be .22" low (1/4")
7yds will be .12" low (1/8")
10yds will be Zero
15yds will be .1 high
20yds will be .02 high
25yds will be .17" low (3/16") and then drive off the cliff like Thelma & Louise
30yds will be .5" low
35yds will be 1" low
40yds will be 1.56 low (1-5/8")
and so on.

My Dead On hold completely covered the blue tape target. The top of the Max front sight was flush with the top of the target tape.
I ran my 100gr load through the calculator. Its ballistics were about the same as the 94gr example until ~20yds before that heavier bullet fell off the cliff.

Bottom line is the Max is on target in Aimed Shooting for righty's unless...
A. The front sight is misaligned or you are using something other than the Dead On hold.
B. Left POI. You are pushing the shot (too little trigger finger).
C. Right POI. You are heeling the shot (too much trigger finger).
D. Low POI. You are anticipating the shot and pushed the muzzle down (dabbed) when the trigger broke.
E. High POI. You are not gripping sufficiently (Stovepipe FTE is your big clue here) with the support hand to manage the felt recoil or you're letting the muzzle lift ala Dirty Harry.

Point shooting is an entirely different matter.

I'm no expert at this, but the Max is very very good at letting me know that I'm getting it right. It's not a target pistol. It has a place as a trainer. I want the good fundamentals memorized should there a non-training situation arise. I may even take the Max to a BUG competition just to see what it does.

unodemo

Bearcat
If only my problem in this life is being low and to the left....:oops:

Here is a diagnostic video that will show you're getting it right.

Last edited:

BrightSpark

Bearcat
I haven't shot the LCP II but from video reviews understand there are some differences. They are similar size and weight though.

I imagine if you are accurate with one you have a good chance of being accurate with the other despite minor design improvements of the max.
I have had the same experience---when I sure up my grip, I can knock the plates at 7 yards--if i'm half hearted it's like I'm not even aiming!

unodemo

Bearcat
I have had the same experience---when I sure up my grip, I can knock the plates at 7 yards--if i'm half hearted it's like I'm not even aiming!
Operating with the LCP kin is much like operating a shotgun. Both are inherently abusive relationships. Either you be the dom or you be the sub.

Latest posts