Want sizing die, .45 Colt, to size to .447"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
I have some problems with bullet creep with lighter .45 Colt handguns. My die manufacturer says that their die was originally set up for .454 bullets and was never made "smaller" to accommodate .452 bullets. That means that my sizer gives an i.d. of .449" which is not tight enough with heavier bullets and lighter guns. I have tried to move past this by using a somewhat famous third-party crimping die, to no avail.
Would appreciate your help; I don't want to tie up a gun at an "inconvenient" time. Thanks
Sonnytoo

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
Rifleman":1jpnk3ht said:
Lee recommends using a 45 ACP sizing die.

Thank you for that. I just happen to have one of those and will try it tonite and post the new size. Darn, wish I'd thought of that.
:) Sonnytoo

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
Rifleman":k3wu7aqh said:
Lee recommends using a 45 ACP sizing die.

I used my .45 ACP sizing die with the .45 Colt brass and my sized Starline and Federal brass went from 0.4495" to 0.446". Both brands of brass miked within 0.001" of each other. And yes, I turn down (read file and sandpaper) my expander plugs so they don't open up my brass too much.

YOU GUYS (AND GIRLS) ARE THE BEST! THANK YOU. My die manufacturer Customer Service guy did send me a new sizing die, which gave same dimension as old die, and said they are sending a new crimp die design, so they were trying...
Anyway, I'm very happy, as I am loading some Keith bullets that only leave 0.015" clearance to the end of the cylinder; not much room for creep.
I am so glad I asked you guys. I've been fighting this problem for months.
Sonny

dougader

Hunter
The smaller diameter sizing die is the way to go as you have seen by using the 45 acp/auto sizing die.

If your sizing die isn't small enough, no amount of crimp can fix the problem to my satisfaction. Case grip from a properly sized die, used in tandem with a proper crimp is the only way to go.

I say if your current die manufacturer hasn't caught up to the present, then go to another manufacturer. My RCBS dies purchased in about 1997 are perfect.