The Eagle & The Osprey

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mattsbox99

Hunter
Or Chicken & Osprey :)

This has been a long wait but I finally picked up everything today. I had to drive 500 miles and it was dark by the time I got home so no shooting today but hopefully by the weekend. This is my SR1911 and SilencerCo Osprey silencer. The barrel is made by Storm Lake and they do a great job. I've read lots of reports of excellent accuracy and an overall very high quality product. Lots of suppressor guys are using these barrels. The Osprey works great with 9mm and .40 S&W also (it is rated for 10MM too) and so I also have a Storm Lake barrel for my M&P 40. The threaded part is in the Nielsen device (allows a semi auto to function with the extra barrel weight) and it just unscrews so I can swap the piston for the different thread on my .40. The Osprey isn't like conventional silencers, it is off centered so I don't need extra tall sights to clear the can. It has a locking cam that allows the body to be indexed so it doesn't look goofy.

Anyway, I'm not much of a photographer but here it all is:

Endcap.jpg

DSC01136.jpg

EagleOsprey2.jpg

EagleOsprey3.jpg

mattsbox99

Hunter
I did get to shoot it yesterday. Unfortunately the gunsmith I paid to fit the barrel didn't bother to actually check his work. Anyway, another gunsmith diagnosed the problem over the phone and I made an appointment to have him look at it next week so then I will be able to run it on the SR. With the M&P it was ridiculously quiet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFVx871pg1o&feature=plcp

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
The complete and utter lack of flash is very impressive. I didn't think that this was a feature of silencers.

Running them wet sure makes a difference as well. Looking at the numbers, I didn't think it was that big of a difference, but hearing it you can certainly tell.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Slim, rifle cans still have some flash, and if you've ever shot a SBR you know they have quite a flame. The suppressor really tones it down. SilencerCo's Saker has a flash hider that screws on the end of the can and tones it down to nothing.

I still use earplugs with it, although it is technically hearing safe. Functioning of the pistol has been flawless with the can on and the SL barrel is more accurate than the OEM barrel.

Its a whole new dimension of shooting. :)

mattsbox99

Hunter
I just got an M&P 45 a few weeks ago and I'm planning on getting the threaded barrel and putting tall sights on it to clear a can. So far I've shot a few hundred rounds through it and it is a really soft shooting .45. The only other poly .45 I've had was a G30 and I had a alloy Beretta Cougar too, those both had much harsher recoil than the M&P.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Well it took almost a month but I finally made it over to the gunsmith and it took him a few minutes to get it fitted properly. When I first asked him about the job he said 1911s didn't run well with suppressors. I decided to bring it along so he could check it out. After fitting we function tested the gun and it ran great. I convinced him to take a few shots with the suppressor on, and you should have seen the grin on his face. It was priceless.

modrifle3

Buckeye
How is the balance with the suppressor? Always wondered about the extra weight on the end of the barrel.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Its very well balanced on a 1911, the Osprey is only 11 ounces. As far as function goes, with the M&P it chucks brass all over, but with the suppressor it drops it all in a neat little pile.