What is the best bear gun?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bigbore5

Single-Sixer
I've hunted bear for 40 years now. I've taken 32, mostly with hounds, the smallest being a 285 pound black, largest was a 745 pound inland grizzly.
I've stopped 7 full charges at very close range.

My usual load out is two revolvers. They are more practical than a rifle when handling dogs and pushing through brush. I practice regularly with them and and hunt other games as well.

First is a Service Six 6" carried in a shoulder holster loaded with the MP 359-640 bullet on a max charge of H-110. The first two rounds are with the small hp pin cast at 10bhn, the rest are solids at 15bhn.

That 357 has killed most of my bears. It does it's job reliably every time. It's purpose is to take treed bear where you typically have time to place the shot well. It's second and most important role is when a bear bays and fights. It can be a real melee, and you don't want a bullet passing through and hitting a dog.

The second gun is a 500 Linebaugh.

For years it was a Redhawk built by John loaded with 430gr wfn at 1250fps cast 15bhn. The past few years I have been carrying a BFR 5" loaded with MP 525gr bullets at 1100fps. This is what is in my hand when coming up on a bayed and fighting bear. That's when a charge is most likely.

Facing a full charge requires destroying the cns and crushing supporting bones. Miss either and you lose. Period.

When putting out or servicing bait stations, typically I am carrying a Colt Delta Elite tuned by Leonard Baity years ago and still going strong. It's loaded with 215gr swc. I may be packing a 629 4" with 300gr wfn. Either will do it's job.

Pursuing a wounded bear, I tend to prefer the Benelli Super 90PS by SGT loaded alternating 1oz slug/000 buck or my M77 Safari 458 Lott because of their handling abilities as well as peace of mind.

Load out is the same whether it's the large black bear in North Carolina or Brown Bear in Alaska. A 500- 800 pound black has the same size as a 500-800 pound brown.

Frankly if I were really concerned about a bear attack an early model Thompson with a drum magazine would get my vote.

Folks are always saying you won't have time during a charge for multiple shots. Problem solved. And while the .45 acp isn't the most potent of rounds, put enough on target and the likelihood of success goes up.

I think bullet selection is a bigger factor especially with head shots. I'm absolutely sold on Lehigh's for dangerous things. Cuts through a windshield and several layers of clothes and still does a number on ballistic gel.

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
I do not hunt them, but if I am in their yard, my Sp101 4.2 has Buffalo Bore 180 grain flat nose hard cast Outdoorsman boomers in it.

rawly1

Single-Sixer
Here is a situation where the shooters life was saved because of the gun he had with him. My son, who hunts for living for an hunting magazine and is a bow hunter, shot a bear with his bow bow on Thursday. He stalked to within 15 yards of a bedded black bear. He couldn't shoot any sooner because of brush. Made a good quartering away shot shot on the bear. The bear got up, grunted and looked back at my son and charged.

My son immediately upon making the shot set his bow down and pulled out his Springfield XDS 45 acp. When the bear charged he made two shots. The first hit the front leg. The second at 8ft. he hit it between the eyes and the bear landed on his bow as my son jumped back a couple of feet. I do not feel the 45 is a good enough to be a good bear gun, but at 8 ft. my son put the bullet in the right spot and it did the job. I carry a S&W 629 for reasons already stated in previous threads. But any gun is better than nothing! The gun is not the best for accuracy but at 8 ft. he made the shot count. I have pics but can't post them because of this forum format.

He called me up and said it is the second time he has had to change his shorts because of a bear charging him.

John
The one you have on you and the bear is trying to eat you.

John in WYO

Single-Sixer
TLDR

Easy answer : .500 Linebaugh
Mic drop……

Look up Mark Sullivan, Africa big game hunting.
Pick a spot about 10-15 feet away and drop the hammer there.
It's gonna be hard to wait, but you CAN'T MISS.

I agree with Mark.

Last edited:
RvyHwmo.jpg

The original question is poorly worded. Many people assume the question has to do with grizzly bears, when in the lower 48 there are only about 3000 grizzlies, and that's only in about 4 states.

The size of black bears vary drastically in different parts of the country. In the west the average black bear is only about 250 pounds. In the east there are still average size black bears, with a few above average bears running up over 700 pounds.

Not every one can shoot the heaviest calibers with the heaviest bullets, accurately. But there are calibers and bullets that can be shot relatively accurately at the smaller but also aggressive black bears.

Please narrow your questions to what your real target could possibly be.

You will get better answers. Even in Alaska, not every bear is a grizzly, and not every grizzly is 800 pounds or more.

Last edited:
The 10mm is a joke if you are talking about big bears, and your life is on the line. The 10mm max's out in power at 728 ft. lbs. (Buffalo Bore and Grizzly) and 749 (Underwood). This is quite low in the revolver world. For instance, the .357 max's out at 907 ft. lbs, the .41 Mag at 1,074 (Buffalo Bore0, the .44 Mag at 1,544 (Buffalo Bore), and the .45 LC at 1,344 (Buffalo Bore) (and at this .45LC power level, you need to have a Ruger or BFR). All of these have substantially more power than the 10mm. So, if your life depends on it, do you really think that the weakest of all of these is the best? And if you are thinking that having a much bigger magazine makes up for the power difference, when you are being attack by a big bear charging at 35-40 MPH, you will have only a few seconds to fire, and maybe that would come to only 3-5 shots at most! Any for you loyal pistol owners out there, you can shoot a revolver just as fast as a semi-auto pistol, especially double action revolvers. With single action revolvers, like with the old Western style guns, you can fan these to get rounds off very quickly as well, as you see in a lot of westerns.
I hope much of this is sarcasm.

Latest posts