Why I love Ruger Revolvers in Stainless so much

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Actnbill

Single-Sixer
This is my 3rd Ruger Stainless revolver that I bought on the cheap because previous owner tried to polish it and thence ruin the finish.

I spoke with a Ruger armorer and he said how to refinish the stainless like they do.

Gray 3M Scotch pads in small deliberate strokes with the grain.

It's like new again......( just like my SP101 and Super Redhawk )

Attachments

• IMG_5511.jpg
    IMG_5511.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_5509.jpg
    IMG_5509.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 219

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
In Rugers owners manual it actually give this info for "touching up " your revolver . A few years ago I got a deal on a new single six because it was a display gun, a scratch on the frame. Did exactly the procedure, could not tell it was ever scratched !😊

First of all, nice gun. 🤩:love:

However much more gorgeous a blued gun is than a stainless gun, it's my stainless guns that get most of my attention and use. So yes, I do get it.

Funny about stainless finishes... I just plain don't care what the finish looks like or what it has morphed into. I have an older 4-5/8" version of your pistol, with the factory stainless finish, with the exception of some spots that were worn shiny smooth by the factory packaging long before I ever shot this little gun. It's just that much more character.;)

Rclark

Hunter
I get it... sorta :) . I am more a blued fan myself. Honest wear looks good on a revolver over many years of use. But I understand in a humid/salt water climate a stainless (I like to call them unfinished) firearm is easier to maintain. But for me blue/case hardened/case colored is the way to go.

That said, enjoy your revolver! Stainless doesn't affect how it shoots! :)

Star43

Blackhawk
You know I have a Birchwood Casey Sharpie pen, that looks just like a regular sharpie, and it's made by Sharpie......but I can't find any more. I have gone to countless gun shops and bring it with me for them to see. The can't seem to get it. The last 2 shops that ordered it came back as for aluminum touch up and it had the clear felt tip like other touch up blue pens. They are ok, but the ONE that I have Looks JUST like a black sharpie pen. It works great. You just go over a little wear spot and it fills in instantly and Stays on. I hope to find another one of those pens. It is so much easier, faster, & convenient to use. On a Single Six, it looks just like original. The reason I mention this is that sure, stainless is stainless, but this Blue touch up pen, sure works great.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
I need to Scotch Brite my Redhawk that got rust on the top strap in a holster

I don't buy anything blued anymore unless it's the odd old classic like the S&W Model 28 I have

I even had my blued Vaquero Birdshead hard chromed

I'm surprised Ruger even makes anything in blued carbon steel anymore

Star43

Blackhawk
That is one thing about the old "Blue" finish was that it was beautiful. All the old finishes were so much better. I'm a Ruger guy, but gee wizz. Look at a "New" Smith revolver. The finish is no where, absolutely no where like the Smiths of old. I remember being in a Gun shop not long ago and I asked the clerk if it was a new gun ? I thought it was used. The stainless finish was very blah, and the cylinder play was way too much. Give me an old manufactured gun any day. "Newer" does not mean better, to me anyway

You know I have a Birchwood Casey Sharpie pen, that looks just like a regular sharpie, and it's made by Sharpie......but I can't find any more. I have gone to countless gun shops and bring it with me for them to see. The can't seem to get it. The last 2 shops that ordered it came back as for aluminum touch up and it had the clear felt tip like other touch up blue pens. They are ok, but the ONE that I have Looks JUST like a black sharpie pen. It works great. You just go over a little wear spot and it fills in instantly and Stays on. I hope to find another one of those pens. It is so much easier, faster, & convenient to use. On a Single Six, it looks just like original. The reason I mention this is that sure, stainless is stainless, but this Blue touch up pen, sure works great.
I've seen fill your own paint markers for sale. Fill one with your Birchwood Casey. Ever since I tried Oxpho blue I don't use anything else.

Star43

Blackhawk
I don't really understand the paint marker thing you are referring to. It's just that the sharpie thing I have is marked Birchwood Casey, but Sharpie makes it, and it looks exactly just like a regular Sharpie. I'll keep looking for another.

wproct

Single-Sixer
Blued revolvers are beautiful. But they don't blue em like they used to. I also prefer stainless for easy maintenance
I also prefer stainless steel for the above mentioned reasons. However, I kinda take issue with the statement that new Ruger blued steel revolver finishes not being that great. I bought my 2015 Ruger Single-six LNIB and I think it's blued steel finish is pretty darned nice.

Attachments

• Single-six & box.jpg
    Single-six & box.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 66

eveled

Hawkeye
I don't really understand the paint marker thing you are referring to. It's just that the sharpie thing I have is marked Birchwood Casey, but Sharpie makes it, and it looks exactly just like a regular Sharpie. I'll keep looking for another.
Is this the one?
IMG_5429.png

Latest posts