Thinking of converting super Blackhawk to......

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MaxP

Buckeye
CraigC said:
Varminterror said:
If you consider that most of the top guys charge around $750 for their "standard action job" these days....
Who the hell is doing that????

What constitutes a standard action job if I may ask?

whichwatch

Blackhawk
"His polishing is way overdone and his "engraving" is cheesy"

The two tone revolvers are just as cheesy in my opinion. But obviously there are guys out there who like them or else Gary wouldn't build them. I'll stick to a standard caliber with no engraving, or two toned stuff, and my dead deer will be just as dead as the one shot with a two toned, engraved gun :)

BearBio

Buckeye
whichwatch said:
"His polishing is way overdone and his "engraving" is cheesy"

The two tone revolvers are just as cheesy in my opinion. But obviously there are guys out there who like them or else Gary wouldn't build them. I'll stick to a standard caliber with no engraving, or two toned stuff, and my dead deer will be just as dead as the one shot with a two toned, engraved gun :)

Agreed. My guns are field guns=I use them and carry them in the field. I wanted a Ruger single action in 454, so I got one. Looking at the web sites, it would have cost twice as much elsewhere. My guns were bought for a PO'd bear or moose at 20 yards, not sitting on a wall or strutting at a range.

MaxP

Buckeye
Not all of the name brand smiths are expensive. Jack Huntington did this .480 for me for $1,600.00, and it shoots as well as it looks. I could have spent more on custom grips but wanted a budget build in .480 Ruger.

DSC_0022.jpg

k22fan

Blackhawk
MaxP said:

Now this conversion I like a lot but I also always found spike heels and bright red lipstick to be a turn off. A wiser man than me posted on another forum that it's a good thing we don't all want the same gal or the fist fighting would never end.

I'll make two comments on cartridges. Even with lower resale value conversions that you can not buy cartridges for come out less expensive in the end because you could not squander money testing how it shot with factory ammo. Second, resizing straight walled cases with carbide dies is a lot more convenient than lubing bottle neck brass. Other than wanting the extra recoil and power, as I see it those are the pros and cons of Reeder's wildcats.

bcgunworks

Single-Sixer
MaxP said:
CraigC said:
Varminterror said:
If you consider that most of the top guys charge around $750 for their "standard action job" these days....
Who the hell is doing that????

What constitutes a standard action job if I may ask?

I really need to up my prices then.... :roll:

I charge $85-150 for most action work......unless it's re-work some other smith screwed up.
Not to blow my own horn too much but I do all the above except I don't make cylinders from scratch. My prices are way under them.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
MaxP,

That's a nice conversion!! Not full of 'geegaws', just a nice factory looking custom! Handy 4" barrel.

I presume that did not include the price of the base gun. But did include the Bisley grip frame, grips, hammer & trigger.

Do you have some left over parts to sell?
Shoot it yet?

Jim

MaxP

Buckeye
Thanks, Jim!

Does not include the base gun -- I provided that and the Bisley grip. I've shot it quite a bit and it shoots really well.

CraigC

Hawkeye
BearBio said:
Looking at the web sites, it would have cost twice as much elsewhere. My guns were bought for a PO'd bear or moose at 20 yards, not sitting on a wall or strutting at a range.
Explain to me exactly how a blocked action, enlarged frame window, oversized, linebored cylinder contribute to wall hanging or range strutting???

Twice as much? A five-shot Reeder conversion runs $1600-$1800. Huntington will run you $1600 for a base conversion. He quoted me $2500 with an octagon barrel, which is usually a $500+ upcharge. Clements gets $1995. Bowen gets $2295. Linebaugh $2400. Gallagher $1995. Now it's been a long time since I was in math class but that doesn't look like double.

BearBio said:
My guns are field guns=I use them and carry them in the field.
Me too!
IMG_0134b.jpg

CraigC

Hawkeye
bcgunworks said:
Not to blow my own horn too much but I do all the above except I don't make cylinders from scratch. My prices are way under them.
How many five-shot conversions have you done?

bcgunworks

Single-Sixer
CraigC said:
bcgunworks said:
How many five-shot conversions have you done?

A good bit of my single action work is tuning them for optimal performance.
Trigger, timing, throats, crowns, re barreling and so on.

I do a handfull of 5 shot guns a year.

Most of my shops wheel gun work does tend to be more on the double action guns

BearBio

Buckeye
"BearBio wrote:Looking at the web sites, it would have cost twice as much elsewhere. My guns were bought for a PO'd bear or moose at 20 yards, not sitting on a wall or strutting at a range.

Explain to me exactly how a blocked action, enlarged frame window, oversized, linebored cylinder contribute to wall hanging or range strutting???

Twice as much? A five-shot Reeder conversion runs $1600-$1800. Huntington will run you $1600 for a base conversion. He quoted me $2500 with an octagon barrel, which is usually a $500+ upcharge. Clements gets $1995. Bowen gets $2295. Linebaugh $2400. Gallagher $1995. Now it's been a long time since I was in math class but that doesn't look like double.

Mine cost $1300 plus shipping, including magna porting, which I decided not to get. So, $1100 plus shipping. Clements wants $1995 for a BASIC 5-shot conversion. Bowen wants $2995 (quite a bit MORE than twice as much as $1100, according to my old math), Linebaugh is $2400 (still more than twice as much) and Gallagher wants $1995. (BTW: Extreme exaggeration is called "hyperbole" and is taught in high school English class)
BearBio wrote:My guns are field guns=I use them and carry them in the field.

Me too!"

Out west, our animals are much bigger than squirrels. But, yours are REAL pretty! Especially compared to my beat up Hawken and Colt's Dragoon I've carried through at least 3 states.

BearBio

Buckeye
MaxP said:
BearBio said:
Out west, our animals are much bigger than squirrels. But, yours are REAL pretty!

Huh? I shot this out east :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :

Man, aren't you ashamed? You shot a baby! ;-)

Can't really argue, although I don't think there are moose in Tennessee. Although moose won't eat you, they do scare me more than bears. These two walked through the parking lot at work, swam to the mall, went shopping in Macy's, crossed back and came back through on their way home.

This guy was hunting an elk calf momma had stashed in the sage (We were unarmed). Not too far from home.

MaxP

Buckeye
Here's a better look at my "baby" moose -- LOL!

P1010657.jpg

We South Easterners have some of the biggest black bears in North Carolina, don't forget -- I hunt them every year. Now we don't have as many elk, but we have wild hogs which are a staple for me.